OLA's I Just Bought

DonT

6 hours ago, Doug G. said:

Yup, get 'em fixed up so they sound new. Those are probably from 1973 or so, with those serial numbers.

Doug

Yes they have a 1973 date on the tweeter. I got them at a yard sale in a little dumpy trailer park. And it was the second day that they had the sale so everything was half price because they couldn't sell it the first day. Think about it? These sat there for a whole day at $10.00 for the pair and no one bought them. She was real happy I bought them because she didn't want to carry them yo the trash! She said she had a nice Bose system anyway ???

Well they are re-foamed. Now I just need the capacitors to get here. I hooked them up as is but they sound muddy compared to my KLH Fives. I am hoping the new Dayton caps change that. But for now I can start making them look better. I think they will clean up nicely.

CIMG0704.JPG

CIMG0705.JPG

CIMG0706.JPG

CIMG0707.JPG

CIMG0708.JPG

CIMG0709.JPG

On 8/10/2019 at 1:44 PM, DonT said:

if they sound even close to my KLH Fives it will be worth it.

The Advents look a LOT like the Fives but are not nearly as good IMHO. They're good, just not KLH Five good. I'm sure once you have the crossovers rebuilt they will sound very nice, but you won't be tempted to dump the Fives.

But what a great find! Those AND the 'sui!

Lots of people tell me they got rid of their vintage gear and bought a little Bose system that "sounds just as good."  Then I invite them to listen to their favorite music through my AR=91s and they're left speechless ?

"Lots of people tell me they got rid of their vintage gear and bought a little Bose system that "sounds just as good."  Then I invite them to listen to their favorite music through my AR=91s and they're left speechless ?"

We had a friend and his wife over from out of state. She's a classical concert pianist and teacher. My friend and I were listening to jazz trio recording in my 1st floor "music room." The French doors were closed, but you could still hear in the rest of the house. My wife and his wife were in the kitchen, talking.

All of a sudden, the door bursts open. It's my friend's wife. "Where is that piano? Who's playing? What......?"

AR9's, powered by 400 distortion-free Parasound  2250 watts per side.

Me, smiling. JKent is about, oh, 100% correct. People just don't know how absolutely stunning truly great audio is. Stunning. Jaw-dropping.

8 hours ago, Steve F said:

"Lots of people tell me they got rid of their vintage gear and bought a little Bose system that "sounds just as good."  Then I invite them to listen to their favorite music through my AR=91s and they're left speechless ?"

We had a friend and his wife over from out of state. She's a classical concert pianist and teacher. My friend and I were listening to jazz trio recording in my 1st floor "music room." The French doors were closed, but you could still hear in the rest of the house. My wife and his wife were in the kitchen, talking.

All of a sudden, the door bursts open. It's my friend's wife. "Where is that piano? Who's playing? What......?"

AR9's, powered by 400 distortion-free Parasound  2250 watts per side.

Me, smiling. JKent is about, oh, 100% correct. People just don't know how absolutely stunning truly great audio is. Stunning. Jaw-dropping.

What a story. I love my KLH fives and totally understand how you feel about Bose lol. I had a newer set of Focals and after a week of listening and everyone telling me how much better they where than my KLH I sold them on ebay. They couldn't even compare to the KLH in my personal opinion.  

By the by, have you considered converting these to the Rev.2, 16uf/8uf crossover versions?

I did this to one of my pairs, and it's obviously an added obnoxious step, but thought (and this is a big ol' shrug from me) is that the newer revision was better.

38 minutes ago, Guido57 said:

I think PeteB preferred Rev.2 and also pointed that the "dot" inductors could be problematic.

Yes, and when I rebuilt mine I went with Rev 2 and heavier inductors. BUT the original inductors have a higher DCR than the heavier ones and were part of the overall design and voicing. I would recommend sticking with original inductors.

Kent

I got the new caps in and WOW it made a huge difference! Now they sound like something Henry Kloss made. Still not quite as good as the KLH Fives but real close. All I can say is I LOVE yard sales! So far I have got the KLH Fives for $10.00 and now these for $5.00. After rebuilding both pairs I have about $130.00 in 2 pair of great speakers!

1 hour ago, ligs said:

Speaking of keeping these as close to the original as possible, It is interesting to note that the original Advent woofer has inverted foam roll as in this instruction video. 

That is exactly how I did mine. If it looks different to you it is just the pic.

Masonite ring woofers have inverted roll surrounds, all of them, or SHOULD have. The later all-metal woofers have standard mount with the roll poking out, or SHOULD have. The only way they get switched is if a subsequent owner changes them or a "professional" changes them.

Doug

6 hours ago, Doug G. said:

Masonite ring woofers have inverted roll surrounds, all of them, or SHOULD have. The later all-metal woofers have standard mount with the roll poking out, or SHOULD have. The only way they get switched is if a subsequent owner changes them or a "professional" changes them.

Doug

I hope no one is confused about mine because I installed them just like you said Doug. They are inverted. If it looks different to anyone it must be an optical illusion of my picture. Oh and I have been listening to these stacked on my KLH Fives and I LOVE them like that. It just sounds great! I think I might still keep my eye out for another pair of Fives though ?

• 2 years later...