Reparing AR-4 torn cloth surround with "donor" cloth from damaged woofer?

SFinSF

I'm restoring some AR-4s with cloth surrounds and thought I was finished until I noticed two small ~.5" tears in the surrounds. I have a damaged AR-4 woofer that has torn but fairly pliable, cloth. Could I use some donor pieces from this to repair my current surround? If so, should I attach from the back of the surround? 

I was thinking of using diluted tacky glue, but I know there are a whole host of ways of doing this and would like to ask the group for some suggestions.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 9:58 PM, SFinSF said:

I'm restoring some AR-4s with cloth surrounds and thought I was finished until I noticed two small ~.5" tears in the surrounds.

Hello SFinSF - - -  not sure how I missed this thread. Just to confirm, original AR-4 woofers should look similar to the first pic shown - -  the most distinguishing feature is that  the outer basket perimeter is not circular. I once had a small tear in an AR-4 cloth surround (see second pic), and following Roy's advice, I was able to repair this woofer by applying a very light finger-applied smudge of silicone sealant to the backside of the tear, and this fix (third pic) has held up well over the few years since this restoration project was completed.

AR-4 woofers.jpg

AR-4 cloth tear.jpg

mended tear.jpg