New Amp for my Old AR3a

der

Still listening to my original pair of 3a that I purchased new in 1969. I've never heard anything that I've liked better so why change?. Over the years I had to replace the mid ranges because of an amp failure.  That was my first amp that I drove the 3a's with - the AR amp. I believe it was rated at 60 WPC RMS into 4 ohms.  In the past 10 years I've done some speaker maintenance - rebuilt the crossovers and replaced the pots and resealed the woofer cloth surrounds. Amazingly, both tweeters still have good output that even my 72 year old ears can detect.

But, this post is more about amplification than my  speakers.  After the AR amp blew up I intended on having repaired but it got lost in the shuffle and I bought a Technics receiver that I used for maybe 25 years.  It wasn't much but I wasn't listening that much, career, family, etc. Then came a Harman Kardon receiver that did duty for approximately 6. I was never really happy with either.  For the past year or so I explored other amps. I've looked and inquired about vintage this or that and also looked into something new with a remote (old guys like remotes) with plenty of power.

I ended up buying a new Yamaha A-S701.  It has an optical output for CD and it's own DAC. It does have a phone input but I prefer my Cambridge pre although the built in isn't bad at all. All tone controls can be switched out - which I prefer.

My 3a have never sounded better, This little Yamaha makes the whole system sound new again. Yamaha doesn't specify the 4 ohm power output but I believe it to be between 120 -150 watts RMS.  I must say, after 50 years of ownership it's almost like I've never really heard these speakers.  I listen to vinyl mainly, and usually jazz.  It's like I have a whole new system.

You might guess that I'm a bit excited about this acquisition.  Sorry if I bored you all but had to post.

17 minutes ago, lARrybody said:

I don't think you could have made a better choice. The pure direct option on that amp is awesome.

Yes it is. I am not exaggerating, my 3a have never sounded better. I don't think they've ever been adequately driven. 

Just curious. What Harman Kardon receiver were you using for 6 years, and what was deficient about it?

I've had a Harman Kardon receivers for a number of years, the latest being the HK 3490, and have been very happy with them. I'm not driving AR3's rented at 4 ohms, but all my speakers were either vintage KLH, Advent, or EPI and I thought the HK receivers paired well with them, especially the HK 3490 rated at 120 WPC.

It's a 3480. Well, first I lost the phono section altogether. Noise and distortion. But, I primarily was using a separate Cambridge phono preamp with my main table anyway so I let that go. There was something missing with the HK.  I'm not good with adjectives describing sound but there was a lack of punch with it. This became even more apparent when I got the Yamaha. The AR's sounded like a different speaker - much more dynamic. Bass deep and tight, high end sparkles. I tend to judge reproduction compared to live music and the new amp brings my a gear a step closer.

I don't know, maybe there have been other problems with my HK from the beginning. Perhaps the failure of the phono section begat other issues. But, it never suffered noise or distortion with the other inputs.  It's not that it sounds particularly bad but it pales mightily to the new Yamaha. I suspect it has something to do with the load the 4 ohm AR3a presents. I've driven my AR4x with the HK and thought they sounded very good.

I am very happy with it. I think it's a good option for those owning AR - especially 4 ohm models. Not that expensive and it has a remote. Handy for us older people.