New AR drivers.

valkyrie

Went to this site;

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/acoustic-research-replacement-tweeter-12000840.html

And these folks have IN STOCK replacement 3/4" tweeters - domes - for the AR-9 family ($79 per unit - very competitive with the old units offered on the 'bay).  Also they carry IN STOCK the 8" mid-bass coupler for the AR-9, as well as the 1/5" dome midrange driver.  Given that the drivers in my AR-9 must be getting "tired" I have to wonder if these drivers are actually OEM style replacements.  Or are they merely Chinese "knock offs" - similar shape, correct mounting plate but bearing no particular sonic equivalence to the original domes?

Does anybody have any experience with these drivers?   Anybody measured their F/R?   Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks.

I bought a pair of those tweeters.  The face-plate is plastic while the OEM is metal.  So you have to be careful not to over tighten the mounting screws when installing.

Also, the face plate is missing the silver painted ring.  They are just solid black.  I'd like to swap over the old face plate to the new ones, but haven't risk breaking the new one's copper wires which appear to be spider web thin.

They do fit and sound good but would like to see a test report of the response.

These require a coil and capacitor to approach the AR sound, because as they are, they'll produce too much of the upper-mid frequencies.

Look back on this site as this discussion basically began around 2004-5 here when they were first offered.

At that time I purchased 22 of them to use in my LST's and two sets of 3a's. I immediately noticed that they covered too much of the upper-mid frequency spectrum and sounded over-bearing and certainly incorrect.  Cross-over modifications will be necessary to correct this. I feel you'd be better off by buying the latest replacement from China that seems to be a whole lot better from reports.

The older posts on this site are fully capable of answering any and all questions about anything regarding AR speakers.

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR-Acoustic-Research-Replacement-Tweeter-for-AR9-AR11-AR58s-Speaker-MT-4121-4-/152720220413

I would strongly recommend that you search this site to learn more about these as I haven't tried them myself.  Everything necessary to repair, and rebuild is already contained through-out this site, simply do a search.

Frank,

While restoring my 10Pi speakers the original tweeter (200011-1) went OL on the voice coil (it was not putting out much high frequency sound to begin with) and the AR replacement tweeter (1200084-0) still worked.

I bought two of those replacements from Midwest. I couldn't tell the difference between the 1200084-0 AR tweeter and this replacement. No need to add anything.

I decided to use both replacements. They sound wonderful.

The people at Midwest are great to work with, too.

David, I wish I didn't rush and buy those AB-Tech tweeters, which are the same as the OP mentioned.

When the HiVi tweeter was announced on this site, I stupidly ran out and bought 21 of those.

You must understand that I go back to AR3a's and blowing tweeters so often, AR decided to actually call my speakers in twice for a check-up. After that, they just sent spares in cute little square boxes. It was all done thru the mail with hand written letters.

That was in 1972 thru 1975 or so when I simply gave up on those weak tweeters and bought the Micro-Static auxiliary add on tweeters which I still use today as they are seemingly impervious to burn-out with a high-power amplifiers ability that can easily burn-out other tweeters, though of course any speaker can be blown with the power I have on tap.

As I mentioned a few months ago, I've had it with easily blown tweeters and invested a nice chunk of change to buy 19 used AR-9 tweeters in hopes that they'll hold up long term. Lately, I've had second thoughts that perhaps they won't so, I continue with the little tweeters from Micro-Static that do hold-up.  I've grown so use to them that I'm obviously hesitant to make the change although I have all the spares anyone could ask for. Using a parametric-equalizer also allows me to be more lazy as one can shape the response rather well.

I'll go out on a limb and also say that my best two choices in bringing the sound-quality of old AR speakers up to or at least approaching a more accepted current and modern sound quality have been the parametric E.Q. and high quality moving coil cartridges.

You see I was there at the tail end sort of speak of the 'Classic-Era' of hi-fi back in the later '60's and early '70s and I refuse to listen to the half-baked, inefficient and reticent sound quality AR tweeters are known for, that's so 50+ years ago. It's easy to see why so many new-comers to this hobby like that sound as that may be a new thing for them but, I've been dealing with it all these years and so it's not new to me. If AR had developed a tweeter that could sustain high power, I'd be satisfied but, that's not the case.

Although I enjoy the ability of the AR tweeters in terms of the width of their dispersion field, many folks know they can't handle the power to attain realistic sounding levels. I'm just the opposite regarding the AR-3a type midrange and bass drivers which are my favorites and are very capable drivers. So, before I blow over $1,600. worth of AR-9 used tweeters out, I'll take my time and enjoy the 'little tweeter array that could' as I have been since 1974 when I was forced o purchase them. Come spring time, I may change over the tweeters but, rite-now, I'm in a safe and comfortable-zone with-out fear of turning up the volume.

Frank Marsi - I suggest that you are confusing the Hi-Vi tweeter with this particular model.  The Hi-Vi does need some trim parts in its network to render it usable with the AR speaker systems.   Thus far I have no information - but THANKS DavidR for your review of same.    Thanks Mez for your insight about the face plate being plastic. 

I think the magnet and voice coil are identical to the originals.  

Frank - I differ with you in regards the sonic limitations and ability of the original AR tweeters - AR-3 era devices.  Those were fine drivers - very wide dispersion and well extended past the human audio spectrum.   They were prone to burning up when they were fed either too much power OR were fed defective power from the limited amps of the era.   In normal use those drivers work well.   The later model ADD tweeters were superb units - ferro-fluid cooled, extended and again very dispersive.  

EQ devices can only affect the on-axis sound - the dispersive field - the "sound power" is NOT affected by any EQ.  Thus EQ doesn't really work at all.  See Floyd Toole for more information on this topic. 

As for MC carts?  Really?  You seem to like a rising high end.   I don't care for MC - they are all AT LEAST 10 dB NOISIER than an equivalent MM cart, all track very poorly, they have problems with very low compliance and they require an extra 20 dB of amplification - amplifiers boost noise as well as signal.   MC to myself is more about being "fashionable" than it is anything else.

No, I distinctly mentioned each of the three possible candidates of possible tweeter choices. And correct, the HiVi will need an additional ring to allow it to fit in the bigger AR opening whereas the midwest and AB-tech size are a perfect fit. I didn't need any answers, I already have all versions except the midwest tweeters here.

And yes, I did mention the AR tweeters having a wide dispersion in which they excel at beyond some others, they just don't have the power handling capabilities.

How many quality MC carts have you used and owned because the comments you made are incorrect. The Lyra, Ortofon and ART-9 cartridges I use are some of the quietest cartridges on the market today, especially the Lyra Delos. They're also some of the best trackers. A SUT is needed in using them of course.

I have no need to be fashionable in any sense of the word because I believe in moving coils and they were chosen because of their vastly superior sonics and their higher level of realism in addition to a higher level of transparency and better transient response across the entire audio spectrum. Last-nite in fact, I would've listen to my Lyra Kleos past the four hours I did if I didn't have to go out and hunt a turkey down. 

Sure, some MM's are very good but fail to rival any modern better quality MC in the $1,899.to $4,000. range which is considered a moderate price range as they can sell for much more.  If that's what it takes to have my AR speakers sound as good as they possible can and delivery music with maximum realism, with intoxicating transparency and reeling transients, I'm already all for it and pretty much well invested in my moving coil stable of choices that render it.

You asked questions, I attempted to offer some answers. Maybe,  you already have all of the answers?

I didn't have all  the answers until after 41 years of using AR speakers from 1971-2 on, at which time in 2013, I finally gave into the maximum enjoyment of using moving coil cartridges. I couldn't even ponder hearing a level of quality as I did so many years ago because experience has taught me that I wanted better. Some folks here proclaim their affections for a vintage AR sound quality that's no doubt pleasing and maybe new to them. I had that same level of quality decades ago as a young man in 1971-2 as I am certainly not new to the AR sound quality. It was time to move-on and improve upon that level of quality in my play-back system for the 2000's. Adding a parametric equalizer and paying careful attention to speaker room placement,  using quality interconnects, precise turn table set-up, and maintaining clean vinyl sources coupled with better quality moving coils has allowed me to come even closer to that goal.  So, as I said, AR's sound capability is not a new discovery for me as I've enjoyed it for a few decades already. I wanted to bring that quality to its furthest reaches. If you heard my system, you'd agree, I've attained my goals with flying colors.

The Hi-Vi fits perfectly - which is why so many people use it.   I was asking about the Midwest drivers NOT the ABTech (which I think no longer exist) or the Hi-Vi.  From what I have read the Hi-Vi is a good mechanical fit but not so much of a sonic match - requiring extra parts in the network to tame it for use in the AR speaker systems.  Even then some have complained of it being a bit "bright" - running hotter than the OEM tweeters.

The HiVi doesn't fit unless a small adapter ring is used or by hoping the screws used along with some putty seal the hole properly.  At $18., it's also  the cheapest.

Only the AB-tech which is the same as simply's version.  Those two and the midwest as the latest choice are all drop-in replacement size.

You are correct Gene as I haven't yet attempted to mount them. But when I see how little is actually holding it in place I didn't bother and went about my merry way regretting I bought so many in the first place.  Then there's the knowledge that these are $18 dollar tweeters, and that fact makes me wonder if these tweeters can measure up to the AR quality. It's almost like blowing out a quality $300. tire on my car and replacing it with a lesser $100. tire. They're both tires but, the costlier one is definitely better, safer and maintains the ride/handling quality and behavior as the car was designed to have. When I first joined this site in 2004 my questions were about tweeters that would mate well with my LST's.  Almost 15 years later choices really haven't been all that plentiful except for used ones. Can anyone report on the 'midwest' versions?

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Frank thank you for the link. Also are you finally done buying Microstatic tweeter arrays at the auction site? It seemed every time a set came up and I tried to win that auction you seemed to swoop in and snatch it away(good job)lol. I will if I have to when I can get to them rebuild and test my 1 pair of 2ax's and two pair of AR3a's get some of the new tweeters(or have Chris rebuild them)and midranges.

Archived