KLH17 Capacitors

EasyWriter

I'm progressing on refurbishing my KLH-17s.

I purchased new, good-quality capacitors that are carefully matched to specs. I easily identified the 8uf capacitor going to the woofer. 

Otherwise, I'm a little uncertain what I'm supposed to be replacing. Based on everything I've read, I think I'm going to treat my two 2.5uf caps as a pair to replace the black-and-red cylinder on the left in my photo. I'll tie two leads together and attach to the common at the bottom of the photo. And then I'll solder one cap to each of two poles on the switch. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance and thanks to everyone who answered my previous post.

Special thanks to @RoyC for selling me woofer surround sealant and for some off-channel advice.

fullsizeoutput_105b.thumb.jpeg.ddb8b9a7675268167f9c1fd5983a7cdb.jpeg

Hi EasyWriter

Let me be the 2nd to say "welcome".

Here's the woofer schematic. Yes--two capacitors replace the one "double" black & red Callins type cap and you do wire them as described but be sure you have 2uF caps (not 2.5uF). And don't forget the 8uF.

Also attaching a photo of the 17 crossovers out of the box for clarity.

-Kent

17_SCHEMATIC copy.jpg

KLH 17xo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi EasyWriter. is that a typo or did you mean to say you see a 8 uF cap going to the woofer? The 8 uf cap goes to the tweeter, they all go to the tweeter, just with either a 3 ohm resistor, a 3 ohm and a 7.5 ohm, or no resistors. The two 2 uf caps just modify the highest range, The 8 uf cap is the main cap keeping lows out of the tweeter. look at the schematic again.

20 hours ago, Neal K said:

Hi EasyWriter. is that a typo or did you mean to say you see a 8 uF cap going to the woofer? The 8 uf cap goes to the tweeter, they all go to the tweeter, just with either a 3 ohm resistor, a 3 ohm and a 7.5 ohm, or no resistors. The two 2 uf caps just modify the highest range, The 8 uf cap is the main cap keeping lows out of the tweeter. look at the schematic again.

Well, it wasn't exactly a typo. It betrays my naivete, more than anything. And I haven't exactly figured out all of the wiring. I'd just spotted the big, solo capacitor and presumed it was woofer while the others were tweeter. In any case, I know how to replace it. 

Thanks to everyone for being so nice and helpful. Once I get time to return to this project, it's success will owe mostly to you.

• 2 months later...

Archived