JKent Posted March 8, 2019 Report Share Posted March 8, 2019 Just for fun. My local electronics store (Wayne Electronics) had some surplus tweeters for sale so I thought I'd fool around with a pair. The "cabinets" are black ABS 3" couplings from Lowes. I buffed them by hand with some white Scotch Brite to soften the appearance. The OD is about 4" and just a hair smaller than the tweeter mounting rings. Close enough. The backs are Masonite discs left over from making small speaker grilles for the KLH Model Eight. A wee bit smaller diameter than the coupling but again--close enough. For the innerds I used my MicroStatics as a guide. The MS have a pot for volume and a 2-way switch to select the crossover point. The capacitors are two 1uF, used singly for the higher crossover or paralleled for the lower point. I used parts from my parts boxes. Didn't use a volume control. The toggle switches had been bought form allelectronics.com for another project. Cheap. I experimented with caps and found that 2uF made the crossover too low (by ear) so I went with 1uF and 0.47uF. The banana jacks were purchased at steep discount when a local Rat Shack went out of business. The biggest dilemma was how to put everything together. There was nothing to screw the tweeters to. So I was putting together an order for Albany County Fasteners (great resource btw). Decided to get some 6-32 threaded rod, stainless acorn nuts and washers. The back plates were drilled with holes to line up with the face plate, then glued on with Permatex 81158 Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant. Then came the tricky part: I SHOULD HAVE bought brass threaded rod but I got plated steel. Cut four 4" lengths and pushed them through from the back but of course they stuck to the large magnet on the tweeter! Eventually, with cussing and using various picks I managed to get them together. Glad I didn't put the sealant on the front or I would have had a real mess. So how to keep them from rolling off the shelf. I had a few thoughts but ended up wandering through Michael's (with my 40% off coupon! What a geezer!) and found some wooden beads. I selected a bag of ~3/4" diameter. They came drilled through for stringing so I drilled one end of each with a larger diameter drill so I could use screws to mount them as front feet. Put a coat of stain on them and will dip them in poly one of these days. For the rear I used a single self-adhesive rubber bumper so the base is a tripod and the tweeters are tilted upward slightly. That's it. Hooked them up with my AR-91s and like the added sparkle, air or whatever. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.