Acoustic Research AR-5 rebuild service

Jimmie Holland

Hi, Have a set of Acoustic Research AR-5 speakers which were restored in 2016 by Human Speakers back east. The restoration included replacing all wires, tweeter and midrange controls, woofers re-foamed, new caps installed and binding post replaced.  A few days ago while listening to jazz music I began to hear static/distortion from the midrange driver of the left speaker and all of a sudden there was no longer any output from the midrange driver.  The speakers are 50 years old so I assumed that the driver is worn out. Is their anyone out there that may know of any rebuild services that specialize in rebuilding the AR-5 Midrange drivers or if replacement midrange drivers are available? I would appreciate any information that would help me resolve this issue. I love the sound quality of vintage AR speakers.

Thanks,

Jimmie Holland

Edited by Jimmie Holland
I left out and item

Goodmorning, yes I've tried turning the controls on the rear of the speaker to see if it would help but still no output.  I have a used midrange driver that I just received Saturday from an ebay seller that parted out his AR-5's which measured 4.8ohms which I plan on installing it this morning. I would be helpful to have a source for replacement parts and repair facilities for the AR-5 midrange drivers.
Thanks for your input.
Jimmie

If you feel competent the next easiest thing to do is to send the amp output directly to the mid driver terminals.  If it is not a front wired mid you will need to remove the driver.  IMO If you are sketchy on how to accomplish any of what I have suggested without damaging your electronics then don't do it and instead seek competent help.

Adams

My tech was able to test my original AR-5 midrange driver and confirm that it was worn out. We installed the used AR-5 midrange driver that I found on ebay and it functions as it should.

I wish there were replacement midrange or tweeter drivers available or if there were facilities that rebuild the AR-5 drivers that I might be able to preserve my AR-5's and enjoy the sound quality the produce.

Thanks again for your advice,

Jimmie Holland

The tweeters can be rebuilt and probably should be even if they appear to be working.............if you want similar to new performance.  To my knowledge no one is rebuilding AR dome midranges but they don't degrade over time as the tweeters do.  If the three orange dots around your tweeter domes are crusty, crumbly, stiff or missing your tweeters are ailing.  The orange dots should be soft and pliable.

An alternative is to use HI VI tweeters. 

Everything I have told you can be researched on this forum.

Adams

Glad you are up and running again. I have a set of fives that are all original and a set with the Hi-Vi conversion and it is obvious that I need to have Chris rebuild the dome tweeters.

Love the AR-5s for sentimental reasons ;)

Here is an easy way to find  more info on them here by using this search phrase: "AR-5 site:http://www.classicspeakerpages.net"

Roger

I am interested in getting info on these and even dead drivers would help.

See if Roy can fix it then I'd be interested in the dead one.

On 8/7/2018 at 4:30 PM, Jimmie Holland said:

My tech was able to test my original AR-5 midrange driver and confirm that it was worn out. We installed the used AR-5 midrange driver that I found on ebay and it functions as it should.

I wish there were replacement midrange or tweeter drivers available or if there were facilities that rebuild the AR-5 drivers that I might be able to preserve my AR-5's and enjoy the sound quality the produce.

Thanks again for your advice,

Jimmie Holland

So, you're the one who bought that midrange. I've been watching it for months but held off acquiring it as I need two midranges and never saw a second one listed. I hope it works out for you.

28 minutes ago, Aadams said:

IS it practical to a adapt a 3a mid to 8ohm use in an AR 5?

Does the difference between a 4  ohm and 8 ohm midrange have something to do with the windings of the voice coil?

2 hours ago, ctjetta said:

So, you're the one who bought that midrange. I've been watching it for months but held off acquiring it as I need two midranges and never saw a second one listed. I hope it works out for you.

I just happened to stumble across the ebay listing a couple days ago and the seller had it listed for $89.99 and it was the second driver he sold. I wish I could have purchased both midrange drivers as they are difficult to find in good condition.

Jimmie

1 hour ago, larrybody said:

Does the difference between a 4  ohm and 8 ohm midrange have something to do with the windings of the voice coil?

Yes

9 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Is there a huge difference between these 2 types of domes?  I'm just curious as to why the AR-3 mids can be fixed, where the 3a & 5 domes can't.

Thanks.

Yes, they are constructed very differently.  The AR-3 mid is essentially a large version of the orange phenolic dome AR-3 tweeter (foam suspension blobs, aluminum voice coil wire, etc). The 3a and 5 mids have more modern construction with a cloth dome/rolled cloth suspension, among other differences.

Roy