AR58s Question/Help

RHarris

Bought these AR58s a LONG time ago. Always loved them. Was just looking at what to do with them and ran across this site. 

Can anyone tell me if the deterioration of the woofer cone as seen in the pic effects the sound? Need to be replaced and if so, are replacements available and where?

Haven't used them in years.   

IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5056.jpg

Hi, and welcome,

The woofers can be repaired.  They just need new foam.  So, don't discard them.  They can be saved.  You can order foam and DIY, or I'm sure members here could help, depending on your location?  You could also send the woofers to a repair shop.  Bill LeGall, at Millersound, is one of the best.

Good luck.

Welcome RHarris!

16 hours ago, RHarris said:

Can anyone tell me if the deterioration of the woofer cone as seen in the pic effects the sound? Need to be replaced and if so, are replacements available and where?

Yes-- the deteriorated surrounds will affect the sound and may damage the woofers. As Stimpy said DO NOT replace the woofers! Those are great speakers and will only remain so with the originals.

14 hours ago, RHarris said:

I am in North Texas so maybe I'll look around. 

Not recommended. You have 2 good options:

1. If you want to try DIY, it's easier than it looks and there is help here. Many members recommend ebay seller Rick Cobb (Looneytune2001) for the best kits. Contact him and ask for a kit for your specific speakers (AR-58s): https://www.ebay.com/str/looneytune2001/Vintage-Electronics/_i.html?_sacat=183077  I don't see one listed now but he can make one up. Be sure to get the white glue (it is MUCH easier to work with and more forgiving). Also--there is some difference of opinion on this but I recommend getting a dust cap and shims. Some people use a "test tone" to center the speaker but the shims work better and also make it easier to position the cone up or down while gluing.
  2. If all this seems like too much time/work/hassle, contact THE NUMBER ONE speaker repair guy, Bill LeGall http://www.millersound.net  He will make them better than new.

If for some reason Bill is not available, contact CSP member RoyC. He is an AR expert an does all of the speaker work for ebay seller "Vintage AR".

Ask any and all questions here. There are always guys ready to help.

-Kent

13 minutes ago, RHarris said:

Just emailed Bill.

I've been told he responds better to phone calls. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks much guys! Bill responded immediately to my email. I'm going to get the woofers out and shipped asap. Bill's bio reminds me of my father who back in the 60's had his speakers custom made by a shop in Chicago and enjoyed his equipment and tape decks as much as anyone. I vividly remember him taping music off the tv and air, including the first time the Beatles performed on Ed Sullivan. Kinda why I guess I still have these old AR's, Pioneer tuner, and a turntable stored somewhere up in the attic. Can't tell you how much I enjoy reading these posts here.   

3 hours ago, RHarris said:

Thanks much guys! Bill responded immediately to my email. I'm going to get the woofers out and shipped asap. Bill's bio reminds me of my father who back in the 60's had his speakers custom made by a shop in Chicago and enjoyed his equipment and tape decks as much as anyone. I vividly remember him taping music off the tv and air, including the first time the Beatles performed on Ed Sullivan. Kinda why I guess I still have these old AR's, Pioneer tuner, and a turntable stored somewhere up in the attic. Can't tell you how much I enjoy reading these posts here.   

That's a great decision.  Bill will do an awesome job, and he's cheap too.  I think Bill really loves what he does.

Oh yea, when you pull the woofers, check out the capacitors.  I'm curious if yours use the Unicon brand of capacitors like my 58S speakers had?  I recapped my 58's, but, I have to admit, the Unicon caps still sounded very good.  I only recapped due to the age of the speakers.  Just a preventative measure.

Archived