Introducing the Bosar 903a tower speaker...

Stu Morgenstern

Add 1 part Bose 901 series 1 and 2 parts AR 3a. Amplify accordingly and voila! You have the Bosar 903a tower speaker. They sound surprisingly good. I have a rebuilt series 1 eq hooked up exclusively to the 901's. A Mac 7270 drives the Bose and Adcom and Nad amps on the AR's, all in a small bedroom. Bass is off the charts. Probably not the most accurate speakers ever made (☹️) but they have a “big” full sound. So far, I love 'em!

55AF9DAD-9A0B-438F-8363-F76CC95C2514.jpeg

BDF05F06-AA24-474F-8E21-D93B9363B906.jpeg

The Mac preamp (C31V) has 3 outputs-some type of mid 80’s attempt at a multi room system. I have the eq hooked up to one of the preamp outs and then out to the amp so it doesn’t affect the AR's. Plays loud, clear, and “big”! Like I always say, quantity is quality!

Yes, there is a noticeable drop off in sound quality between standing and sitting. My original thought was to tilt the 901's downward a bit but I don’t know what it would do to the sound reflectivity. Putting them between the AR's is an intriguing idea. However, the left speaker has a wall about 10 inches away to the left. If I drop it down, it won’t clear the top of the bureau and would probably confine the rear speakers' output. Thoughts or suggestions?

2 hours ago, Stu Morgenstern said:

Thoughts or suggestions?

I don't think I've ever seen a preamp, tuner, CD player and power amplifier from the McIntosh aluminum-panel series all together before - congratulations!

The gem is that MC7270 - I'd get it up off the floor. ^_^

Thanks. Believe it or not, a complete stranger gave the Macs to me for free. He was having a whole home sound system installed and wanted to replace them. 

The 7270 is actually sitting on a thick slab of concrete. The room is really small and I don’t have a lot of choices as to placement. I’m currently looking to find a sturdy used audio rack to house the amps.

I’ve  included a photo of my previous setup to help illustrate the room dimensions.

FDF4AF1D-5675-4349-9CC3-AE97A58C9F5A.jpeg

On 4/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, Stu Morgenstern said:

The Mac preamp (C31V) has 3 outputs-some type of mid 80’s attempt at a multi room system. I have the eq hooked up to one of the preamp outs and then out to the amp so it doesn’t affect the AR's. Plays loud, clear, and “big”! Like I always say, quantity is quality!

I am still amazed at how many items are hooked up!..:)...beyond my abilities. I love Macs too and use a 2205 with a mx-117. 

How high is your ceilings? Be nice to get those 901's up in corners. I love to experiment also and would love to hear this.

The ceilings are 8 feet, room is 10 x 15. It’s tight but absolutely sound proof. I can blast away and my wife can’t hear a thing!

I have come up with the first Bosar 903a modification. There is a noticeable improvement ?. Also a greater chance of disaster! ?

I will call them the Bosar 903a improved.

CFF349C6-C53E-495A-BA90-656E4DE0E202.jpeg

On 4/17/2018 at 5:21 PM, genek said:

Considering that the Bose doesn't have much in the way of vertical dispersion, it should probably be closer to listener height, in between the two ARs.

I agree and would also suggest ditching the dresser in favor of a consolidating rack for the gear and turntable. That’s taking up space that’s hurting your ability to fine tune the speaker locations.

Bill

6 hours ago, nefertem said:

Hi Stu I liked your previous speaker setup with all AR Speakers 

Stu,

How would you compare the Bosar 903a to the AR-3a/3a/2ax (8ax? 322ax? 332ax?)?

Kent

Dresser has to stay for now. My wife wants to keep it and there is nowhere else to put it. Besides, it is built solid like a rock with zero vibration issues. Very important in a small room. 

The all AR setup that I had previously was also very impressive. I came across the Bose for a great price and decided to try something different. To my ears, they really integrate well with the 3a's. I match the volumes with the MC 7270 level controls. 

I’m not saying the new setup sounds better, just different. The Bosar sounds more spacious, like the room was bigger. Bass seems a little punchier.

After I play around for a while, I’m going to swap my Audio Technica 440 mlb cartridge with a vintage Shure V15 type IV that I found a while back. It didn’t match well with the old rig. We'll see what happens.

Archived