Ar3 midrange

arken

Yeah I kinda figured that, Is it fair to say the larger squared off ones are more sought after than the rounded back ones are? The year is correct 1965. If they go to high I will just put the newer Ar11 midranges in there and call it a day.3-4 hundred is what I am expecting but who knows, prices on anything ar3 has gone right through the roof. There was a painted pair that were falling apart with holes in the woofer that were in terrible shape that sold for 500 in a matter of a few hours and they were for pick up only!

Thought I would update this. The midranges I was bidding on went for just under 600 bucks. Ironically enough there were 10 people or so bidding but the winning bid was placed right at cutoff when the bidding was to end. The winning guy just waited till the end to bid , he did not bid all week. 587.00 with shipping. People have gone crazy with AR3!!! Going back to putting mids from 3A or 11 in there and calling it a day!  

Yeah--"sniping" is a common ebay thing.

As I wrote previously, the AR-3a or 10pi or 11 mids along with HiVi tweets AND AR-3a crossovers will give you very nice 3a's and you can sell your old mids and tweets (even dead ones) on ebay.

Keep us posted.

Kent

3 hours ago, arken said:

Thought I would update this. The midranges I was bidding on went for just under 600 bucks. Ironically enough there were 10 people or so bidding but the winning bid was placed right at cutoff when the bidding was to end. The winning guy just waited till the end to bid , he did not bid all week. 587.00 with shipping. People have gone crazy with AR3!!! Going back to putting mids from 3A or 11 in there and calling it a day!  

That is easily your best bet. It is likely those overpriced AR-3 mids have the old caked material around the domes requiring work to remove it.

There is no need to convert your 3's to 3a's. Simply use the last AR-3 crossover with the later mids.

Roy

11 minutes ago, RoyC said:

There is no need to convert your 3's to 3a's. Simply use the last AR-3 crossover with the later mids.

Good to know. The 3 xo is much simpler (3 xo 1st pic below, 3a 2nd) and before I built the 3a xo I really liked how the speakers sounded. Never did an A/B comparison though. I just "assumed" the later model mid and tweet would require those xo changes. Live n learn ?

Kent

PS: The box contains Ohmite pots. Not worth the hassle IMHO. It's L-pads for me now.

rebuilt AR3 XO (9).jpg

my AR3a xo.jpg

Edited by JKent

Yes, I am going to put the 3's together this weekend. Roy, do you think it matters if you use the 11 vs 3a mids? I have a pair of 11 mids but there is a reasonable set of 3a's mids on ebay if I had to? Is the much of a difference between the two? If not I'll I use my 11mids and run the wire from back to front.  Thanks Ken

7 hours ago, arken said:

Yes, I am going to put the 3's together this weekend. Roy, do you think it matters if you use the 11 vs 3a mids? I have a pair of 11 mids but there is a reasonable set of 3a's mids on ebay if I had to? Is the much of a difference between the two? If not I'll I use my 11mids and run the wire from back to front.  Thanks Ken

I wouldn't hesitate to use the AR-11 mids, Ken.

Roy

30 minutes ago, arken said:

Thanks Roy!

Yes....Roy helped me with crossover with my 3's and sounds great with the 3a mids. I wasn't even aware the late model 3's had some 3a mids in them. So don't forget the crossover work!

I have a pair of 3a's here with original mids done by Roy and the modded 3's and wanted to compare....but I am in the middle of completely remodeling the great room so everything is stored for now. Hope to be done in a couple of weeks so I can test these.

Lakecat   Yes please I would be very curious to know the difference in the two speakers. I just couldn't bring my self to spend 600 for the mids not knowing if there even any good and even if they are good you still need to have them worked on in all likelihood?  There's another couple hundred. Now your looking at 800 for a set of midranges!!!!  I have one of the rounded back style, i'll run into another one day. Until then I'm using the ones from the 11's So please do compare the two and let everyone know!! Were anxiously awaiting! 

• 1 year later...

Really late to this conversation but worth the post.  I also have a set of 3's and at least one of the mids has a slipped magnet. Sent it to Roy (thanks Roy) and he helped me with a number of things. One of my mids is the original deep set round three bolt type and the other is the shallow but huge round magnet type. I am guessing there was work done in the past on these speakers because of that. I still have not decided what I  am going to do as far as what type to put in but I do know this their are mids out there with slipped magnets that cannot be repaired so I will not consider  buying a set of the originals. I am going for the AR 3 or later mids with the crossover change if and when I decide to do this. I appreciate all you guys for helping as you do here on site.

51 minutes ago, VSAT88 said:

Also, would the AR 5 midrange be the same well usable in the AR 3 ? From what I read they are both 1 1/2 inch and look the same facing the front anyhow.

The AR-5 mid is an 8 ohm driver. It's also even rarer than the AR-3 mid. Not a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/9500-an-interesting-variant-of-the-ar-3/Hi all,

Newbie here (have been desperately awaiting the re-opening of the forum), but am also in the process of rebuilding some AR3s using the AR3a mid (late crossover) and having read this convo just wanted to ask if anyone has a photo of their crossover for an AR3 using AR3a Mid rather than starting a whole new topic for it? I have the very helpful schematic but I'd like to double check using a photo for safety too if anyone has one.

Also is it an issue if my tweeters are front wired and the mids back wired? It doesn't seem like it based on the schematic and the fact there are 4 posts on the front of the speaker but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks, I'll start a new post is people prefer

Edited: eventually found a really helpful topic that answers the above, linking here in case anyone else ever needs it: 

Edited by Cropper
Added link