Restoration stopped at woofer

Cassrat

5 hours ago, Cassrat said:

dxho,

Do you know where to get the replacement  woofer voice coils you mentioned?

Speaker Exchange sells a whole cone, surround, spider, dust cap, and coil kit for
$30: http://reconingspeakers.com/product/ar-10-1-5-vc-aftermarket-recone-kit/ or
$33: http://reconingspeakers.com/product/ar-ar2ax-10-aftermarket-recone-kit/,
depending on the size of your voice coil. Know that a new cone and surround will
not sound like the original, though I don't know how far off they would be. RoyC is
my first choice in answering that. There are no doubt other kits out there.

You might be able to just replace the coil. I don't know that offhand, though.

Rebuild kits are not inexpensive, not really meant for the inexperienced, and do not sound much more like the original AR woofer than any other modern replacement.

Vintage AR sells 10 inch adapter rings for early AR cabinets (I believe they are $10 each), which allows a conventional size 10 inch woofer to be used in place of the oversize woofers original to Cassrat's cabinets. Adapter rings provide the option to implement more readily available standard size AR 10 inch woofers. In fact, AR used similar rings to adapt later AR woofer replacements to early cabinets. Modern woofers can also be used with the rings, though they would sound more like the rebuild kit.

Roy

RoyC, dxho, and anyone I missed.  Thank you all for your input.  I was lucky enough to talk to Bill today.  With that being said...I will take the time and money.  It's a little more than I thought it would be, but was assured that given their garage kept condition (it still looks new inside...I can still tell which end they grabbed to tear the rock wool) an excellent free find, and I got lucky.  Hopefully, I can figure this in to April's bills.  He also said to replace nothing until they are fully up, and operational (all drivers running) for at least a week or more...because I may not have to, or want to replace anything else.  I will start puttering with the little stuf...I promise to do my best, and not screw this up.  Again, thank you all for your help, and will keep updating.  I am really getting curious as to what these may have sound(ed) like now...

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  I have purchased 2 new (old) replacement woofers.  Much more cost effective (I thought it was a very good price).  Battery test...good. They test at 5.6 ohms.  I was told they were removed from from working speakers, and play.  However, when I hook them up, no sound.  Could this be because the capasitors (the 6uf/4uf in the wax box) are shot?  Any suggestions?  

42 minutes ago, Cassrat said:

Update:  I have purchased 2 new (old) replacement woofers.  Much more cost effective (I thought it was a very good price).  Battery test...good. They test at 5.6 ohms.  I was told they were removed from from working speakers, and play.  However, when I hook them up, no sound.  Could this be because the capasitors (the 6uf/4uf in the wax box) are shot?  Any suggestions?  

The capacitors have nothing to do with the woofer circuit. Check your wiring and connections from the woofers to the inductor and cabinet terminals. What method are you using to connect the woofers (ie wire nuts, solder, etc)?

Roy

Morning  Roy

After ohm and battery test.....I hooked the speaker wires up with alligator clips, to see if I got sound, nothing.  So, I clipped the speaker wires directly to the woofer ends, and slowly turned up sound.  They played!!!  Remember, I never cut, removed or de-soldered anything in the speaker cabinet, other then those darn woofers.  But I will check the connections.  If the capasitors have nothing to do with it... Does the red inductor coil ever go bad?  Jeesh, I though this would be easier.  But I'm trying!  Thanks Roy.

5 hours ago, Cassrat said:

Morning  Roy

Does the red inductor coil ever go bad? 

I have never seen a bad inductor in an AR cabinet, much less in a pair of cabinets. It is any easy thing to check. Just by-pass the inductors with a small length of wire.

You most likely have a connection issue. What method are you using to connect your woofers to the crossover leads? Are the jumpers connected between "2" and "T" input terminals on the rear of your cabinets?

Roy

Roy......

I stared at those things for hours.  Finally shoved them next to each other.  Stared at them some more.  Finally I realized one speaker had the "T" & "1" terminal screws reversed.  So pulled up pictures and diagrams to figure which one I botched.  Finally got it to play!  Started to turn up the volume..... Masonite rings were loose.   So I h started gluingt that one.  The other speaker, was wired correctly, however..... I apparently did not have the nut tight enough.  The "2" had shifted from tightening the knurled screw, and was just brushing the "T" terminal. Slight adjustment, and low and behold, jt played... Masonite ring was loose.  So now I am gluing both rings.  I will try putting back together after everything dries and see what happens.  I kinda a feel like a dope for missing something so obvious.  I think I was getting "snow blind".  Roy...Thank you for hammering it in that it had to be my wiring, especially since I never removed anything.  Give me a few more days... I'll put everything back together, and give it another go around.  

2 hours ago, Cassrat said:

Roy......

I stared at those things for hours.  Finally shoved them next to each other.  Stared at them some more.  Finally I realized one speaker had the "T" & "1" terminal screws reversed.  So pulled up pictures and diagrams to figure which one I botched.  Finally got it to play!  Started to turn up the volume..... Masonite rings were loose.   So I h started gluingt that one.  The other speaker, was wired correctly, however..... I apparently did not have the nut tight enough.  The "2" had shifted from tightening the knurled screw, and was just brushing the "T" terminal. Slight adjustment, and low and behold, jt played... Masonite ring was loose.  So now I am gluing both rings.  I will try putting back together after everything dries and see what happens.  I kinda a feel like a dope for missing something so obvious.  I think I was getting "snow blind".  Roy...Thank you for hammering it in that it had to be my wiring, especially since I never removed anything.  Give me a few more days... I'll put everything back together, and give it another go around.  

Glad you are finally getting some sound out of those things! :)

Check the spider rings before you glue the surround rings. They are often loose as well, and are much easier to repair when the surround rings are not re-glued in place.

Roy

if you wanted to try get your other woofers fixed at some point,  Circuit Shop Loudspeakers in Caldonia is a more local source to check out...I'm about 50 miles from them over in Grand Haven

https://circuitshop-com.3dcartstores.com/About-Us_ep_7.html

RoyC..... Yes!  I am definitely double checking everything!  (Lol!)

michiganpat..... Thank you!  I will definitely keep you in mind since I usually go your, way about once a year, to St. Ignace.  

I'll try to solder the woofers together tonight.  Then start the other things like the sealant placement (I kept the original...still good), grilles, etc.....   I'll also try to post some pictures soon too.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived