High Quality 92 db 2-way Speakers Using JBL 127H-1 and Dayton RST 28 F-4

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Aadams said:

Is this the same as an Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1? 

Yes.  it is used primarily in cars, similar to JBL's GTI series. Over the years I have collected and traded some very interesting drivers. Infinity Perfect 6.1 woofer is a very sturdy,  good sounding 6.1" cast frame woofer using deeply anodized aluminum cone(aka CMMD). I also have a quartet of JBL 706G1 6.5" cast frame paper woofers used in many L series JBL studio monitors. I am using them  two drivers per cabinet just for midbass. 

Revel IW80 woofer has 8" composite ceramic (variation of CMMD) cone. 

George

pic1.PNG

IMG_6696.JPG

pic2.PNG

15 minutes ago, Aadams said:

Did you build the cabs?

I can see an 8” 3 way or is this a 4 way or perhaps 5 way with a subwoofer?

Yes I built one and three(counting from the left) in the first picture. You can tell by the unfinished look:) The one on the left was a ready made cabinet from Radio Shack. 

With stacked Infinity R152 it will be 4 way.  R152 itself is 2-way. adding Revel 8" for bass and a sub becomes a total of 4 way. 

For the 2-way  Infinity Perfect 6.1 MTM. It blends well with a sub so I am using it in a total 3 way with a sub. 

George

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, Aadams said:

What is the crossover freq of the Revel to the Infinity?

It is only a 12mh sledge hammer steel core inductor (made by Madisound) for a gentle 6db/oct blending around 100 hz. I tried a full 12 db  crossover using a 150 uf shunt cap. The single inductor sounds better. 

I am sorry I missed your question last month because I have been busy with  tuning my newest project. In the picture you can see it is a two way satellite using a pair of JBL706G 6.5-inch woofers and a Dayton RST28A4 tweeter for each channel. The tweeter is mounted on top of the woofers and fastened with rubber bands.  JBL 706G is used in some JBL synthesis and L series and has cast frame and has symmetric magnetic drive.  Each JBL 706G is 4 ohms and has about 87db sensitivity. I am taking a chance to wire them in parallel to get my 92 db sensitivity. With my 2 ohm-capable Crown XLS1502 they seem to be fine. In terms of progress, they just began to sound reasonable.   

George

IMG_6722.thumb.JPG.616d4dc08d8b6dbb2d6dfecc253b94cd.JPG

9 hours ago, Aadams said:

Good news on the Crown.  Have you used its crossover yet? 

The system looks like it could be a good one. Is this it below? Looks like a 4 way with 5 drivers.

image.png.45619b6778de43ea5df6a3f5d0e13315.png

No, I have not tried Crown's  built-in crossover yet. At this point, I am trying to refine the voicing in my satellite speakers. 

As for the 2xJBL 706G/RST 28 A4 system, the bass range is quite robust, about equal to Revel's 8"woofer. Therefore the Revel is only used with stacked Infinity R152.  A common problem with trying DIY speakers is getting those parts to work together!

George

George

• 1 month later...

The latest iteration of my high sensitivity satellite speakers use  Peerless HD  835025 6-1/2" aluminum cone  woofers which went for one-day 50% off sale at Parts-express that I just could  not resist. Each satellite has 2 woofers and one Dayton RST 29 A4 tweeter in MTM configuration. Each woofer has about 87db sensitivity so this MTM with both woofers in parallel would have the potential of about 93 db sensitivity. I first tried MTM satellites over 20 years ago with 2x AR TSW-IMG_6748.thumb.JPG.795a7b7b73ec90c30fade82dfef63353.JPG 105 4"woofers and Dynaudio D28 for each channel. They produced some of the most musical sounding midrange(especially human voices) I ever experienced. So I wanted to recreate that experience again. In the picture, The new Peerless/Dayton MTM is on the right. The next is my stacked Infinity R 152 which is used as a reference. The third from the right is another of my MTM using Infinity Perfect 6.1 woofers and Dayton RS28 A4. My subjective opinion on the Peerless/Dayton MTM is it has very low coloration throughout the entire range. Human voices are very articulate yet sibilant-free. 

Woofer.

https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-835025-6-1-2-Aluminum-Cone-HDS-Woofer-264-1086

Tweeterhttps://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-RST28A-4-1-1-8-Reference-Series-Aluminum-Dome-Tweeter-4-Ohm-275-131

7 hours ago, Aadams said:

Ligs

You have been busy. Is this a ported enclosure and does it use a subwoofer?

Adams

image.png.0accd1d79bf3d8d90951873423e349ff.png I

Yes, ported. Each woofer sits in a 0.49ft3 enclosure and one enclosure sits on top of another to make the whole setup portable. I found the sound is well balanced(to below 50 hz) and has good details and I don't normally need a subwoofer even with Enya's music. These Peerless woofers have  HD motors and cast frames and are very easy to use.  

George

Just a couple more notes about the Peeless 835025 aluminum woofer used in this MTM design. I just found out Mike from AMPsLab had three designs using this woofer. Mike praised its performance and reasonable cost.  Here is an example:

https://ampslab.com/blog/2021/01/21/grosbeak-tbfc/

I continue to like my MTM speakers. They sound more authoritative and more solid  than typical small speakers. In this way they remind me of classic AR speakers with 8" or larger woofers. If anything I like the the treble range to be less analytical and more transparent. 

• 2 months later...

It is working out pretty well. The sound seems to become smoother after month's playing. I would rate it as good as my Adcom GFA 555-2 which I had before. The ability of playing down to low impedance (2 ohms) gives me comfort in driving stacked Infinity R253 in parallel with a pair of Peerless midbass ! I have since acquired another Crown XLS 1502. 

George

• 1 month later...

I did try to use the DSP to set 80 hz high pass to drive my main speakers. It seemed to work just fine. Presently I am trying to trouble-shoot a stereo speaker level -to -line subwoofer crossover/equalizer(from HSU research) that became unbalanced(one channel louder than the other). It  has a 6 db boost at 20 hz in addition to a variable low pass function. I have been trying to trace the circuitry trying to find the problem. Time to refresh my electronics.