Repatriated AR collection

owlsplace

Greetings and salutations to my Classic Speaker friends.

After a tumultuous winter I am happy to report that I was able to repatriate the AR collection back to Massachusetts minus one set of early AR-5 cabs that wouldn't fit into the truck; however, Infinity and Ohm speakers were abandoned first -- all the rest made the drive from Reno, NV to Madison, WI for a short lay over then back to the Berkshires. I will be doing some more resto work and will probably have to thin out the number of ARs as my available venues are rather limited. 

Cheers, Roger

Fun to be back in my home state on this rainy Sunday morning ... yes, the AR-58's made it with their crossovers still outboard ... everyone of them was boxed ... even managed to box the ADS L980's and the Heathkit AS-2's which I never had time to play with ... will see how it goes as I attempt to settle in the area again ...

13 hours ago, lakecat said:

Welcome back...:) Will the east coast sound....now, sound better on the east coast?.....:)

It is good to be back after forty plus years in the West -- will start with the AR-5's that started this revolution for me and let you know if an East coast speaker sounds better in the East -- I suspect they will ... I gave them a decent airing in Reno with a straight dump from the cd player through an AR-SRC into an Adcom 555II playing Simon & Garfunkel's "Concert in Central Park" -- sounded like I was there. I hadn't listened to the 5's for a few years and I won't currently have the option to entertain the neighbors at my current location so it will be a little more low-key! 

On 5/5/2018 at 6:28 AM, owlsplace said:

Greetings and salutations to my Classic Speaker friends.

After a tumultuous winter I am happy to report that I was able to repatriate the AR collection back to Massachusetts minus one set of early AR-5 cabs that wouldn't fit into the truck; however, Infinity and Ohm speakers were abandoned first -- all the rest made the drive from Reno, NV to Madison, WI for a short lay over then back to the Berkshires. I will be doing some more resto work and will probably have to thin out the number of ARs as my available venues are rather limited. 

Cheers, Roger

beautiful area.  The Bershires are a nice area..LOVE those mountains.

I like Mass......alot of character and beautiful scenery.

welcome back east.  

On 5/8/2018 at 5:05 PM, michiganpat said:

geez, if you needed to lighten the load a bit, you could have dropped a few pair at my house in MI (:

I think I have an AR obsession -- I don't mind spreading the love around but finances are strained at the moment -- did notice a lovely pair of LST's on CL in Albany this morning, but ... ;)

I'm afraid you just awakened a sleeping giant!

It's only about 3 or 4 hour drive for me and I think RoyC. has room for me to crash if I'm too tired to drive back home.

Hold on,  I'm thinking now.  I could bring up all of my speakers, pay Roy for his labor and get all of my speakers repaired at once.

Roy, are you listening?

FM

P.S. I'm really itching for another set of LST's.  Isn't everyone?

9 hours ago, frankmarsi said:

P.S. I'm really itching for another set of LST's.  Isn't everyone?

Frank,

They have your name on them and appear to be in exceptional condition so I wouldn't hesitate.

Roger 

@ owlsplace, you're driving a hard bargain here. But, since you're now closer to these speakers than I,  I bet you'll get them and your life of listening will change for the better. And please, do the right thing, use only very high power to drive them.

Well, we will miss you out here Roger, but it's great to hear you are happy with the move back to the old stomping ground.  Apparently the restraining order has expired. :P Make the most of it.

On 5/6/2018 at 7:27 AM, owlsplace said:

... yes, the AR-58's made it with their crossovers still outboard ... everyone of them was boxed ...

I've not heard that story.  Could you elaborate?  As a 58S owner too, I'm curious as to why you have outboard crossovers?  A sound benefit, or a project gone mad...?   :o

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Stimpy said:

I've not heard that story.  Could you elaborate?  As a 58S owner too, I'm curious as to why you have outboard crossovers?  ...

Got caught up in a void and never finished working on them ... perhaps soon though.

Archived