KLH 17, variance in impedance, pair of tweeters

Nordfinn

I asked Roy for his thoughts on the buzzing and he had the following thoughts:

• I would first verify the distortion is apparent with more than one amp and/or with reversed amp channels.
  • Some of these woofers have pretty worn suspensions. If it is definitely confined to one speaker, he should run the speaker with the woofer disconnected to verify the distortion is indeed being caused by the tweeter. Woofer issues can be deceiving.
  • I'm not aware of a general buzzing issue with these tweeters, but cone leads sometimes break. If he is 100% sure it is a tweeter issue, it will likely need to be replaced. These are seldom repairable.
  • It is extremely unlikely to be a capacitor or other crossover component.
  • Although unlikely as the cause, check for crossover wires touching cabinets walls or the tweeter/woofer frames.

Thanks much, to both you and Roy.  Much appreciated.  I've already done the first, will proceed with the rest.  One question: Is it possible to run with the woofer disconnected and the xo still in the circuit, or do you mean connect the tweeter direct to a source?

If I can't solve the buzz, I may get them off to a professional.  Anybody have experience with Audioproz in the Boston area? 

N.

8 hours ago, Nordfinn said:

One question: Is it possible to run with the woofer disconnected and the xo still in the circuit...?

Sure, Remove the woofer and connect the speaker as you normally would. To prevent shorting your amp, take care to keep the woofer's crossover leads separated in the cabinet while testing. If necessary, you can also test the woofer independently while it is out of the cabient

Roy

• 3 months later...

Set these aside for a time, out of frustration.  One question, if anyone knows: What is the difference in the woofers between models 17 and 20?  The tweeters are the same, from everything I read.  Models 20s are 4 ohm, and model 17s are 8 ohm.  Is the difference in the x-over circuitry, or in the woofers themselves.  The woofers are very similar, almost identical, outwardly. 

Thanks much to anyone who knows...

N,

8 hours ago, Nordfinn said:

Set these aside for a time, out of frustration.  One question, if anyone knows: What is the difference in the woofers between models 17 and 20?  The tweeters are the same, from everything I read.  Models 20s are 4 ohm, and model 17s are 8 ohm.  Is the difference in the x-over circuitry, or in the woofers themselves.  The woofers are very similar, almost identical, outwardly. 

Thanks much to anyone who knows...

N,

It's the woofers themselves. They are otherwise identical.

Roy

Archived