Newly acquired AR-LST

djcheung

6-10-18

Well, "lakecat" was absolutely correct in order to give more rigidity to the structure over-all. As you had them, all it would've taken was one good push in the wrong direction and the whole thing would've bent and collapsed like a folding chair. It would've been, good-bye LST's, hello tears.

Now with the effort made and things gradually coming into place it's time to consider all of the other important steps in using these wonderful speakers to their fullest potential.

Other than that, it appears as though you are doing a fine job in beginning your AR-LST experience.

FMste as plain text instead

Okay, with all the glue dried and everything not moving. This is my first attempt to put everything together. They do look a bit squeezed at the moment but it is the first time my system look so tidy.

I now know what is the meaning of power hungry! They are certainly demand more power than the AR9. 

How do they sound? So far they sound the best out of the 3 pairs of speakers I have connected. I will listen to them a bit longer before deciding I should retire the AR3a.

I will leave the stands as they are until I get time and space to make a proper pair with the proper finish.

Here is a picture of the setup.

Best regards,

David

IMG_20180611_133419.jpg

Evidently, your newly constructed stands look much better when in use. I like them a lot and the double thick base really convey a sense of solidness. The color you paint them could be a medium gray or black, tough call on that choice but, being that your LST's are black.............

Other than that, you will enjoy yourself like few others can. But, you already knew that when you made your choices about which speakers to own. 

FM

Came across this image in another online thread, and just thought it could be useful here for future reference as another idea for future projects. This is a pair of LST/2's, and the material for stands looks like it might be solid white oak.

5b200c13e7d6c_AR-LST2onstands.jpg.06a13b0820edf800c3a666c3d13c9607.jpg

Hi all, 

Just had some time today to put a couple of coats of black paint on the stands. They look much better than the original bare timber. The stands now look better matched to the cabinets.

Hi Ra.ra, this is my first attempt on the stands, when I gain more woodworking skills, I will try other variations. The stands shown are very similar to John's (xmas111). 

Best regards,

David.

IMG_20180613_183530.jpg

IMG_20180613_183554.jpg

Hey David, my first thought about painting these black was that the bottom of the speaker and the top of the stand would blend together into one thick black band and ruin the proportions of the speaker cabinet, but I was wrong. Yours look much better now and fit well with that room decor.

I agree about the LST/2 stands in the pic above - - I immediately thought about the beautiful stands that John built for his LST's.  

As I type, I am listening to the LST with the Xiang Sheng 728a preamp and the Crown xls2502 with the old Sony DVP-S7000 dvd player. With average materials, you sit and think, okay! But with good clear recording, my ears just stood up and WOW, what was that !!! But at the same time, a lot of my old cd have now been packed up and most likely be disposed of.

If you can get a sample of the cd I am listening (sorry, in mandarin), you will 'hear' what I mean.

Best regards,

David.

IMG_20180614_203529.jpg

Archived