2 pairs of Allison 3s, 1 pair of Allison IC-10s, 1 pair of Allison (not sure of model)

My father passed away and my mom is moving out of the house. My father was an avid Allison speaker fan and has 4 pairs in great condition. I would really like these to go to someone who appreciates them at least for parts or using them. They are very lightly used as most of them had never been used in my father’s house and remained in boxes. Let me know if anyone would be interested in making a minimal offer (even if you just want to pay to ship them your way). The speakers are in St. Paul, MN. 4 are Allison 3s (corner style) in a cherry wood. 2 of them have crossovers in them and 2 do not. Another pair is a black pair of IC-10s with crossovers. The grills are scratched but the speakers are in great shape. The last pair is rosewood and appear to be from the Allison Acoustics company and look like the traditional Allison loud speakers but I’m not sure on the model. Let me know if you’re interested and if you need more info. I’m not an audiophile so you might have to explain thing in laymen’s terms to me. Thanks and hope someone will love these!

A bit more info on the model 3s. I believe 1 pair is intact (but not sure if they are fully functioning as I have never tried to hook them up). I think the other pair might just be the cabinets, so really looking at 1 pair of speakers. And as far as shipping to TX, I  looked at an estimate online and it looks like it would be several hundred dollars. I don’t think that price would be worthwhile when I can’t guarantee the condition. Sorry, wish you were closer and I would just drop them off for you.

46 minutes ago, Long Live Roy said:

A bit more info on the model 3s. I believe 1 pair is intact (but not sure if they are fully functioning as I have never tried to hook them up). I think the other pair might just be the cabinets, so really looking at 1 pair of speakers. And as far as shipping to TX, I  looked at an estimate online and it looks like it would be several hundred dollars. I don’t think that price would be worthwhile when I can’t guarantee the condition. Sorry, wish you were closer and I would just drop them off for you.

Indeed.  It would appear this was not meant to be.   I  have a brother-in-law in the Twin Cities area, but I don't think he has the space to store them for me indefinitely.   And, he has little ones.  Sigh....

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:24 AM, Long Live Roy said:

Thanks for the heads up on Hi-Fi Sound. I’m posting pictures of all of these. The last ones are the model I am unsure about. I took one picture with the grill off in case that helps identify them.

0718B195-9DA6-43F9-AE03-7C5F950E8413.jpeg

A2BEED77-5F3C-4150-A1B1-609F6D23D067.jpeg

76238204-DF95-4134-97C0-A5E47EEE646A.jpeg

00C47E40-4CF8-42B3-8DC5-479F3E9724FD.jpeg

Do they still available? If so, would you contact me via email w2143335747@yahoo.com.hk?

Thanks! 

William

I don't know much about the IC-10, but the rest look like the later Kentucky versions of the original Allison series. I used to own an an Allison One, but sold it a few years ago, replacing it with a set of Revel M22 stand-mounts. As I recall, the later Allisons updated the One, Three and Four series, maybe others. Very desirable - and count me among those desiring one of those Threes. The Three has drivers on just one face, arranged like those shown in the last photo. The One has *two* such faces and would be positioned well in from the corners. I'm wondering if the mystery models might be One's. I'm curious why one set of Threes would lack the crossovers, without which one has just a bunch of drivers in a box - albeit a nice box here.

On 5/15/2019 at 8:24 PM, austingonzo said:

Indeed.  It would appear this was not meant to be.   I  have a brother-in-law in the Twin Cities area, but I don't think he has the space to store them for me indefinitely.   And, he has little ones.  Sigh....

@Long Live Roy what is the status of the remaining 3's?  Did you dispose of them already or are you in a hurry to do so?

I have plenty of unused vacation on the books, a 2018 Mazda 3 hatchback needing some highway miles and am just crazy enough to consider a cross-country drive for fun.

I probably couldn't look at this until mid-July though, as I am vacationing in LA with my son at the top of the month.

austingonzo

I still have the 3s, probably until the end of July as my mom is moving out of her old house. Unfortunately I can’t store them any longer than that. And just to be clear from earlier posts, I believe this to be one pair of corner (one face) speakers and one pair of just the cabinets. I’m guessing the cabinets were in better shape and maybe my dad wanted to switch the existing speakers into the empty cabinets? I have no idea if the speakers work or will need fixing. I can definitely set up a meeting time and place if you want to make the long drive (they’re free).

1 hour ago, Long Live Roy said:

I still have the 3s, probably until the end of July as my mom is moving out of her old house. Unfortunately I can’t store them any longer than that. And just to be clear from earlier posts, I believe this to be one pair of corner (one face) speakers and one pair of just the cabinets. I’m guessing the cabinets were in better shape and maybe my dad wanted to switch the existing speakers into the empty cabinets? I have no idea if the speakers work or will need fixing. I can definitely set up a meeting time and place if you want to make the long drive (they’re free).

I understand. I'll see if my wife commits me for being certifiable.  If she doesn't, I'll start thinking about a road trip in late July.

As it relates to the 3s, I don't know that I'd have much use for extra cabinets.  I'm not that kind of audiophile.  :-)

On 6/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, rnathans00 said:

I don't know much about the IC-10, but the rest look like the later Kentucky versions of the original Allison series. I used to own an an Allison One, but sold it a few years ago, replacing it with a set of Revel M22 stand-mounts. As I recall, the later Allisons updated the One, Three and Four series, maybe others. Very desirable - and count me among those desiring one of those Threes. The Three has drivers on just one face, arranged like those shown in the last photo. The One has *two* such faces and would be positioned well in from the corners. I'm wondering if the mystery models might be One's. I'm curious why one set of Threes would lack the crossovers, without which one has just a bunch of drivers in a box - albeit a nice box here.

@rnathans00, are the latter-day KY Threes considered in any way inferior to the original production run?  For instance, were lower quality drivers employed with them?

I wonder if it would be possible to send photos of the drivers and the back connections on those Allison Threes. That would tell us a lot about what's in them. Also, if you could provide a ZIP,  I'd want to check with a nearby UPS Store to see what it would cost to package and ship them. I know some shops will even fetch them. The original Threes show up on rare occasion, but they're typically 40-odd years old and not in great shape. Yours are from the '90s and look to be in nice shape. Thanks.

Austinginzo

So I’m the lucky duck who snagged the model 1s from Jeff. I have direct experience with both the older Allison products and now this new version. IMO the new mids and tweets  are superior in resolution and accuracy while still maintaining the pleasant New England sound. The model 1s from Jeff had some incorrect wiring which I was able to correct by referencing older designs. This brings me to the woofers. Original model ones had them wired in phase with each other. When I wired the new model ones this way they were extremely bass heavy. some Allison speakers the woofers are wired push-pull. Wired this way the bass is  very articulate if a touch thin. I will likely add a sub. Perhaps the single woofer model 3 will be just right? 

Crossover caps were indeed electrolytic. I upgraded to mylar and the difference is significant. 

If you have the aptitude to dig into some minor problems and do a cap swap I think the 3s may have strong potential. 

1 hour ago, CAllyn said:

Austinginzo

So I’m the lucky duck who snagged the model 1s from Jeff. I have direct experience with both the older Allison products and now this new version. IMO the new mids and tweets  are superior in resolution and accuracy while still maintaining the pleasant New England sound. The model 1s from Jeff had some incorrect wiring which I was able to correct by referencing older designs. This brings me to the woofers. Original model ones had them wired in phase with each other. When I wired the new model ones this way they were extremely bass heavy. some Allison speakers the woofers are wired push-pull. Wired this way the bass is  very articulate if a touch thin. I will likely add a sub. Perhaps the single woofer model 3 will be just right? 

Crossover caps were indeed electrolytic. I upgraded to mylar and the difference is significant. 

If you have the aptitude to dig into some minor problems and do a cap swap I think the 3s may have strong potential. 

As befits a newbie, I underappreciated how thorny a simple question like the one I raised would be.  I recently joined the Yahoo! group as well, which means there are years of conversations about these topics that I did not see or participate in at the time they were topical.  I appreciate the response, @CAllyn.  After reading a bunch of group postings about KY, I think the proper position for me to take is to not look a gift horse in the mouth.  ;-)

23 hours ago, austingonzo said:

As befits a newbie, I underappreciated how thorny a simple question like the one I raised would be.  I recently joined the Yahoo! group as well, which means there are years of conversations about these topics that I did not see or participate in at the time they were topical.  I appreciate the response, @CAllyn.  After reading a bunch of group postings about KY, I think the proper position for me to take is to not look a gift horse in the mouth.  ?

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble.  Of course there’s a chance there’s nothing wrong with them and you can enjoy them as they are like a normal person would. ? @Long Live Roy is making a wonderful gesture. 

5 minutes ago, CAllyn said:

Sorry, didn’t mean to ramble.  Of course there’s a chance there’s nothing wrong with them and you can enjoy them as they are like a normal person would. ?

Not at all.  Based upon the few hundred posts I read, your response was factual and tactfully put.

13 hours ago, Long Live Roy said:

Here’s a quick update on the 3s.  austingonzo has squatter’s rights on them if he can make his travel arrangements. If not, others have started asking about taking them. Please email me at producerjeff@hotmail.com with any serious inquiries. Thanks.

@Long Live Roy

My offer was a last resort effort to ensure they went to someone who would appreciate them.  I release my "squatter's rights" in favor of your getting them out of your mom's house asap.  I am happy to go to the end of the line.  Thanks for your consideration.