Are these AR speakers?

DonT

I cannot open the original thread I started for some reason. Anyway I bought the speakers that I first posted about and no they are not AR. Just wanted to let people here to know what they are. XAM 2E 3 way speakers. I got them for $3.66 for the pair. They are 14" deep 15" wide and 29" tall and the veneer is real nice. I know these are not great speakers but I am thinking with some AR or KLH drivers and sealing the cabinets they could sound real nice?

Not sure I fully understand the multiple port slots on the backside, but those are beautiful cabinets with very nice proportions. And by the serious looks of these robust drivers, I think you should work with what you've got.

Maybe this thread can be moved to the "other" forum?

XAM 2E.jpg

48 minutes ago, DonT said:

they are XAM 2E 3 way speakers.

Ha! Told ya so ?

I agree with ra.ra. See how they sound and you may be happy with them.

-Kent

I would agree that a cap replacement is simple, inexpensive, and might make a significant improvement. Not sure if the two controls are accessible for inspection, but this might be a worthwhile exercise as well.

The cabinets look really great, but as you've already mentioned in your initial post, there's a real temptation to possibly re-construct these as acoustic suspension speakers. This, of course, would require sealing all drivers to baffle board; sealing b-board to cabinet box; closing off rear port openings; and sealing rear panel to box. A bit of work, to be sure, but that's where a lot of the mad-scientist fun might be found. I've seen plenty of three-ways that use cone mid drivers that require a separate chamber, but have never seen this chamber with its own vented port. :blink: This chamber needs to be sealed from the main chamber, including where the wires penetrate. BTW, it appears that the stuffing is all probably fine - - the cellulose and fiberglass both appear to have maintained their original loft and are both effective fill materials.

6 hours ago, DonT said:

I still might spend the cash on some better drivers.

Without having tested these speakers to establish a base line for evaluation, exactly how would you define "better"? Far be it for me to dampen enthusiasm for experimentation, but when I see vintage drivers in good shape with massive alnico magnets, I let out a sharp wolf whistle and say "Ooh-la-la". I'd love to see the front side of those drivers, but that would require some extensive disassembly, and it's hard to see how to remove that tweeter for further inspection - - it might require removal of grille cloth.

For less that $4 invested, you've already got a nice little bargain project, and my suggestion is to try to achieve a big bang for small bucks, which often leads to smug satisfaction. BTW, how do the speakers sound "as-is"?

1 hour ago, ra.ra said:

I would agree that a cap replacement is simple, inexpensive, and might make a significant improvement. Not sure if the two controls are accessible for inspection, but this might be a worthwhile exercise as well.

The cabinets look really great, but as you've already mentioned in your initial post, there's a real temptation to possibly re-construct these as acoustic suspension speakers. This, of course, would require sealing all drivers to baffle board; sealing b-board to cabinet box; closing off rear port openings; and sealing rear panel to box. A bit of work, to be sure, but that's where a lot of the mad-scientist fun might be found. I've seen plenty of three-ways that use cone mid drivers that require a separate chamber, but have never seen this chamber with its own vented port. :blink: This chamber needs to be sealed from the main chamber, including where the wires penetrate. BTW, it appears that the stuffing is all probably fine - - the cellulose and fiberglass both appear to have maintained their original loft and are both effective fill materials.

Without having tested these speakers to establish a base line for evaluation, exactly how would you define "better"? Far be it for me to dampen enthusiasm for experimentation, but when I see vintage drivers in good shape with massive alnico magnets, I let out a sharp wolf whistle and say "Ooh-la-la". I'd love to see the front side of those drivers, but that would require some extensive disassembly, and it's hard to see how to remove that tweeter for further inspection - - it might require removal of grille cloth.

For less that $4 invested, you've already got a nice little bargain project, and my suggestion is to try to achieve a big bang for small bucks, which often leads to smug satisfaction. BTW, how do the speakers sound "as-is"?

They work fine right now and I can say the sound "Okay" So the only thing I can think of to make them sound better is a recap. Also I am comparing them to my KLH model Fives so that is not really fare ether lol. But you are correct about the large Alnico magnets, I got excited as well. Also you are correct about the removal of the mid and tweeter. After looking real hard the front grill cloth would need to be removed. I know this much I am not going to trash these, I like them to much ?

Definitely re-cap, then judge.

OTOH, you bought some beautiful cabinets for <2 bucks each. You could have some fun with these.

A few years ago I bought some decent-looking Japanese speakers at the Sal. They did not sound very good so I tore everything out, reinforced the cabinets and built some DIY speakers designed by Johnny Richards. Here's the thread with some photos: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/44147-rompicollo-8-2-way/page2?225010-Rompicollo-8-quot-2-way/page2=

The drivers were Parts Express "buyouts." I don't remember what they cost but they were cheap. I can't design speakers and crossovers so I depended on Johnny's design. He was well known on PE Tech Talk for designing nice speakers around buyout drivers.

I used a linen grille and some custom "JKH" badges that look like "KLH". 

Rompicollo resized.jpg

2 minutes ago, JKent said:

I used a linen grille and some custom "JKH" badges

Great little project - - with grille on, they look like a hybrid of KLH and early Advent.

12 hours ago, DonT said:

Definitely not a acoustic  suspension speaker. It has a very short in and out movement.

Well, it sounds like you're getting somewhere - - I wouldn't know how to assess a particular woofer for its applicability regarding cone excursion, nor would I know how to calculate optimal cabinet volume. For that build-up of white residue on driver backsides, you may want to first clean 'em up with a vacuum, and then wipe down with a rag moistened with household white vinegar.

Looking forward to following your project.

9 hours ago, JKent said:

Definitely re-cap, then judge.

OTOH, you bought some beautiful cabinets for <2 bucks each. You could have some fun with these.

A few years ago I bought some decent-looking Japanese speakers at the Sal. They did not sound very good so I tore everything out, reinforced the cabinets and built some DIY speakers designed by Johnny Richards. Here's the thread with some photos: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/speaker-project-gallery/44147-rompicollo-8-2-way/page2?225010-Rompicollo-8-quot-2-way/page2=

The drivers were Parts Express "buyouts." I don't remember what they cost but they were cheap. I can't design speakers and crossovers so I depended on Johnny's design. He was well known on PE Tech Talk for designing nice speakers around buyout drivers.

I used a linen grille and some custom "JKH" badges that look like "KLH". 

Rompicollo resized.jpg

Very nice!

• 7 months later...

XAM was the audio "house brand" of the EJ Korvette department store chain. Korvette was a NY-based company that operated in the Northeastern states, and was an early challenger of "fair trade" anti-discounting laws. The speakers were really nothing to write home about, but some of the electronics were made by Harman Kardon and Roland.