Ar-3a Capacitor Advice

swayzeeee

14 hours ago, DavidR said:

Roy, where did I say the Clarity caps had a warm sound?

You are correct, David. You said "They (Dayton capacitors) are OK for shunt caps but I find them horrible for a series cap. Clarity CSA are wonderful in AR speakers IMO."  A follow-up response by another forum member found Clarity caps to be "warmer". I was generalizing about the irrelevant direction you were taking the thread to make my point. I'm glad we cleared that up. ?

Roy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I didn't find Dayton capacitors "horrible", I did experience quite a bit if sibilance from them.  Very spitty at times.  I added a film bypass cap, which cleaned up the issue.

Also, I've found everyone's contributions helpful in this discussion.  Nothing "irrelevant" has been presented, IMO.  I'm sorry that others feel the same.  I find it informative to read about like and alternate experiences.  So when I say, to me, ClarityCaps did have a "warm" tone, it's what I personally heard.  Others may not find the same.  But I hope they at least find my capacitor experiments helpful, regardless?  I'd hate to feel someone would think I'm expounding nonsense, just to stir-the-pot.  That's not in my nature.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:23 PM, RoyC said:

I was generalizing about the irrelevant direction you were taking the thread to make a point.

I don't think it was irrelevant and I do think Daytons are horrible as a series cap as per my experience. But thank you for clearing up who said what. It's an open forum and my opinion is as worthy as yours.

8 hours ago, Stimpy said:

While I didn't find Dayton capacitors "horrible", I did experience quite a bit if sibilance from them.  Very spitty at times.  I added a film bypass cap, which cleaned up the issue.

Also, I've found everyone's contributions helpful in this discussion.  Nothing "irrelevant" has been presented, IMO.  I'm sorry that others feel the same.  I find it informative to read about like and alternate experiences.  So when I say, to me, ClarityCaps did have a "warm" tone, it's what I personally experiencec.  Others may not find the same.  But I hope they at least find my findings helpful.  I'd hate to think someone would think I'm expounding nonsense, just to stir-the-pot.  That's not my nature.

There are endless threads dedicated to (and hijacked by) film capacitor "nuance" fans. Any reader of audio forums knows it is a subject of great debate, lots of listening opinions, and very little science. My point is that the nature of the OP's question did not call for turning this thread into another one of those. Frankly, there are many people who would strongly disagree with David's assessment of Dayton capacitors. Considering the question upon which this thread was started (advice regarding the cost of npes vs film capacitors), this is not the place to have this debate. 

Roy

Well, the OP did title the thread "Ar-3a Capacitor Advice".  Plus, the OP specifically mentioned looking at "metalized polypropylene crossover capacitors at Parts Express".  So, I personally felt there was an interest in discussing poly film capacitors, as well as electrolytic caps.  So, I didn't see any harm in talking about various brands of capacitors, and if there are differences in sound.  Otherwise, I guess the OP would have mentioned an interest in just NPE's? 

Regardless, I'll leave this thread alone, as further capacitor discussion doesn't seem to be welcomed or warranted.  A shame too,  as I feel our AR's are more deserving than a like-for-like parts replacement policy.

CSP's focus is on repair and restoration. If you contemplated installing something in your vintage ARs knowing it was going to produce "differences in sound," and didn't make the necessary adjustments to compensate for those differences, we'd boot the discussion over to "Mods, Tweaks, and Upgrades to the Classics."

I could do a capacitor A/B switched comparison at one of the Frankenfests if anyone is interested.

We could start a thread in the Mods section if so.

5 minutes ago, Pete B said:

I could do a capacitor A/B switched comparison at one of the Frankenfests if anyone is interested.

We could start a thread in the Mods section if so.

Didn't I read where you have done this before?  It would be edifying IMO to follow an updated version.

I've done it for many years, maybe once every 10 years or so.

I'll think about it for one of the fests.

Archived