Ar7 tweeter replacement

AL78

Hi I hope you can help me.I have one tweeter on my ar7(frontal wiring) gone.The redoing the coil it's very expensive.I have found a tweeter for ar 8s part numer 200038.Since it's almost impossbile to find the original do you thing this could do the job?thanks

3 hours ago, AL78 said:

I have one tweeter on my ar7(frontal wiring) gone.The redoing the coil it's very expensive.

Hi AL78 - - - I'm not quite sure exactly what the problem is that you are describing here.

Nonetheless, that tweeter part number 038 from the AR-8s should probably be a suitable replacement driver - - it is a rear-wired later version of the original front-wired 1-1/4" tweeter used in the AR-7. It is constructed a bit differently from the original, and it may have slightly increased sensitivity. The newer 038 tweeter employs ferrofluid and has a larger diameter magnet, and in fact might be the same tweeter mentioned in a Euro version of this speaker called the AR-7x, as noted in this thread started by you six years ago. 

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/7668-ar-7x/

I suspect making this substitution might require two alterations. The first is that the cabinet cutout for the tweeter may need to be slightly enlarged in order to fit the larger magnet diameter of the newer tweeter. Secondly, I think you might want to disconnect the internal wires leading to the backside of the front terminals, and then add female disconnect terminals to snap on to the rear tabs on the 038 tweeter. 

First pic shows smaller magnets from AR-7 tweeters. Second pic shows 034 (left) and 038 (right) tweeters with larger diameter magnets.

tweets rear.jpg

034, 038 tweets rear.jpg

Hi thanks the problem with the ar7(not the same pair of my last discussion)unfortunately needs to be rewired.Anyway if you tell me that the sound won't be compromise I will buy it as soon as the seller provide me with proof that works.About the fitting my brother is quite handy so I don't think is going to be a problem.Of course I will fit  it with back wiring.Do you know what is the difference in size?

28 minutes ago, AL78 said:

.....if you tell me that the sound won't be compromise.....

I think this tweeter should work well as a replacement, but I would say that it seems to be the general agreement among members that these newer tweeters might contribute a bit more HF output than the older originals. They are excellent tweeters - - - all in the same family - - - and this 038 tweeter worked very well for me in an AR-6 project (see image) where the front-wire terminals were abandoned. However, this pair of AR-6's have fully functional rotary pot controls for HF adjustment, whereas your AR-7's just have the two-position switch for attenuation.

Not sure if this an option for you, but normally I like to make identical changes to both speakers at the same time when working on paired (stereo) speakers.   

On magnet sizes, the original should be 2-1/8" diameter (54 mm), and the 038 should be 2-3/8" (60 mm). My AR-6's did not require enlargement of the magnet hole, but did require some wood removal to allow for the tweeter tabs to fit.

rear-wire tweet.jpg

AR-6 tweeter opening.jpg

thanks again.Yeah I would love to have a pair but for now I only found one.I've already though about it iIwill fix one speaker than in the future I will buy the match tweeter or maybe who knows i will find two original front wired tweeters thanks.Since we are here.How did you do the front to back wire?Did you pull the woofer out and rewired everything or you removed the front wood wedge where the connectors of the old wiring are?

It is really of no benefit to remove the oval-shaped terminal plug - - it is loaded with staples and is made from 1/4" Masonite. If my memory serves me correctly, I snipped the original green and yellow tweeter wires right behind these terminals, stripped off the colored insulation, and then soldered or crimped new push-on female terminals to fit the male tabs on the tweeters as shown.  And yes - - - in order to snip these wires, the woofer must be removed.

Let us know how this works out if you end up going this route. I have a couple pairs of AR-7's, but they both have very good original front-wired tweeters. If they were to ever fail or become damaged, I would have no hesitation about pursuing this solution to use substitute 038 tweeters with rear wiring.    

P1120837.jpg

P1120847.jpg

4 hours ago, AL78 said:

thanks again.Yeah I would love to have a pair but for now I only found one.I've already though about it iIwill fix one speaker than in the future I will buy the match tweeter

I have (2) 038 tweeters available. Send me a PM if interested.

Roy

I think the 038 tweeters are something special indead. They are going to play a little louder than the original AR7 tweeter and have a bit more sizzle. In March I found a pair of AR8b's at a local thrift store for next to nothing and snatched them up. Didn't really want a pair of 8b's, but I wanted those 038 tweeters.

cORiZHz.jpg

9 hours ago, ra.ra said:

It is really of no benefit to remove the oval-shaped terminal plug - - it is loaded with staples and is made from 1/4" Masonite. If my memory serves me correctly, I snipped the original green and yellow tweeter wires right behind these terminals, stripped off the colored insulation, and then soldered or crimped new push-on female terminals to fit the male tabs on the tweeters as shown.  And yes - - - in order to snip these wires, the woofer must be removed.

Let us know how this works out if you end up going this route. I have a couple pairs of AR-7's, but they both have very good original front-wired tweeters. If they were to ever fail or become damaged, I would have no hesitation about pursuing this solution to use substitute 038 tweeters with rear wiring.    

Thanks I will disconnect the wire from behind and put females plugs.Let's hope the wire is long enough I would prefer not to make to much connection

7 hours ago, AL78 said:

Let's hope the wire is long enough

That's a really good point - - so often this internal wiring has very little extra length available. As I recall, the original wires in my AR-6 tweeter replacement were long enough, but not by much. Splicing extra length is always an option, but hopefully not necessary.

15 hours ago, lARrybody said:

I think the 038 tweeters are something special indeed. They are going to play a little louder than the original AR7 tweeter and have a bit more sizzle.

Glad to see you add your two cents here - - - I know we've discussed the merits of these tweeters before, and I would tend to agree with this assessment.

15 hours ago, lARrybody said:

I found a pair of AR8b's at a local thrift store...

You have such an admirable collection of so many AR models that I would encourage you to simply restore these 8b's as complete two-ways instead of scavenging parts. Despite my personal disaffection for the cabinet styling and budget slashing that haunts the "B" lineup, all of the models in this series that I have heard are terrific performers (I personally have 18b and 28b models). IMO, the nearly identical speaker had a far better look in the Euro market - - this appears to be the model (AR-8s) where AL78 might be getting his tweeter.      

AR-8s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi so everything is right in its place.As I thsought the wire were short so i had to ad some wire.There was enough clereance for the tweeter magnet but of course I had to trim some wood for the connections.Took me one hour to do all.The new tweeter is a little higher frequency but since the ar has the switch behind i had to put the new one in the standard gain position and the old one in higher position.The difference was really thin,and i think a part of this is the fact that i know the tweeters are different,pretty sure in a blind listening won't hear differences.Thanks to all,unfortunately i had to throw away the cabinet since the woofer was non original and i only got one speakers.Thanks really to all

14 hours ago, AL78 said:

.....I had to put the new one in the standard gain position and the old one in higher position...

Thanks for reporting this difference - - it pretty much confirms what might be expected using the more recent and sensitive tweeter (038), and good to know that the switch is able to provide sufficient compensation. Happy to hear that this all worked out.