Amp for A-6 speakers and AR TT . Suggestions

MICHELLE

Michelle

I believe you said the turntable comes with a Linn K9 cartridge. FYI (since you're new to this) a cartridge consists of 2 parts: the body and the stylus. The stylus is the needle.

The body is probably fine. The only way to know about the stylus is to have it examined under a microscope. You can get a new Linn stylus or, for less money get an Audio Technica AT95E stylus. The Linn is really just a re-badged AT.

If you need a new cartridge there are MANY choices. You want a STANDARD mount, not a P mount. Some cost as much as a case of beer, some as much as a small car! Over here a perfectly good cartridge can be had for roughly $100 USD. Brands such as Ortofon, Audio Technica, Grado and Shure are good bets.

Here's an article to peruse: https://thevinylfactory.com/features/best-budget-cartridges-turntable/

Here's another https://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/best-budget-phono-cartridges/

and another http://allforturntables.com/2017/07/21/best-budget-phono-cartridge-for-turntable-below-100/

Not to overwhelm you. You'll notice not all lists are the same but some cartridges are mentioned on EVERY list. I'd steer toward those.

Back in the day, virtually everyone used Shure cartridges with AR turntables. The top of the Shure Line was the V-15 Type V (or IV, or III depending on the year). That cartridge is no longer made. The closest is the Shure M97xE but it's a little pricey. For half the cost (in the US) an Ortofon 2M Red would be very nice. Or a Grado Black. Or an AT...................

-Kent

Kent ,

Thank you once again,  it appears you know more than me about my  turntable.  Thank goodness for that because I really could not remember the type of current cartridge in there.  I think you correctly identified it from a pic. I had to laugh when you said the only way to correctly find out if the stylus is any good is to look at it under a microscope. I laugh because, just yesterday I was in a  charity shop, I spied a microscope, I kind of liked it,  I  even picked it up , but  finally I  decided I really have no use for a microscope. Maybe I should of bought it for close stylus inspection ?

Thanks for all the info, I am certain it will need a new cartridge. Of course it will. I can get looking at the links you have kindly sent and get ahead of the game and get one ordered pronto. I love this learning curve.

Thanks  

Best regards

Michelle

Just looked at Amazon UK.

The Shure M97XE is 120 UKP

The Grado Black is 110 and the Green is 90

The Ortofon 2M Red is 83

The Audio Technica AT95E is 36. Stylus alone (to fit the Linn K9) is 24

Hi Kent,

Great researching of the prices on e bay which is exactly where I would have looked.

So, my next question is do I need to get a whole cartridge (which includes stylus plus cartridge, right ?), or do I need to just get a stylus, this is getting very confusing for my poor muddled brain ?

If I do not ask here where is there to go ?

Regards

Michelle

10 minutes ago, MICHELLE said:

do I need to get a whole cartridge (which includes stylus plus cartridge, right ?), or do I need to just get a stylus,

IF you want to keep your Linn K9 the AT95E stylus will fit and is an acceptable replacement. But the whole AT cart is just 12 UKP more, so that would probably make more sense. 

That Ortofon is supposed to be a really nice cart, but is it twice as good as the AT? I couldn't say.

Kent

Archived