Winter 2019 FrankenFest - March 23 Sutton, MA

Pete B

Frankenfest is an audio fest/swap meet that has been going on for many years originally hosted by Frank (RIP) in Clinton MA.

It is organized by people on AudioKarma but we need more people so I am posting here also.  I probably posted too late

about the October 20th 2018 meet so I'm getting a very early start here for the March 23, 2019 Winter Frankenfest.

These are the general rules, $5 fee for main person rest of the family is no charge:

We have once again secured the American Legion Lodge in Sutton, MA for Saturday October 20th, 2018.

We have the room for 12 noon until 5 PM though "organizers" can show up early to help "setup".
The location is just off of route 146 south of the Mass Pike (I90) - so this should be a little bit closer for most of us versus Clinton.

Dudley-Gendron American Legion
156 Boston Rd
Sutton, MA 01590

Here's a link to a map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/A...24bd01d4435f98!8m2!3d42.1598864!4d-71.7401907

There will be an Audiokarma  "Barter Town" thread listing gear that people plan to bring but you have to

subscribe to have access to it.  It is usually created a few months before the date.

For sellers:
As we saw last time there are tables available.
We should bring extension cords and power strips.

They have an ATM in the bar (could be dangerous, I know).

• 1 month later...

I'll  be there if I can make it.  Wanted to go to the October event but missing a family event has a low WAF.

I'd like to  see and hear what others find worthwhile.  My systems are based around refurbished Large Advents (with Pete's BSC) and I want to hear something else for comparison.  Plus many of you guys seem to know a lot more than I do.

Tell your friends, turn out was just okay.

We arrived a bit late and by the time we set up it seemed like half of the people had left.

• 1 month later...

I agree that a main thread announcement would make sense, especially since the

turn out was minimal last time.

This sounds interesting. I think I would like to attend. I wonder if you guys could get some support from DIY shops like Parts Express or Madisound. 

I have bought speaker building supplies, crossover components and drivers from both. They are both great. I don't know if are rules about keeping this a non commercial sight or anything, however people do sell trade and swat things here. I would think it would make a lot of sense to at least approach them. who knows, just a thought. I have a "Frankenspeaker I made from a Yamaha NS series six and a half in a closed box and i really like it. it is actually my main listening pair at the moment. i just got lucky and my mod came out really well. I don't think I'll ever buy a reflex loaded box again. The low distortion and lack of "smear" you get with sealed boxes is a clear advantage. Although PMC makes a line of professional monitors that use transmission line loading and they are great, but that is another thing altogether. I bet PE would be willing to mention "Frankenfest" on their site if the right person asked. That would certainly get some people interested. Just a thought.

• 1 month later...

March 23 is coming up, anyone going?  I don't have much of anything new to show so I 

might skip it.  Perhaps I'll just demo/show the A/B switch that I have since it really 

helps to demonstrate differences in speaker sound/voicing.

• 2 weeks later...

This had a much larger turnout, I'd say over 80 - 90 people and the organizer says that's how

it has been historically, smaller in the Fall.

It was nice chatting with several members from here and from AK.

I agree, Pete, this event was very well attended and a whole lot of fun. Your Advent set-up sounded great and your little Minimus-7 creations were very cool as well. If you haven't yet seen it already, post #171 in that AK thread has a long (30 min) video which captures parts of the day very well. I have not viewed the entire thing yet, but your set-up is shown at least twice. Also shown are piles of interesting gear, several of the systems demonstrations, and even the reverse auction at the end of the day. Plenty of still pics in that thread, too, but the video reminds me how much good music was played throughout the day.      

(Edit: turns out it's a youtube vid, so here it is....)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u2mk8N415s

It was great seeing you again Robert!

I'm determined to get there early to set up (11 AM) next time since between setting up

and talking so much I didn't get to see much equipment or other tables.

Archived