Old Man and his AR 4Xa

EarleH

Hi,  As you might guess, I'm 89 and my years of soldering are gone.  My problem is, I have a pair of AR 4Xa.  On the back of one is a rotary knob indicating  increase and decrease.  The one has a switch indicating increase and decrease neither appear to be replacements since the printing goes with increase and decrease.  I would not be concerned, but neither seem to effect the sound.  I do wear hear aids witch may effect my hearing of highs, although when listening to music I take the hearing aids off and turn the volume up.  I drive the speakers with a Pioneer SX 3600, CD changer Yamaha CDC 775, and an Akia GX635D.  I know my equipment is much better than my ear, but I came up during analog, and remain there, except for music that I can only get on digital.  Earle 

The rotary controls for tweeters (and mids) often get some corrosion in them, causing them to only work in some positions, or to fail entirely. You can try turning the dial back and forth several times and see if it starts working. Otherwise the control will have to be taken apart and cleaned. This is a bit of a hassle as it can only be accessed by removing the woofer. I haven't had any problems with the switches for tweeter/mid levels, but I suppose they could also corrode. It's less likely, but it' also possible that both tweeters are damaged. I don't know how to test one, but I'm sure others here do. 

--Geoff 

On 2/23/2019 at 10:00 PM, EarleH said:

Hi,  As you might guess, I'm 89 and my years of soldering are gone.  My problem is, I have a pair of AR 4Xa.  On the back of one is a rotary knob indicating  increase and decrease.  The one has a switch indicating increase and decrease neither appear to be replacements since the printing goes with increase and decrease.  I would not be concerned, but neither seem to effect the sound.  I do wear hear aids witch may effect my hearing of highs, although when listening to music I take the hearing aids off and turn the volume up.  I drive the speakers with a Pioneer SX 3600, CD changer Yamaha CDC 775, and an Akia GX635D.  I know my equipment is much better than my ear, but I came up during analog, and remain there, except for music that I can only get on digital.  Earle 

Hi Earle,

I enjoyed reading your post!

God bless at 89 you still have the bug.

If I were you I would see if one of the members here that likes to rebuild those pots would like to take the 4’s off your hands, so you could replace those systems with a pair that have NO such control of  the mix.

I am 25 years your junior, and Washed my hands of those things years before that.

I had 2ax, my Dad had 2a’s and my brother 4ax, and the pots were a never ending problem on all three pair.

I really enjoyed the sound of my 2ax when they were dialed in just right, but when the pots would screw up It was always problematic getting the mix back to the same place.

These days I enjoy things simpler with fixed position drivers and controlling the mix by other means.

Bill

Where are you in the world, perhaps one of our members nearby can help you?

I'd be happy to help you out if you're in the CT area.

Archived