KLH Model 6 paired with 15-17 watt tube amp?

Flounder

Welcome Flounder

Define "fully drive" ;)

If the tube amp has been checked out and is working properly, if you listen to acoustic music in a moderate size room, if you are not trying to blast Black Sabbath at concert hall levels, sure--give it a try. I used a dynaco ST-35 (17wpc) amp with AR-4x's for years.

-Kent

I fully agree with Kent here, along with his disclaimers and limits. For most of 45 years, I have often paired a modest 26-watt Scott integrated tube amp with several 8-ohm two-way vintage bookshelf speakers, and have never been disappointed. Further, I have never blown a driver or fritzed an amp. My tube amp is the 222-D, which is part of the EL84 family.

12 hours ago, ra.ra said:

My tube amp is the 222-D, which is part of the EL84 family.

As an aside, I really have to light a fire under myself. Four years ago a friend gave me a Scott 299-A (20wpc) that had sat collecting dust for over 30 years. I replaced the caps then took it to my friend Tim at Bristol Electronics for a final check-out and adjustment. My plan was to hook it up in the living room with a switch that will temporarily remove the Cizek KA-1 (4 ohm) speakers from the HT and let me play vinyl through this system. Everything is in place but the wiring. Time to get off my butt!

4 hours ago, JKent said:

....a Scott 299-A (20wpc) ...... that will temporarily remove the Cizek KA-1 (4 ohm) speakers.....

Not sure about the 299 amps, but the 222-D has multiple terminals to adjust for a variety of speaker impedance ratings. 

On 10/29/2018 at 3:59 PM, Flounder said:

I just recently picked up a Pilot 232 EL84 tube amp.

That Pilot looks like a cool little amp, and it appears that it also has multiple taps, but only for 8 and 16 ohm ratings. (Pic courtesy of Redboy) For the KLH Six speakers, you'll want to confirm the condition of the crossover capacitors and also ensure that the woofers maintain a good seal to the cabinet enclosure.  

222-D speaker terminals.jpg

Pilot 232 amp.jpg

12 minutes ago, ra.ra said:

Not sure about the 299 amps, but the 222-D has multiple terminals to adjust for a variety of speaker impedance ratings. 

Yup. Same era amp, same features.

back.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2018 at 5:50 PM, JKent said:

if you listen to acoustic music in a moderate size room, if you are not trying to blast Black Sabbath at concert hall levels

Hi, All.

Thanks for the replies and welcomes.  I won't be cranking any Ozzy, and I'm in a spare bedroom.  I listen to a broad range of music from bebop to 60s psychedelia, but never at very loud volumes.  My 6s were recapped about a year ago, and they sound great through my little cap-coupled Marantz and Pioneer receivers (26wpc).  However, I noticed recently when hooking them up to a 45wpc Sony STR-6060, the 6s really opened up and sound stage really opened up too.  It seemed to deliver a much larger range top to bottom. I really love these.   I've got them hooked up to a Pilot 240 right now and they sound pretty good.    

Archived