Another AR3 Story for you

Ki Choi

My first post here.

After owning a pair of AR3s but regretting selling them, I was searching for a pair of AR3s locally with no luck that is until now.  I ran into a pair of one owner AR3s that are completely unmolasted.

Strangely the guy had AR logo and model 3 badge pinned upside down on the grilles.  Thus he had placed both speakers' top as bottom with tweeters in the ground it seemed.  So the top of the speakers are in bad shape with its seams showing gaps and wood veneer in poor shape. Serial numbers are 66205 and 66201.  The grille clothes were a little discolored from its age and somewhat wrapped from moisture at one corner and glued into the front of the speakers.  I removed them carefully and place them under another heavy speakers to flatten them back.  I think I can clean and wash the grille clothes too.

With help from the forum member Glenn, I contacted RoyC for the mid range drivers rebuilds and replacement pots.  They are on their way to NY.

The challenge would be how to repair the gaps in seams of the speakers (at the top section now- one part of the corner had swollen) and properly refinish the wood veneer. Unfortunately I don't have Glenn's veneering skill.  So I am considering taking the speakers to the professional furniture refinisher I had used once before.

Thanks,

Ki

PS: I tried to post few JPG photos of the speakers but failing to upload.  I'll attempt it again as a follow up post.

IMG_3448.jpg

IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3450.jpg

IMG_3451.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

IMG_3453.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

Edited by Ki Choi
smaller image files uploaded

3 hours ago, ligs said:

With my desktop computer I have the same problem. However, I can take a screenshot of the same picture using SNIP function to create a PNG file. I can load PNG files without any problem. 

Ligs  

The snipping tool allows you to perform a copy and paste directly into CSP without saving as a file unless of course that is what you want to do.  This was copied and pasted from a snip and is 79KB image.png.f779dbd4e835b9f23cc872bb494bef00.png

12 hours ago, Aadams said:

Ligs  

The snipping tool allows you to perform a copy and paste directly into CSP without saving as a file unless of course that is what you want to do.  This was copied and pasted from a snip and is 79KB image.png.f779dbd4e835b9f23cc872bb494bef00.png

Thanks,

Good to know there is a shortcut  to copy and paste snips onto the CSP post!!

I normally like to edit the snipped files to make texts and graphs more legible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ki,

I finally responded to your PM, sorry for the late reply. Did you bring these to your cabinets to the refinished? If so, I'm curious how they came out, and what they used to fill in the corner gaps.

Looking forward to your report after you get the mids back in from Roy.

Glenn