Newly acquired AR-LST

djcheung

Hi all,

Purchased a pair of AR-LST just over 2 weeks ago. Just managed to get the refoamed and some new fuses. Haven't bought the fuse replacement clips. I am very lucky that all other drivers are in good working order.

First impression, WOW, I can heard much more details that I haven't heard before on some of the material I played.

I haven't opened up the back crossover board yet, but will just listening to it for now.

I am using my previously purchased AR C-06 & P-10. I have also traced the humming issue on this pre-power amp. It is all down to a noisy power supply and a noisy electric tooth brush charger.  People say they will come alive with more power, and they are not wrong. Will try the Crown xls-2502 later.

Here is a pic of the current setup. Will try to put them on stands and against the wall.

IMG_3331.JPG

I wouldn't listen to them any further until they are properly set-up to realize what they actually sound like.

They should be at least 16 to 24 inches above the floor, about 6 to 8 feet apart, and 1 to 3 inches away from the front wall and away from the left and right corners of the front wall.

These speakers are definitely not meant to be in the middle of a room under any circumstances.

Congratulations and good luck with them as you've entered a club that doesn't have many other members.

FM

On May 17, 2018 at 9:26 AM, DavidDru said:

Cool.

I have had some KLH Model 28 stands (tulip) listed over at AK for a while now.  I bet they would be great for those.

Hope they can support the 90 or so pounds!

On May 12, 2018 at 2:35 PM, djcheung said:

Hi all,

Purchased a pair of AR-LST just over 2 weeks ago. Just managed to get the refoamed and some new fuses. Haven't bought the fuse replacement clips. I am very lucky that all other drivers are in good working order.

First impression, WOW, I can heard much more details that I haven't heard before on some of the material I played.

I haven't opened up the back crossover board yet, but will just listening to it for now.

I am using my previously purchased AR C-06 & P-10. I have also traced the humming issue on this pre-power amp. It is all down to a noisy power supply and a noisy electric tooth brush charger.  People say they will come alive with more power, and they are not wrong. Will try the Crown xls-2502 later.

Here is a pic of the current setup. Will try to put them on stands and against the wall.

IMG_3331.JPG

Nice! I've heard these several times, outstanding! I have the little brothers LST-2's, sweet speakers.

Enjoy and congrats!

Glenn

Hi djcheung,

I made some stands for my LST's s few years ago that seem to work pretty well.

If you're interested in building your own here's the link to the ones I built.

AR LST Stands

Hope it helps you out and enjoy your LST's, great speakers!

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the link to your speakers stands build.

I would like to do similar if not exactly the same design.

Unfortunately my woodworking skill isn't up to your standard and my tool set are minimal. But I will give it a go with what I can get my hands on. Watch this space and I will update with any progress.

Best regards,

David.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, djcheung said:

Hi all,

Hi there

You mentioned the fuse clips.

On a pair of LST's I found that AR had soldered them to the circuit board, rather they heated up the clips which made them fragile later on.

I had extra regular fuseholders and drilled the rivet off of those clips and used very small brass hardware to remount to the circuit board.

I did not solder any of the new mounting so that the clips should not break off in the future from being over heated.

Just a thought for today, unless you can find just the original bare FNM fuse clips somewhere.

Just do not attempt to solder them to the board.

Vern

Hi all,

Yes, I think I have found the matching fuse clips to the ones on the speakers if they are original. The problem is they are located in the U.S. and at a bulk quantity of 100 pieces. If I can find 25 pairs of AR-LST then that would be great. At the mean time I have found something similar made by Schurter. 

The fuse clips on my pair are fixed by screws. 

Here is the link to the 'correct' fuse clips.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/-100-Littelfuse-125001-Fuse-Clip-for-13-32-Dia-Midget-Fuse-30A-600V-0125001H/171199042097

Bear regards,

David

The LST is AR's ultimate expression of the classic series in the AR  line prior to the AR 9 and as such should be set-up and correctly situated in the listening room as close as possible to its given needs. I had my LST's in three different rooms and locations before this present one. Each of the previous room did not allow me to set-up these speakers to optimum advantage.  When I set them up in my present location, upon just a short period of listening, I knew this is how they would sound their best.

Since I initially approached the issue with that intent, I decided that their correct placement was my first priority for maximum enjoyment. For all intents I built the system around their needs and they were placed in the room first and all other componentry was off to the sides. The LST's solely occupy the front wall with nothing else on that same wall. As a result, longer runs and heavier gauge of speaker cables were necessary but, the excellent results are more than I can describe here. If need be, search my older posts and you'll see their dominance and obvious importance in the room.

In affect they are unusually shaped speakers with somewhat unusual needs but, if you allow for their correct power needs and room placement, the rewards can be quite satisfying. The quality,  and expansiveness of their sound has enabled me to enjoy myself more than I ever have with the other set-ups I had them in before and is further proof of the importance of correct room set-up and speaker cabinet placement.

FM

15 hours ago, djcheung said:

At the mean time I have found something similar made by Schurter. 

In order to minimize shipping costs, I'm sure you're better off finding something in the UK or EU, but if you do need to order from the US, the top four items listed here are 13/32" (10.3 mm) clips from Schurter, and two of them are screw mount - - - all under $1 apiece.

https://www.mouser.com/Schurter/Circuit-Protection/Fuse-Holders/Fuse-Clips/_/N-axfr0?P=1z1412y

I would use some DeoxIT with the brush applicator. It comes in a little cute bottle and is very helpful in keeping that fuse post's contacts and fuse free of oxidation. It's expensive but, that little bottle is less than half used and I've had it ten years.  I use it on every contact point in my system. Interconnects, tonearm wires and cartridge pins .Use very sparingly here as it could wick up into the cartridge.

On my LST's, I use spade connectors along with 12 AWG copper wires.  I coat the LST screw down connector surfaces first then a touch on the spades.  I use it on all 'RCA' inputs that go into my pre-amp and to every input component's connectors also. A little goes a long way, just a very light coating will do.    Every little change to a system can be an improvement and together can add up to slight but, important differences in sound quality.         

These fuses are large and slow-blow but, they will not protect tweeters. I know I've learned the hard way.  Miraculously, I've never lost a midrange. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:17 AM, djcheung said:

Hi there

I would suggest using small brass double nuts, bolts and lock washers, rather than those steel ones.

If you have a source for FNM fuses I would suggest a 1 1/2 amp rating maximum rather than 2 amp.

Great speakers with top end electronics.

That stool looks just the right height and strength to use as a speaker stand, just not as pretty as a dedicated stand.

Sure would be a lot less expensive though.

Vern

Hi Frank

This is a novice first attempt for the stands. They took me a long time to cut by hand. They will be painted black, so doesn't matter too much about what type of wood. The base are 2x1inch plywood and the legs are some left over 2x4 pressure treated timber. The base are different dimensions to the top due to space restriction. Will try to put them together tomorrow and see if they are strong enough.

The overall height is about 20 inches.

Best regards,

David

IMG_20180608_165628.jpg

IMG_20180608_165631.jpg

IMG_20180608_170055_2.jpg

6-8-18

Hi David, Okay, let me just say when I see wooden stands I’m usually skeptical when used under such heavy speakers.

However, if you reinforce these, you should by using long enough screws and then test these stands with your own weight on top.

I searched near and far for a couple of years until I found the metal stands I use presently. Since they were designed as stands for individual speakers, I decided to use them in a double configuration side by side under each speaker. Individually, they can support 250lbs. so, doubling will easily support the roughly 200lbs that two stacked LST’s weigh.

Anyway, I’m thinking that since you have flat wooden bottoms and you probably haven’t confirmed the speakers optimum placement, you could screw four 2 inch wheels on the bottoms which will allow you to easily move the speakers around until you find their sweet-spot.

Also, since you’re showing stands with flat bottoms, you’ll have to use medium size dense rubber feet or spikes in each corner, otherwise because of the flat-bottoms, they’d be rocky and unstable on a rug or hard floor.

It has been noted for best sound, their backs should be against the front wall and sitting on stands at the 20 inches you’ve made yours, or higher.

FM

Hello Dan.

Hi Frank,

The chosen height is due to some space restrictions. Once I have made up my mind which speaker can go, then I will adjust the stands again either adding wheels to them to make relocation easier or remake them again with properly cut timber or as in your system get some strong metal stands with the proper height.

Best regards,

David.

21 hours ago, djcheung said:

This is a novice first attempt for the stands. They took me a long time to cut by hand. They will be painted black, so doesn't matter too much about what type of wood. The base are 2x1inch plywood and the legs are some left over 2x4 pressure treated timber. The base are different dimensions to the top due to space restriction. Will try to put them together tomorrow and see if they are strong enough.

The overall height is about 20 inches.

Best regards,

David

IMG_20180608_165628.jpg

IMG_20180608_165631.jpg

IMG_20180608_170055_2.jpg

I would turn those 2x4's ninty degrees and attach them as far outside as possible on the top. Then connect tops of legs with 1x2 stringers for strength. Those speakers are heavy so legs need some bracing so they don't wobble. Good luck!

Archived