A pair of AR-3 fell into my lap this week

Lucky Pierre

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Lucky Pierre said:
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, Lucky Pierre said:

"Thanks for the great advice.  Yes, the cabs have seen better days, but it's mostly scratches with little lost veneer.  I will have to ponder whether I want to try lift the scratches or just sand them and love the patina.  I might try the iron method on the bottom of one to check out the results.

The steel strap covered the pot switches with little pieces of foam wedged between them.  I think he just wanted the pots to stay where he liked the settings.  He is an interesting fellow--I am not going to wonder his motives beyond that.

LC, I'll PM you when I am nearing the grills.  I'll try gluing them.  If that doesn't work, I'll take Kent's advice on the MDF. 

Tom, I will definitely test the drivers before I try to take them out.  I would rather not have to remove them.

Peter

Here is the new grill material on a pair of 3's I just refinished. They were just about as bad as yours and original grill material was shot.

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4565.JPG

2 hours ago, CSUNRocks said:

Serial numbers C25803 and C25840. Later in the AR-3 years is my guess. 37 units different. Hugh.... My JBL are consecutive in order. 

Those serial numbers actually indicate earlier production specimens. Over 70, 000 were manufactured.

Your JBL's are from a later era. AR-3's were not sold as pairs, and it is very unusual to find a pair with consecutive numbers. Mono amps were common in the early 60's, and "stereo" was in its infancy. A difference of 37 is really quite close for a pair of 3's, and indicate they were most likely purchased together.

Roy

On 11/2/2018 at 11:51 PM, JKent said:

Nice! Those steel straps are puzzling.

Some have recommended 1/8" MDF instead of Masonite.

The grille material is available from a seller in Canada. I'll try to find the info if you need it.

I would advise against removing the tweets and mids until you have determined they are definitely bad. You can run a signal to each using the rivets where they are front wired. The less those fragile tinsel leads are disturbed the better.

-Kent

QComponents is the Canadian seller.

https://qcomponents.ca/

Glenn

13 hours ago, GD70 said:

Fabulous! Great examples!

My one frame on my 2nd set of 3's was bent and cracked. I had to make new frames from 1/4 MDF.

Glenn

G

Thanks Glenn. I have had my share of making grills also. Especially tough when you have to tuck the 3 grill into cab. Because I usually have it around here, I use 1/4" plywood.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished my AR-5s, except for the grills.  Now it is on to the 3s.

I hope to have the caps replaced and pots cleaned in the next two weeks.  The cabinet restoration won't start until after Christmas.  In the meantime I am looking for someone local that is set up to spray lacquer.

I'll post pics of my progress.

Peter

1 hour ago, Lucky Pierre said:

I am looking for someone local that is set up to spray lacquer.

I'm in Framingham and I have a sprayer and compressor but haven't sprayed lacquer in years. I don't have a proper set up and it can be dangerous indoors w/o ventilation. The fumes are deadly and highly flammable. Have you looked at using Deft? It can be brushed on.  Even with Deft you need a mask and good ventilation.

5 hours ago, DavidR said:

Look into someone who does either bodywork painting or furniture restoration. There's a guy in Natick (Furniture Smith) and another in Holliston (Kevin Bianchi) who do furniture resto.

If I am not mistaken, I don't think body shops can't spray lacquer in Massachusetts.  Furniture guys can, though.

I found out tonight at dinner that my brother has a spray booth in his new shop.  Looks like I'll have to learn how to spray lacquer!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 9:19 PM, Lucky Pierre said:

If I am not mistaken, I don't think body shops can't spray lacquer in Massachusetts.  Furniture guys can, though.

I found out tonight at dinner that my brother has a spray booth in his new shop.  Looks like I'll have to learn how to spray lacquer!

If you're in a must use Lacquer on these frame of mind, Lacquer is very easy to work with, but must be done out in an open garage.

I re-veneered the JVC M-7050 & P-L10 pre amp cabs you saw at Frankenfest.

I first brushed on around 20 coats of Lacquer to fill the grain, then block wet sanded them smooth. Then used rattle can spray Lacquer for the finish. Sprayed maybe 8-10 coats.

It was a lot of work but worth it.

With the 3 cabs, I would strongly suggest going with a Danish oil. It's far easier, needing at most 5 hand wiped applications before the veneer will not absorb any more. Sand with 600 grit after 24 hours for each application. You will get a finish like Lakecats.

Glenn

38 minutes ago, Lucky Pierre said:

Thanks Glenn.

I think I might go that route.  I was being a stickler on putting on an original finish, but I might go with what is easier.  I have no doubt that they will be beautiful either way.

Peter

I have seen a number of late AR-3 cabinets with an oil finish, so it can still be considered an "original finish". :)

Roy