Calling Frank Marsi

DavidR

7-27-18

A-hoy, who goes there…….

Don’t shoot, it is I………

David it is I.

I’ve been busy getting back into my music collection and haven’t been spending too much time on the web.

Those LST 2’s would easily fit into a room in the late sixties or early 70’s but are just too out of place these days unless your room is ‘retro’. And, it is very true that my main passion and attraction is only for 12 inch woofer equipped speakers.

Although, I’ve lately been getting back into playing my bass guitar again, I first had to have my Bassman amp refurbished. It has two 15 inch speakers and still puts out well enough. I also find it amazing how playing guitar has been elevated to new heights by the newer generations  and styles of playing,  especially for me to see since I use to play 45 years ago. 

The amplifier was slightly modified from 50 watts to 70 and seems to put-out a touch more. In the guitar amp-world, tubes have their place however, replacing tubes is costly, as I shelled-out recently but, I always knew this is the cost of admission.

Using two "Ovation" 15 inch speakers directly as in using a musical instrument amplifier still reinforces my long held beliefs about using 12 inch woofers as the ultimate size woofers for home stereo use.

I find for home stereo use, 10 inch woofers try to satisfy but, just don’t have the where with-all,  8 inch woofers are simply inadequate, and 15 inch woofers just too lumbering and slow.

Other than that, my system is still impressing me every time I listen to it, and using my newly acquired vintage tone-arms has been very satisfying all around as I’m glad for the choices I’ve made. My latest favorites are the two “Dynavector DV-505” arms I waited to find in mint condition. 

What befuddles me is so many folks here are so into their vintage AR speakers but, insist that CD (a relatively more modern ‘input-source’) is the way to go.

I feel, if you’re going to be a stickler about vintage speakers what the heck are you doing with CD’s or silly downloads? Clearly the counter-part of vintage speakers is using LP’s. My only exception, is using high-end modern phono-cartridges as the older cartridges simply cannot compare to the new designed cartridges that I use. And, it can’t be realized until one focuses on the vinyl front-end and makes the change to upgrade to better that input-source in order to ultimately realize how wonderfully cared for vinyl records and an upgraded table, tonearm and cartridge make. It’s odd how folks here insist on using old and on their last legs speakers and yet feed them CDs. To me, that’s not a complete dedication to the vintage realm but, is only going half way. Not using vinyl is missing out on a whole lot of fun.  A quality and well set-up vinyl rig is certainly more complete and affords more musical satisfaction over-all.

5 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

What befuddles me is so many folks here are so into their vintage AR speakers but, insist that CD (a relatively more modern ‘input-source’) is the way to go.

I feel, if you’re going to be a stickler about vintage speakers what the heck are you doing with CD’s or silly downloads? Clearly the counter-part of vintage speakers is using LP’s. My only exception, is using high-end modern phono-cartridges as the older cartridges simply cannot compare to the new designed cartridges that I use. And, it can’t be realized until one focuses on the vinyl front-end and makes the change to upgrade to better that input-source in order to ultimately realize how wonderfully cared for vinyl records and an upgraded table, tonearm and cartridge make. It’s odd how folks here insist on using old and on their last legs speakers and yet feed them CDs. To me, that’s not a complete dedication to the vintage realm but, is only going half way. Not using vinyl is missing out on a whole lot of fun.  A quality and well set-up vinyl rig is certainly more complete and affords more musical satisfaction over-all.

I think we have been down this road before............. together as I remember.

There is a man on this forum with stacked LSTs that loves to futz around with vinyl, who eschews digital and is set in his ways.  Some of us other members would rather sit back and take it easy.  What is fun for one person can be futzing for another. It is difficult to make a man change his ways if he is comfortable in his little world of audio........ myself included.  I like to lie down and treat my system as a jukebox.  As long as the sound meets my expectations I am fine and I believe that is the way it is with most of us.  There would have to be a guaranteed huge payoff for me to change now or the desired object would have to be very shiny.

Finally If your speakers are on their last legs they need to refurbished.  How are your tweeters btw?

Cheers

Adams

image.thumb.png.b8cd212f58108ce0c9557b0abba0f658.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.7094afb27637d2d28bb6c8b70d76ebbc.jpeg

Frank Says;

I find for home stereo use, 10 inch woofers try to satisfy but, just don’t have the where with-all,  8 inch woofers are simply inadequate, and 15 inch woofers just too lumbering and slow.

I do agree about the 12" being optimal.

My 3a pair has the cat's meow in the sub 70 hz range, whereas all the variants of the 2 series just don't thump adequately.

Frank Says;

Although, I’ve lately been getting back into playing my bass guitar again, I first had to have my Bassman amp refurbished. It has two 15 inch speakers and still puts out well enough. I also find it amazing how playing guitar has been elevated to new heights by the newer generations  and styles of playing,  especially for me to see since I use to play 45 years ago. 

The amplifier was slightly modified from 50 watts to 70 and seems to put-out a touch more. In the guitar amp-world, tubes have their place however, replacing tubes is costly, as I shelled-out recently but, I always knew this is the cost of admission.

I too have a Bassman, mine is a 1978 silverface Bassman 70.

I have had it since the early 80's

I recently replaced every electrolytic cap in it, it brought back the oomph and lost the Mmmmmmm.

I didn't use the Fender cabinet for gigging though.

It was connected to a sideways stacked pair of Acoustic Control Corp cabinets.

A 360  (1 x 18")  folded horn bottom with a 250 (2 x 15") on top

Those were a bear to schlep down greasy staircases into places I'd play at but wouldn't be seen at otherwise.

They are still at the drummer's house.

Now it plays through a 1 x 18" sealed box cabinet, plenty for small hall or casual jams.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, DavidR said:

Do you like cranberry...?

Even tho' I would not refer to that shade of red as "cranberry", it is only six panels of grille cloth that require replacement in order to have a gorgeous pair of excellent classic speakers. Of particular interest to me with this pair is the black cabinet finish, which looks terrific when paired with the typical AR off-white linen.

1 hour ago, Stimpy said:

....these newly listed LST-2's....

Yeah, that looks like a very nice pair of speakers. I was just in Albany, OR last week but determined they would not fit in my carry-on baggage. :lol:

Attached is pic of LST's with black cabs and typical linen.

AR-LST black.jpg

10 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Yeah, that looks like a very nice pair of speakers. I was just in Albany, OR last week but determined they would not fit in my carry-on baggage. :lol:

AR-LST black.jpg

Wow those are actually reasonable, concidering the cosmetics are excellent, looks to be all original drivers etc. 

Now on on the other hand, the True Blood Fangtasia edition LST2's would need new veneer, grill cloth, the correct woofers and at least one midrange replaced. With that kind of tampering who knows what else was changed and messed with, all for a bargain price of $1950?! What a clown. 

On 8/4/2018 at 10:19 AM, Chris1this1 said:

Now on on the other hand, the True Blood Fangtasia edition LST2's would need new veneer, grill cloth, the correct woofers and at least one midrange replaced. With that kind of tampering who knows what else was changed and messed with, all for a bargain price of $1950?! What a clown. 

Yeah, you're not gonna catch me forking over two grand for these either, but I had to find the listing again and look closer to understand your comments here. Agree about the grille cloth, of course - - - that's the central premise of this thread anyway, eh? - - - and yep, one midrange has been replaced with a more modern version. But I'm not sure I agree with your other two points. For a pair of black cabinets (which does appeal to me), the surfaces look easily restorable, and it appears that the woofers might be 10" Tonegen replacements from the AR factory.

LST-2 black.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hello DavidR, thanks for asking.

I've  immersed myself even further into a collection of jazz music that I've been putting together for maximum enjoyment as that's the main objective of course.

Some new disks, some used disks but, all ultrasonically cleaned and each giving me the satisfaction I seek. I'm finding there is much music I may have over looked through out the years and as long as I've put so much time, effort and money in my glorious sounding system, I may as well enjoy it.

Other than that, I've been focusing on tonearms and cartridges to tinker with, though I'm glad to see a group of new members here who are eager and with a positive energy. 

I see that you're still holding up the fort here though. What's new with you?

Kind of you for caring enough to ask.

Be well, one day I'll have to have you over. Just be prepared to be completely won over by vinyl.

Below: I still enjoy using my Thorens TD125 here equipped with a mint SME3009 with the desirable earlier split-weight counter-weight. Arm is graced with an "Orsonic" head shell and a "Audio-Technica" ART-9 moving coil cartridge.

649551151_SMEARMCounter-weights1-13-19copy.thumb.jpg.d03b0b61bd9fd56b9ab91b8c7020fe31.jpg

Beautiful shot of the tonearm Frank.  Well done.

Plus, I'm glad that DavidR inquired as to your whereabouts?  We'd been wondering where you'd disappeared to?  Good to hear you were having fun!  Care to share your Jazz listening list?  I'm always interested in a good music list.

2-12-19

To "ar_pro". Turntable is a Mk.1 with the better bearing assemble and it’s a 8.7+ in condition and barely used when I acquired it it 2010, I have another that's about a 7 in condition.

To "Stimpy". I decided to augment the classic S.M.E.3009 by adding the ‘split-weight’ earlier counter-weight addition, it being a very difficult part to locate. What it offered me was better tracking by moving the main counter-weight closer to the pivot-point while using the split-weight to balance out the stylus’ weight. I had to do this as I find most cartridges sound better with an arm of higher mass.

In this case I’m using a “Orsonic” headshell which is 10 grams plus wires, tags and mounting screws so, to balance this along with a 8.5 gram “ART-9” cartridge I decided to operate with the additional split-weight. In other news, it's no secret that my Ortofon Cadenza Blue cartridge sounds better in the Dynavector 505 arm on a Technics SL-1100 in system numero dos.

In the very near future I will be using this set-up with all of my S.M.E. Pre-Improved arms as I find not only does it afford better tracking additionally, the sound quality is improved because of the more steadfast tracking and inertia due to the increased total assembly's weight.

For the longest time I have been fond of the classic S.M.E. 3009 Pre-Approved arms as they’ve been a thing of beauty for me ever since I first became aware of them in the mid 1960s. Their graceful ease of use and excellent/neutral sound qualities have been world renowned for over 60 years.

However, when using my “Dynavector” DV505 tone arms such is not the case as those arms are quite massive and can easily support a heavy cartridge and heavier headshell with-out the need of adding more counter-weight as does the “Fidelity-Research” FR-54 in my ever growing tonearm collection.

I’ve even gone as far as beefing-up my two Grace F 840 arms in a similar fashion as they have responded remarkedly well to such modifications also.

This is all due to my moving away from lighter weight moving-magnet cartridges these last few years to the more detailed and exuberant sound quality of moving-coil cartridges.

And in terms of the vintage AR speaker sound quality, any heightening of the higher frequency response is always welcome.

To answer “Stimpy”, I’ll only throw a few in here as there’s too many to list.

Oscar Peterson                      

Cannonball Adderly

Nat Adderly

Art Blakey

Ray Brown

Eddie Cleanhead Vinson

Joe Williams

BIll Evans

Ahmad Jamal

Louie Bellson

Ella Fitzgerald

Eartha Kitt

Della Reese

Benny Carter

Count Basie

Roy Eldridge

Niels Pedersen

Zoot Sims

Thelonious Monk

Dizzy Gillespie

Horace Silver

John Coltrane

Lee Morgan

Red Garland

Hank Mobley

Dexter Gordon

Sonny Rollins

Sonny Clark

Chet Baker

Duke Ellington

Ornett Coleman

Art Pepper

Miles Davis

Joe Newman

Ben Webster

Wayne Shorter

Just to name a few as I find I dwell in the jazz years of the early 1950s to 1965 though I have some late 1940's also. I'm more of a 'Be-Bop' and 'Swing' fan.

If you wanted to know a more concise list by album name, that's possible but would take more time. In the last two years I have added over 500 albums of jazz only. But, please don't be dissuaded as the main collection is presently over 7000 and that's 90% Rock with about 1000+ disks of classical.

Of course when I see a 'classical' title I enjoy, I'll buy that also. I'm a music listening person who listens with vintage 'TOTL'  AR speakers and high amplifier power. Is there any other way?

FM

On 8/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, ra.ra said:

AR-LST black.jpg

I really like this look!

To "ar_pro". Yes it is and it’s a 8.7+ in condition and barely used when I acquired it it 2010, I have another that's about a 7 in condition.

That's a beautiful, well-built turntable, and a very nice match with the classic SME arm. And your Orsonic headshell is wild looking! 

We currently use a pair of Technics SL-1210 turntables with rebuilt SME 3009 arms that we really enjoy. The ECM vinyl release of "Awase" by Nik Bartsch's Ronin arrived last week, and there are subtle audible differences between it and the 24-88 download that might or might not be "better". :mellow:

sme.jpg

On 7/27/2018 at 11:14 AM, frankmarsi said:

3 minutes ago, frankmarsi said:

What is your goal here?  It seems divisive.

That's not a response to the funny video is it?

btw, your in box may be full. Tried to send a PM

Archived