AR10Pi metal stands

DavidR

I think those are aftermarket stands, David. The S-1 wasn't angled back, and didn't have the vertical braces shown in your photos.

I don't have measurements for the S-1, but here are a couple of pictures of the AR stand.

I once had four of the S-1 stands, sitting side-by-side, and supporting two pairs of horizontally-stacked AR-3a speakers.

02.jpg

01.jpg

Thanks for the info Steve. I was able to find  this info due to the model number you provided.

Acoustic Research AR S-1. Welded Black Steel Speaker Stands, Specifically for. AR S-1 Welded-Steel Speaker Stands for AR-10P , AR-11 and AR-12. These stands are 13-15/16″W x 10¾D” x 12H and other speakers may fit these stands perfectly. The stands are very high quality, made of welded-steel construction with powder-coated black enamel finish. There are felt pads on the four corners of the top area, and the stands are designed to be used with the “open” end facing the front. These stands are in excellent condition, scratch-free, with only superficial marks or blemishes on the paint. The S-1 stands are becoming more uncommon now and becoming somewhat rare in the vintage-loudspeaker field. Overall Description covered by. Reproduction or copying of any of this material without the express permission of the writer is unlawful and prohibited. The item “Acoustic Research (AR) S-1 Metal Speaker Stands for AR-10, AR-11 and AR-12″ is in sale since Thursday, February 11, 2016. This item is in the category “Consumer Electronics\Vintage Electronics\Vintage Audio & Video\Vintage Speakers”. The seller is “acoustic-research-inc” and is located in High Point, North Carolina. This item can be shipped worldwide.

• Brand: Acoustic Research (“AR”)
  • Model: AR Model S-1
  • Country/Region of Manufacture: United States

I would prefer the tilted ones however. I figure it's about a 10 degree tilt.

That's some good Googling - the S-1 specs are a nice addition to the database!  As I recall, they were very well-constructed, with a smooth satin finish. 

A&M Fabrication might be a good source for custom tilted stands with the same dimensions as the S-1.

https://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/

They built a pair of stands using 5/4" steel, filled with sand with floor spikes & powdercoating for a very reasonable price. Most of their stands appear to use 1" tubing, but the 5/4" really looks substantial.

The AR S-1 also fit the 3a very nicely.  Since years ago I mounted my main set of 3a's on the wall, I haven't used the stands (I bought them new when I worked for Pacific Stereo, probably 40 years ago or so).  I don't want to deal with shipping them but if there's someone in the SF Bay Area (Northern California) who'd like to make me an good offer for local pickup, please do.  If this post is out of order, sorry ... please delete - I do value this site highly.

1 hour ago, johnfalc said:

The AR S-1 also fit the 3a very nicely.  Since years ago I mounted my main set of 3a's on the wall, I haven't used the stands (I bought them new when I worked for Pacific Stereo, probably 40 years ago or so).  I don't want to deal with shipping them but if there's someone in the SF Bay Area (Northern California) who'd like to make me an good offer for local pickup, please do.  If this post is out of order, sorry ... please delete - I do value this site highly.

You might want to post it in the For Sale forum - but read the rules in the sticky thread first.

I had a steel fab shop custom make a pair of stands to match the original AR stands for my AR-11's & AR-14's.  The AR-10pi & AR-12 use the same stands.  Attached are couple of pdf's of the drawings that I prepared for the fab shop.  I was originally going to have them fabricate 4 stands, but I managed to pick a pair of originals before they got started, so I had them use those as guides for the new stands.  The outside speakers (AR-11's)in the attached photo sit on the new stands, whereas the center speaker (AR-14) sits on one of the original AR stands (I have a single center rear AR-14 that sits on the other original stand).  

The steel fab shop that I used typically doesn't make non-structural fabrications.  The smallest tubing that they had on hand was 1-1/8"  square structural steel tubing with 1/8" thick walls (the new stands outweigh the original stands by more than a factor of 2).  They did an excellent job, and you can't tell the difference unless you set the new and original stands right next to each other.  I did have them repaint the existing stands to match the new.  

With the 12" tall stands the tweeter & midrange of the AR-11's are right at ear level when seated, so I wouldn't recommend tilting the stands. 

AR-11 Stands Isometric.pdf

AR-11 Stands Dimensions.pdf

AR-11 Speakers & Stands.JPG

7 hours ago, AR55 said:

I had a steel fab shop custom make a pair of stands to match the original AR stands for my AR-11's & AR-14's.  The AR-10pi & AR-12 use the same stands.  Attached are couple of pdf's of the drawings that I prepared for the fab shop.  I was originally going to have them fabricate 4 stands, but I managed to pick a pair of originals before they got started, so I had them use those as guides for the new stands.  The outside speakers (AR-11's)in the attached photo sit on the new stands, whereas the center speaker (AR-14) sits on one of the original AR stands (I have a single center rear AR-14 that sits on the other original stand).  

The steel fab shop that I used typically doesn't make non-structural fabrications.  The smallest tubing that they had on hand was 1-1/8"  square structural steel tubing with 1/8" thick walls (the new stands outweigh the original stands by more than a factor of 2).  They did an excellent job, and you can't tell the difference unless you set the new and original stands right next to each other.  I did have them repaint the existing stands to match the new.  

With the 12" tall stands the tweeter & midrange of the AR-11's are right at ear level when seated, so I wouldn't recommend tilting the stands. 

AR-11 Stands Isometric.pdf

AR-11 Stands Dimensions.pdf

AR-11 Speakers & Stands.JPG

That's a nice, clean set-up.  I like it. ?. And a Fringe fan as well.  I can't argue with that either.  A fun show.  :D

Archived