Bought one pine early AR3a.....

lakecat

Well..finally got a nice day in the hood...so worked on this pain in the butt cabinet. I think I have reached what I want on top. Lots of bleaching and experimenting. The wood paste I tried....failed. Two pics...one of the top.....and side that is about to get its treatment. 

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

12 hours ago, ra.ra said:

Wow....I never thought you could ever get that much stain out of that pine plywood - - the solid birch nosing looks very good, too. Great work!

Ye of little faith...lol. It was a challenge for sure. Coats of bleaching and utility razor blades for scrapping to lessen sanding got her looking decent...then sanding.

1 hour ago, JeffS said:

Great job! The bleaching really did the trick.

Last summer I passed on a near perfect pair of unfinished 4x's that had been stained. I didn't think they would ever clean up this well.

Thanks Jeff. I have been working around wood for over forty years. I experimented some before coming to the conclusion that bleaching would work. Straight chlorine bleach coats....probably six or seven coats brushed on and left to dry. Scrapping the veneer with blades between coats. Last coat of bleach was scrubbed with fine nylon brush....then sanded with 150...then 220. Baby smooth now.

The side veneer still needs one more coat of bleach and final sanding.

Nice job 'cat!

I remember back in the '50s my dad installed knotty pine paneling in our rec room but he didn't want it to yellow with age as it would with just varnish over the raw wood so he used  thinned white paint to get the kind of white-washed effect you have there. Cool.

-Kent

9 hours ago, JKent said:

Nice job 'cat!

I remember back in the '50s my dad installed knotty pine paneling in our rec room but he didn't want it to yellow with age as it would with just varnish over the raw wood so he used  thinned white paint to get the kind of white-washed effect you have there. Cool.

-Kent

Thanks Kent. Thankfully, your dad didn't have stained pine to start out with!..lol. I love how it brought out this crazy graining. Usually a digital pic makes things look better than real life....but it's the opposite here. This cabinet looks better than the pics..

The drivers have surprised me too. The mid is set less than half and tweeter is three quarters. This tweeter is strong still....amazingly.

Got the grill done today so all finished. Used 1/4" plywood and added cut down paint sticks to add depth for staples on grill cloth. I also painted the grill before cloth with the paint I used for the whitewash.  I really like this cabinet....and to think I hated pine for years....:)

IMG_4439.JPG

Archived