AR1U question

DKinYORKpa

I haven't posted here since I joined after I came into possession of a pair of AR1Us. I replaced the caps (old one are still there), re-sealed the woofer surrounds and replaced the grill cloth (they were ripped, stapled and useless). They sound great but I only listen to them occasionally. I've thought about selling them but really hate the idea of the 755s being ripped out for resale. I could do that myself. Since they are painted white (they were unfinished, of course), their most redeeming quality is those damn 755s! How do you find someone that would want them for their historical importance but still pay the price for the 755s? Make them sign a not-to-remove-the-755s-agreement......LOL....?

The short, and obvious,  answer, of course, is that you can't. Once you sell them, that's it. 

That being said, there are certainly those folks out there(like myself, for instance) that buy stuff like your speakers with the intention of adding them to a collection, and using them often, and are not flippers. I suppose the best way of finding those people are to relay your wishes to the new owner and see if you can suss them out. Those that are sincere are usually pretty easy to find. 

I would love to own your speakers, but I'm quite certain, going by what they typically go for in the open market, that they would not be in my budget range. But obviously the demand is there. So if you really want to sell them, I would just start the process here and on other audio forums and see what happens. 

Simply stated, the Altec 755 is what drives the price of the AR-1 above what it would otherwise be expected to sell for as a pair of very old vintage loudspeakers; if the amount you'd want to receive in a sale is not significantly lower than that figure, then it too, is affected by the current desirability of the 755, and you should just recognize it as such.

If it's not about money at all, then maybe some sort of essay contest could be held, with the speakers going to the person with the most engaging & heartfelt composition outlining their future plans for the AR-1. ^_^

Which is actually worth more the Altec or the Western Electric version?  I'm curious.

A post came up on these on CSP a number of years ago or so. I mentioned in that post that the Staten Island Ferry Terminal was being rebuilt and that the 16 overhead old PA speakers installed circa 1955 probably contained these and that I regretted not going dumpster-diving to retrieve them after they were taken down.

https://www.stereophile.com/artdudleylistening/108listen/index.html

Maybe 20 years ago, I attended an audio show/sale in New Jersey put on by the old Audiomart hi-fi classifieds publication - I think they were based in Virginia.

On working display at this show was a Western Electric 755A, mounted in a very large plywood baffle, and driven by what was most likely an SET amplifier of very early vintage. I'd never seen or heard anything like it before, and in a word, it was awful. Awful in the sense that your ears would cringe, and your face take on the aspect of having bitten into a lemon. Awful.

Imagine my surprise at how well the 755 came to do in the Asian market.

Western Electric was an excellent company and goes way back. Innovative, high-quality designs and products was no doubt their operating policy. Of course, I've seen amplifiers, etc made by them but, never heard any. In terms of sound quality, that may be another and subjective topic so many years later. Collector value is high with any of their products, I bet.

Most of the very reliable dial-type telephones we all used in this country years ago were made by them for one, additionally they were into the ' high-quality' thing seemingly with every product they made. I could imagine that they had lucrative government contracts also.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC3.A0.H0.XWestern+Electric+.TRS1&_nkw=Western+Electric+&_sacat=293&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10&_osacat=293&_odkw=Western+Electric+speakers&LH_TitleDesc=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Electric

""Western Electric Company was an American electrical engineering and manufacturing company that served as the primary supplier to AT&T from 1881 to 1996. The company was responsible for many technological innovations and seminal developments in industrial management.Wikipedia""

Archived