strange looking 12 inch woofer. anyone see this before?

harry398

On 3/31/2018 at 6:46 AM, harry398 said:

I assume you are referring to the shape of the magnet? Nothing strange about it...This was the version of the AR-12 inch woofer used in the AR-3a in the very early 70's. It is the same as "A.2" shown on page 27 of the AR-3a restoration guide in the CSP Library. Based on some data we collected, there were roughly 20,000+/-  3a's equipped with this woofer.

Roy

yes, I was referring to the split magnet on one of these.....and the other was solid all the way around.

I never saw one like that, but I guess that how it was. 

yes, it came out of a ar3a from early 70's it seems...front mount mid-tweeter connections

I removed the dustcap Klaus...to shim it.

I just refoamed it.  I used  Springfield speakers kit.  The seal is OUTSTANDING with their surrounds.   I had some real BAD experiences with MIDWEST speakers not making any seal.

I guess the sticker on the woofer was the shop that refoamed it previously, they used a split surround.  no seal.

thanks

5 hours ago, harry398 said:

Thanks for the info Roy

A while back I think you made comment on these woofers vs the later Tonegan woofers...and that a coil needs to be added if using a later model Tonegan woofer?

No...You may be thinking of the cloth surround/alnico woofer, which was used with a smaller inductor in the first iteration of the AR-3a.

Roy

Archived