AR 10pi woofer problems

lARrybody

• 7 months later...

In 1977 I bought a pair of AR-10pi speakers paired with a Marantz 1150D amplifier ( I still use this amplifier). The system sounded great. Somewhere around 1995 I replaced the AR's subwoofers foam suspension.  Last year (2021) I replaced all the speakers in the AR-10pi cabinets with replacements that I bought from simplyspeakers.com. The replacement speakers sound very good to me although I have heard comments that the subwoofer replacements are not up to par with the originals.  I have, however, kept and carefully stored all the original speakers. The subwoofers foam suspension seem to be the weak point and they will need refoaming.

In 2009 I bought a set of Genelec studio speakers with a 10" sub and 2 active satellite speakers for my video studio. As soon as I heard them I said to myself "they sound just ike the AR's".

IMG_20220402_124546.jpg

IMG_20220401_155616.jpg

5 hours ago, Cyoumans said:

"they sound just like the AR's".

I'm skeptical. First, your speakers are no longer ARs. The SS replacement drivers are not AR drivers. I'm also skeptical that a pair of ported mini speakers + a sub would sound just like the ARs. BUT I didn't listen to them so I may be mistaken.

In any case, welcome to CSP. Hope my comments don't put you off.

Kent

It is very hard to remember exactly what the AR's sounded like 45 years ago.  My hearing has certainly deteriorated since then as well. But when the AR's fitted with the new ss speakers are compared right next to the Genelecs they sound pretty  good.