AR9, 9LS, 9LSi which do you prefer...

Scoup

That makes perfect sense, taming the wild beast so to speak.  I have not done any scientific measurement of where the issue is from a frequency perspective, but it finally hit home while listening to the AR91's I refurbished next to the AR9LSi's.  They sounded remarkably alike (no surprise) until particular female vocal came through at what appears to be around 2K on my graphic equalizer.  The adjustments I made are close to what you've found, but the equalizer impacts both pairs of speakers.  

That's when it hit me about having a similar crossover design built into the AR9LSi, with both -3 and -6db down for all three upper drivers.  Schematic review shows all three driver circuits are different enough to indicate this is not just a "get the same resistor network parts" from the AR9 and wire it all up (although I have been known to do that).

Leading to my question if anyone has taken the time to do such a design?

AR9 Crossover Schematic.jpg

AR9LSi Crossover.jpg

11 hours ago, briodo said:

while listening to the AR91's I refurbished next to the AR9LSi's. 

I thought you were comparing to 9 to 9lsi.  With both at zero db attenuation and on the same equalizer they have very similar spectral balance.  Set the 91s to zero attenuation and they should be very similar.  It works for me with a 58s which is the same as a 91 but no switches.   I am not saying the 12" 3way  vertical series sounds the same as either 9, just very similar spectral balance in the upper mid-range when models with attenuation switches are at 0db.

I appreciate that feedback, and my comparison was on the upper range of the two speakers.  I have not done an A/B with 9 & 9LSi.  They are on different floors of my house and my wife drew the line on helping with speaker relocation other than out to the garage...

I use the term listening to music VS the speaker with the 9.  It simply disappears in ways the 9LSi does not.  Both set ups have same amplifier, preamp, and source so I'm left wondering about what else I can tweak.  Harry recommended resistor change and fiberglass type insulation for dampening, which I believe would help based on other sources confirming it works better than polyester fill.  Then again, the 9 uses that white polyester fill.  

It may be I have to just start experimenting similar to what others have done.

Thanks for letting me vent!