AR-XA in box?

frankmarsi

1 hour ago, newandold said:

I don’t know, IMHO, until a vinyl nut arrives at where he/she, wants to be with turntable cartridge considerations, an EQ would not even figure into the mix.

Not an exacting science.....knowing for sure where the differences in the audio spectrum will be between specific cartridge tonearm combinations.

Bill

and now we agree.  Why use an equalizer if one is willing to search for cartridge/arm combos that will provide what is sought in hard wired form? (Rhetorical) 

Adams

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Aadams said:

and now we agree.  Why use an equalizer if one is willing to search for cartridge/arm combos that will provide what is sought in hard wired form? (Rhetorical) 

Adams

I disagree, actually.

The purpose of an equalizer is to arrive at a nominally flat response in the listening room, from the loudspeakers, compensating for room anomalies, loudspeaker placement and so on.

You would not be swapping cartridges as a means to achieve that.

Once EQ has been established in the listening room, there would normally be little variation in that regardless of the source.

Bill

17 minutes ago, newandold said:

I disagree, actually.

The purpose of an equalizer is to arrive at a nominally flat response in the listening room, from the loudspeakers, compensating for room anomalies, loudspeaker placement and so on.

You would not be swapping cartridges as a means to achieve that.

Once EQ has been established in the listening room, there would normally be little variation in that regardless of the source.

Bill

No, we really do agree.  I merely skipped over a lot of words about equalizers to say we agreed.  And I am still leaving out some details because in the end it will make no difference in our lives but, I do believe we agree.

17 hours ago, newandold said:

Equalization is what you do AFTER you have tweaked your turntable/tonearm/ cartridge/to deliver the most accurate rendering of the music possible.

You are right about the futzing, but if you are a record nut, NO amount of that is too much.

Bill

After being a futzer for way too many years, I completely disagree with this statement. But if futzing is something that one enjoys then by all means do it to your heart's content.

Archived