AR12 Midrange

Theo Wood

I recently picked up a pair of AR12 Speakers and and every once in a while one of the midrange's gets a buzz/crackle. I tapped on the cabinet and it goes away. The midrange does need a new surround.  I haven't taken anything apart yet.  Other wise the speakers sound absolutely incredible. Just wondering if anyone has encountered such an issue. I would like to know what's going on before I go thru the effort of putting a new surround on it. Thank you. 

• 3 weeks later...

Test the one that has the buzz/crackle first, outside of the cabinet. It's mounted to it's own cup enclosure that comes out with the mid attached to it.

I suggest just pulling both mids and refoam them regardless unless there's an issue with the one. It could be old ferro fluid that needs replacing. I was lucky that mine were very soft and the cones moved freely when I refoamed them.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

The problem arose again. I'm a little embarrassed to say that it was actually the woofer having the problem. An intermittent scratchy sound only noticeable at low to mid volume. I took the woofer out and found one of the terminal connectors on the woofer very loose. I just pulled the connector back a little so it was tight and it's been good since. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived