Removing 3-A Front Wired Tweeters

Charles218

I recently had Chris restore a pair of 3-A tweeters and I am finally getting around to installing them. The tweeters that are mounted in the boxes now both work, but Chris suggested that I swap them out for the newly restored units. I tend to be extremely cautious when working on these so I am checking to see if there are any tricks to actually pulling them out without causing damage. I've unsoldered the wires and removed the screws. Any suggestions for pulling them out?

Remove as much of the putty sealer as possible that has squeezed out around the mounting plate, and then you'll have some room to get a flat blade screw driver under the plate to lift out. Use a metal taping blade to protect the baffle while using the screw driver. Some also use a paint can opener from Home Depot, and others use dental pics to reach under the plate.

Glenn

Glenn - I did know about the paint can opener, though it has been several many years since I've opened these up and I forgot about it. It took all of three minutes and one tweeter is out. I thought I would just exchange one for now, and then do a comparison of the old original tweeter and the newly restored unit.

Thanks!!!

A brief follow-up - My son and I spent time tonight listening to the 3A's, he has the gift of perfect pitch and tends to hear the slightest differences in musical nuances. Also, he was not aware of which speaker was original and which had the restored tweeter. The bottom line is we definitely heard differences between the two, but it was very, very subtle. The restored tweeter seemed slightly more detailed. My sense is that had we not been listening with the new tweeter in mind, I don't think that we would have noted a difference. These speakers sound very good, I'm so glad that I have the AR bug. So I would say that Chris' tweeter restore is fantastic, the fact that these fifty year old units can be brought back to life is a major accomplishment.

Listening material included the "Marsalis Standard Time" disc, and "Virtuosi" with Gary Burton and Makoto Ozone.

McIntosh 2205 Power Amp
McIntosh C-30 Preamp

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I have the same but for a c-26. My 5's are sounding great now, but the 3a's are whispering...

Archived