AR is making speakers again

Bias check is monthly. I'm not sure if you need to bias adj. on expensive tube amps like Audio Research and McIntosh. It's not that hard and doesn't take long. If the tubes are still good and strong the bias drift is minimal and still within target range.

I don't know about David's amp, but most tube amps do not require regular biasing.  Every few months, if that, and/or when changing output tubes. There are plenty of amps out there that are also self biasing, so no manual biasing needed. 

Despite the constant and inaccurate preaching of a certain individual that one can only truly be doing it right if they spend a lot of money and time on it,  the fact is that excellent vinyl playback can be achieved with relatively inexpensive turntables and cartridges that are properly, but not obsessively,  set up, and clean vinyl. Like anything you can jump down the rabbit hole and be as OCD as you want, but to stay away from a medium simply because some like to ramble on about money/obsession as the the guiding principles is unfortunate. I've been an active audio participant for over 45 years, including years spent in the music business,  and have had very expensive, and not so expensive rigs, and I get much more enjoyment out of latter then I ever did out of the former. I have no desire to spend huge dollars and huge time getting everything just right to hear the most minute details of the music. That is not what, or ever has been, what music listening and enjoyment has been about for me. And I've known, and know, many professional musicians, and they feel exactly the same way. And these are people that have the money and the knowledge to get anything they want.

6 minutes ago, DavidR said:

I have a Bob Latino VTA ST-120 (based on a Dynaco amp, BUT has  many upgrades such as XFMR's and circuit board)

It looks really cool too!   Doable with stereo, but driving my 7.1 system with high output (>100 wpc) tube amps is not economically feasible.

24 minutes ago, AR surround said:

It looks really cool too!   Doable with stereo, but driving my 7.1 system with high output (>100 wpc) tube amps is not economically feasible.

32 WPC in Triode mode and 60 WPC in Pentode mode. I drive my AR91's with it but want to try my 10Pi once I recap them.

My ST120 inards.jpg

AR surround,

Absolutely!!  They really do.  You can watch the eyes glaze over when you start talking about dynamic headroom, damping factor, S/N, etc.!  Mine just smiles and quietly listens and says that's great baby!  I love her!!   I mean I don't know what it would cost, but to have someone rebuild an AR9 cabinet with the same interior volume and a tapered upper register cabinet so no acoustic blanket would be necessary, maybe even time aligned.  Wow, I really went off the rails!  lol

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:48 AM, AR surround said:

Vinyl, CD's, SACD, DVD-A, DTS-MA, Bluray Audio etc. are all at the mercy of the people doing the mastering, engineering and production, and especially marketing.   Consequently, I own excellent, very good, good, fair, poor and lousy sounding specimens in all of the formats.  

"Provenance. The most important aspect of determination of a recording's origins. Most labels don't seem to want to share that information. Most audiophiles want it." Carlspeak 2017 

AR Surround Good point   Just before we lost him, Carlspeak hinted the problem with recording quality, as with so many other great problems, has some connection with France.   Why France is involved is a different conversation and is not my question.

My question is: How to identify high quality recordings before I purchase them?

Once upon a time, with a single medium, you could generally rely on record label reputation. Some labels included information on recording equipment and quality assurance procedures. Today, except for direct to disc, as I understand it, all music medium formats- vinyl, cd, digital file, sacd, dvd, etc. - originate from a single digital source which traces a different production path to each one of its destination formats with each path having its own production quality challenges.   The sound of a the original digital file must be “shaped” differently by a production engineer to fit comfortably within technical limits of the medium while preserving and conveying an artistic sound presentation that meets user expectations. I think the art portion is the biggest problem.   

Does anyone have any clues or guidance on this?  Is there a label today that attempts to provide guidance or assure quality of recording and production in some way for each destination medium?

Adams

Note: This thread was beginning to drift of topic several posts ago and may properly belong in some other forum but there is not a Forum for Miscellaneous Germaine topics.    

Archived