H.H. Scott S-176.

I recently picked a mint pair of these (unknown to me) speakers from a local thrift store. Since I have been collecting vintage speakers for quite a while, my ears have heard a lot of good (and bad, LOL!) sounding speakers. When I lifted them up for the first time, I was surprised by their weight, and I figured it was worth the risk of taking them home with me. Did some research on the net when I got home, but not much info on them. So I decided to hook them up to my Audio Analogue Puccini SE and leave the room to come back after an hour when everything should have "warmed-up". Well, to say I was surprised when I returned for the first listen is an understatement. I really am amazed by how good this pair sounded, to my ears. They seem to everything just right, again to my ears. The bass is perfect for me, voices look like they are in the room with me. No sharp edges, no nothing. Imaging is also great. Now my question is, am I losing it? Surely this can be right? Such an unknown speaker that is doing everything just right? I am interested in your thoughts.

25 minutes ago, grendel said:

Now my question is, am I losing it? Surely this can be right? Such an unknown speaker that is doing everything just right? I am interested in your thoughts.

Have you tried connecting your A25s and placing them next to or on top of the Scott's to compare?  You need a reference IMO.  Ears are fickle and duplicitous.

Adams

22 hours ago, grendel said:

Now my question is, am I losing it? Surely this can be right?

Assuming they are operating correctly, the woofer in both speakers is carrying all but the last half octave of music.  The tweeters are playing 8 notes plus important atmospherics, basically, and it may be that the 8" woofer of the Scott is better than the 10 "Dynaco over those 7.5 octaves.   I would think the 8" would be a little less beamy also.  And the last six inches of sound travel between your ears is most important and only known by you.

Adams

1 hour ago, Aadams said:

Assuming they are operating correctly, the woofer in both speakers is carrying all but the last half octave of music.  The tweeters are playing 8 notes plus important atmospherics, basically, and it may be that the 8" woofer of the Scott is better than the 10 "Dynaco over those 7.5 octaves.   I would think the 8" would be a little less beamy also.  And the last six inches of sound travel between your ears is most important and only known by you.

Adams

Now things are starting to make more sense to me. Thanx for the technical comparison. I am glad I turned to this forum for help.

• 3 years later...