Oppening LST Speakers

Carlos Gracia

Hi,

I have to open my AR LST speakers to change the subwoofer damaged parts. I opened many years ago and I cannot remember how to remove the Spectral Balance buttons. I tried to remove a screw with an allen tool but it looks like I cannot find the right size or maybe those screws should remain closed, but then I cannot open the front central cover. Any help to this silly question, please?

Thank you very much in advance!

Carlos

1 hour ago, Carlos Gracia said:

Hi,

I have to open my AR LST speakers to change the subwoofer damaged parts. I opened many years ago and I cannot remember how to remove the Spectral Balance buttons. I tried to remove a screw with an allen tool but it looks like I cannot find the right size or maybe those screws should remain closed, but then I cannot open the front central cover. Any help to this silly question, please?

Thank you very much in advance!

Carlos

Remember there is two allen screws  in each control. I ran into this problem when I first got them and removed what I thought was just one screw...and still wouldn't budge. Removed the other screw and they came right off.

If you need a key between 1.5 (0.059") and 2.0 (0.079"), it is most likely a 1/16" key (0.0625"). Very common size in all U.S. hardware sets - - - probably a bit more difficult to locate in Europe and other areas where metric dimensions prevail. 

hex key sizes.jpg

There's three types of allen wrenches or keys:  

1) American 'SAE'

2) European, 'Metric'

3) British, 'Imperial'

I almost went crazy years ago when I first purchased all of my S.M.E. tonearms, while making adjustments with SAE size allen-keys nothing fit. Fearful of stripping a $750. tonearm, I immediately scoured the net/bay.

I did some research and found the 'Metric'/ 'Euro' sizes and they didn't fit correctly either. Fearing I'd ruin these delicate tonearms I researched further and found the British 'Imperial' gauge and suddenly I was making correct adjustments with-out stripping being a fear. Note that the 'Imperial' wrenches do take some searching to acquire and have been produced to a lesser extent.

Fortunately, the AR-LST uses the 'American' SAE gauge. And yes, I went through the same problems at first until I turned the knob, only to see a second 'hex' screw almost invisible at first unless, one turns the knob fully and views all sides of the control's shaft and knob.

P.S.  For all of you vinyl users. When mounting a cartridge in a head-shell, always use 'hex' nut type of fasteners instead of 'slotted' screws even if your cartridge has the more common single screw-in/no nut provisions.

It will make cartridge mounting much easier and, will look better also. "Allen-wrenches' aka 'Hex' wrenches have always been used on higher quality precision machinery for years.

FM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I received a new "full size" allen tools box and one of them worked, perfectly. I'm sorry for such a silly issue. I

'd ask you for some more challenging questions soon, as I decided that I will repair the subwoofers by myself for the first time. I think that real experts are almost over so I decided to learn how to fix my LST speakers. And I'm a completely new guy here...

Thank you!

Carlos

Archived