Facts on AR collector demand....

lakecat

Just this week, I saw two AR3 woofers being described as average sell for $490.00. I now see an AR3 mid with low output for sale...asking $295 or best. I had an AR3 mid that Roy couldn't fix...so I threw it on the bay described as not working. It sold for $149 plus shipping!

I see a lot of AR products selling for higher prices so the desire to own AR vintage audio is in a sweet spot. Soldier on...

14 hours ago, lakecat said:

Just this week, I saw two AR3 woofers being described as average sell for $490.00. I now see an AR3 mid with low output for sale...asking $295 or best. I had an AR3 mid that Roy couldn't fix...so I threw it on the bay described as not working. It sold for $149 plus shipping!

I see a lot of AR products selling for higher prices so the desire to own AR vintage audio is in a sweet spot. Soldier on...

Yes....not surprised but always amazed at the following and demand for vintage AR pieces.

I am primarily an Allison guy, and as I watch Allison’s fade into oblivion, I get a little jealous!

Considering the performance delivered by either the 3 or 3a, I don’t consider those prices to be over the top by any means.

Bill

On 6/27/2018 at 5:55 PM, lakecat said:

I was interested in those AR3 woofers, but not at the price they sold for. Now I see that they are relisted. 

Yea...I see that but I looked at completed sales and saw a pair sell for $631 on April 7th! 

I wanted to ask if you are going the Parts Express Audio Fest on the 14th? They have expanded spots twice for sellers. Said this is the largest they ever had.

Yes I plan on attending my third Audio Fest next week. I can see it is expanding every year. Probably will be 95 degrees there. So much stuff you normally don't see and people with much knowledge and enthusiasm  about vintage audio.

10 hours ago, lakecat said:

....the Parts Express Audio Fest....

2 hours ago, larrybody said:

...it is expanding every year....

If you can maintain your senses while fending off the Ohio heat and humidity, please post some pics so we can get an idea what this event is about. Thx.

Yes I plan on attending my third Audio Fest next week. I can see it is expanding every year. Probably will be 95 degrees there. So much stuff you normally don't see and people with much knowledge and enthusiasm  about vintage audio.

Cool...I have a spot with my buddy from Indy. Look for a 2016 red chevy silverado with black cap. Hope to see more people with deeper pockets as I am running out of stuff to sell under $200!...lol. Will probably do some trading with Phil. Traded a nice Nikki receiver for a pair of 2ax's and a pair of 2x with him last year. He also brought over a pair of AR3 tweeters for $20 which I grabbed...and tested good.

It was nice meeting you last year.

I guess premium pricing is to be expected.  But, what irritates me, is when an eBay seller expects top dollar for speakers that clearly are not in excellent condition.  Especially when they need refoaming, and are obviously banged up.   :angry:

The value of any object is determined by what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you know anyone who's interested in an original early 1963 AR turntable for $10,000, send 'em my way. :)

The first year (2016) I met Bryan Robinson, a  vintage speaker enthusiast from the Indianapolis area like me. I got a nice pair of KLH 17's from him. I think I paid $75.00.

0eVlueI.jpg

This may be a picture of Lakecat's stuff from that same year. I did not really talk to him till last year. That is when another guy overheard our conversation and I got the contact that eventually lead to my 9's.  

XgJArxh.jpg

I wound up coming home with two nice sets of original advents cabinets. Of the eight drivers seven were wrong. Bought a set for $30.00 and the guy threw the other set in for $5.00 extra.  He probably didn't want to haul them home. I did eventually acquire the correct  woofers and tweeters, but have yet to complete them a year later. Who knows what I will find this year. I might need a bigger vehicle.

EQovZBv.jpg   

Wow!...small world Larry. Bryan is who I met the first year when he bought my ADS L980's I had there. His work takes him occasionally to a nearby office where I live so has been over a few times to hear my systems. He is the one that is sharing my spot this year. I am suppose to follow him after the audio fest and stay a night at his house and hear his systems.

That isn't my equipment in that picture but he was next to me. I was sharing a spot with Dave who helps set up this thing. That is when I found out not to take expensive stuff here as Bryan came up to my car as I was loading up those ADS's to take back home. Everyone loved them and got compliments all day but when hearing the price ($700)….slowly disappeared...lol. Bryan walked over and said he couldn't stand it and had to have them…..so offered $500 and two AR 12" woofers...one 3 and one 3a....so we dealt. 

Of the eight drivers seven were wrong.

Nice Advents (...cabinets, at least) - - - those red tweeters look authentic and original, but no? In any case, thx for the pics - - that's what I was hoping to see - - some nice gear there, wish I could attend.   

9 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Nice Advents (...cabinets, at least) - - - those red tweeters look authentic and original, but no? In any case, thx for the pics - - that's what I was hoping to see - - some nice gear there, wish I could attend.   

The tweeters on the right are original Advent. The dome tweeters on the left are aftermarket copies of the tweeters found in the later 5XXX series.  The tweeter with the aluminum plate is  correct for the Large Advent. The tweeter with the Masonite plate is from a Smaller Advent and has a 2 1/2 in square magnet as compared with the aluminium plate tweeter with a 3 in square magnet.  Both of my smaller Advent pairs have the green tweeter, the red came later when they probably ran out of green paint. They are probably interchangeable, but the larger magnet version would have slightly higher output. Theoretically. 

I've seen this explanation of the red and green Advent tweeters discussed in this forum and elsewhere, along with the magnet sizes, but I can never keep it all straight. My two pairs of smaller Advents are different versions - - one is 1972 green/small; the other is 1975 red/large. Identical woofers, cabinets and grilles, but different values on the capacitors.

Good luck at the swap meet. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another thought on the crazy prices is the demand in the Asian market. It's like hi-end Japanese gear than is rare in the states, sells for big bucks, and parts are very difficult to find and will be expensive.

Glenn

11 hours ago, GD70 said:

Another thought on the crazy prices is the demand in the Asian market. It's like hi-end Japanese gear than is rare in the states, sells for big bucks, and parts are very difficult to find and will be expensive.

Glenn

Not just Asia .....as I have sold AR's to Italy...and Australia....and Brazil. AR has a worldwide audience....as evidence here with posters.

Older millennials may also be a contributor to the higher prices of AR speakers.  My daughter, like many of her friends, has embraced vinyl.  She and some of her friends also want to play their records through truly vintage systems, preferably one’s that are older than themselves.  Many of these systems include AR speakers.  Her system includes fully restored AR-98Ls speakers, Dual 621 turntable & Pioneer SA-7500 integrated amp.

I have heard a LOT of modern gear - I go to RMAF - and hear many items - both expensive and "budget".  Of course "budget" in this era is actually ridiculously priced.   Though at any audio show one does not hear much that is < $3,000 - for anything.

I digress.

Considering the sonic quality ALONE of what  you get with a well chosen "vintage" system compared to what you get with some "modern" gear the prospective buyer is actually getting a much better deal for his/her dollar.   The draw back of vintage stuff is that it may break or deteriorate even faster.  The stuff is 40 to 50 years old.

I put together a set of AR-91s, ($600) and a Marantz 2252 ($350) - so for $950 I had an excellent system.   Try to match that with ANY modern gear.   Cannot do it.  The last modern rig I assembled was a set of Pioneer PS-22 two ways, a Yammy receiver and the total cost was about $800 - and it cannot touch the Marantz/AR rig - in tone, bass range, musicality or dynamics.  Not even close. 

Archived