NLA grill cloth?

RickB

Does anyone have any idea(s) for the proper grill cloth for the NLA(New Large Advent)? I have thought about using the AR material from 123 Stitch but I would like to use something closer to the original style. I know this has been discussed here and over at Audiokarma. Thanks for any comments and help. I hope to meet many of you at the Frankenfest this Saturday.

Rick Brumett

• 1 month later...

Here is a picture of the NLA grill. The source for the material is caydoonline.com and the p/n is X001KPU2XF. The weave is tighter than the original but it is very acoustically transparent and passes my listening tests and has Diana's approval. The 2 small lines are threads on the grill now removed.

IMG_0387.jpg

Looks good Rick! I tried to find the cloth but came up blank ( went to caydoonline.com  and searched for X001KPU2XF). Maybe you could post a link to the product directly. I'm sure OLA restorers would appreciate it.

-Kent

I must apologize for the wrong link for the caydo fabric. It is sold now only by amazon. the link is   https://www.amazon.com/Caydo-Needlework-Garments-Accessories-62-Inch/dp/B075Q9CV33/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1545222378&sr=8-5&keywords=caydo+linen+needlework+fabric    When I did two of my NLAs I reused the black under layment and stapled the new cloth over that after I steam ironed the new cloth. It was pretty easy and came out looking really good according to the "Boss" (my wife).

Thanks,

RickB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, RickB said:

Hmm, I don't think this is a good match but you have to make your determination on that issue. Plus It says a minimum 3 yards so that may be a a limiting factor also. I would look again at the DoorMill link.  https://dorrmillstore.com/index.php/site/products/category/foundation_cloth/17

I do think the texture/threadcount of the dormillstore options better match the originals, for sure.  I think a visual upgrade might be in order, though, though opinions obviously will vary widely on that.

As for the minimum amount - no big deal, I have three sets.

Archived