KLH Model Twenty Four speakers I got today

DonT

• DonT changed the title to KLH Model Twenty Four speakers I got today

The Twenty-Four is much less speaker than the Model Five but they should play nicely together ;). Fives in front, Twenty-Fours in back maybe. It's sort of like pairing AR-4s with AR-3s. Same family but more gusto with the bigger speakers.

The cabinets look very good! The tweeter dust caps can be wetted down with water then sucked out with a vacuum. After they are dry I'd coat the caps with a diluted solution of Aileene's Tacky Glue & water. You could also use Elmer's glue or yellow carpenter's glue.

There were a few variations on the Twenty-Fours: The original and the /II, some with RCA jacks and some with speaker terminals. The crossovers also differed so you'll need to see what's in there.

Personally, I'd eliminate the RCA jack and install some proper terminals. The RCA jacks were on speakers that were part of an entire Model Twenty-Four system. 

I re-capped some 24/II speakers like yours and they took one 16uF and one 8uF cap. Photo below shows the xo. Also shown is the similar 20 with new terminal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Kent

24 xo.jpg

old & new.jpg

KLH 20_edited-1.jpg

4 hours ago, JKent said:

The Twenty-Four is much less speaker than the Model Five but they should play nicely together ;). Fives in front, Twenty-Fours in back maybe. It's sort of like pairing AR-4s with AR-3s. Same family but more gusto with the bigger speakers.

The cabinets look very good! The tweeter dust caps can be wetted down with water then sucked out with a vacuum. After they are dry I'd coat the caps with a diluted solution of Aileene's Tacky Glue & water. You could also use Elmer's glue or yellow carpenter's glue.

There were a few variations on the Twenty-Fours: The original and the /II, some with RCA jacks and some with speaker terminals. The crossovers also differed so you'll need to see what's in there.

Personally, I'd eliminate the RCA jack and install some proper terminals. The RCA jacks were on speakers that were part of an entire Model Twenty-Four system. 

I re-capped some 24/II speakers like yours and they took one 16uF and one 8uF cap. Photo below shows the xo. Also shown is the similar 20 with new terminal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Kent

24 xo.jpg

old & new.jpg

KLH 20_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for the info.  I was planning to use them in the back. They where very cheap so I might just keep them, Who knows?

Archived