Long Shot Here - Need Schematic for old CSW "BassCube" 12S

In need of a SCHEMATIC and or a SERVICE MANUAL for an old Cambridge Soundworks "BASSCUBE 12S"

Any help or direction to a source would be greatly appreciated

A schematic for just the plate amp would take care of the total ticket!

I know this amp is totally repairable and I'm going to start with the basics that plague them all but I'd like a schematic to assist with Voltage values and transistor types

I can do this flying visual but a schematic would be an ENORMOUS time saver!

Thanks to all

Craig

Craig

Got me curious. Apparently CSW is out of business and the manuals are unobtainium. Even if they were still around they may not be of much help. A couple of years ago I phoned them with a question about my "Ambiance by Henry Kloss" bookshelf speakers. The rep told me there was no such thing--Ambiance speakers are in-ceiling models. I ended up sending them photos of my speakers!

Found an interesting thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cambridge-soundworks-basscube12-plate-amp-wrecked.699899/ No schematic but some ideas at least.

Good luck.

Kent

PS: You "may" find a suitable replacement here: http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html  I retrofitted one of his amps to my VMPS sub years ago with good results. If you have questions about dimensions etc. Steve is pretty helpful.

On 3/2/2018 at 6:45 AM, JKent said:

Craig

Got me curious. Apparently CSW is out of business and the manuals are unobtainium. Even if they were still around they may not be of much help. A couple of years ago I phoned them with a question about my "Ambiance by Henry Kloss" bookshelf speakers. The rep told me there was no such thing--Ambiance speakers are in-ceiling models. I ended up sending them photos of my speakers!

Found an interesting thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/cambridge-soundworks-basscube12-plate-amp-wrecked.699899/ No schematic but some ideas at least.

Good luck.

Kent

PS: You "may" find a suitable replacement here: http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html  I retrofitted one of his amps to my VMPS sub years ago with good results. If you have questions about dimensions etc. Steve is pretty helpful.

Hi Kent,

I just need a schematic (with voltages) don't really care about a manual proper

These plate amps are fairly simple, like PC power supplies and the fix is usually a .10 cent zener or a cap or resistor or two that's fried

I have a working unit that was given to me me (nice sub actually) that works but after a while goes into shut down

Like I mentioned, I'll probably find the issues once I open it up (just haven't has a chance this week, it's been a disaster AND I woke up the other day with a fairly serious lingual hernia to deal with, n top of all my other health crap) by just giving it a good visual, but still, I ALWAYS prefer trouble shooting with a proper schematic

And yeah, like I said in my first post, product support from Cambridge has ALWAYS sucked, even back when they were in all the malls

(don't ask me how I know)

I'm going to repair this sub- not worth it to me investing in just buying another cheaply built chines plate amp from Parts Express - they're basically all the same platform

(again, like PC power supplies)  Once the specific issue is identified I will also address all the other issues with upgrade parts (again, building as cheaply as possible like they do) 

Most of these amps are only good for a few trouble free years anyway (again, same as PC power supplies)  Even Lexicon uses the same cheap crap you'll find in an HP tower PC!  I've fixed more than a few of their $6000 dollar processor/pre-amps and all that was in them was cheap as dirt "Artesyn" switching PSs, just with a "proprietary" part number (and the Lexicon price tag of course!)

I've probably already got all the parts on hand already here at the house and Fry's has a very good selection of zeners f I need them (which seems to be one of the common failure items on these due to underrating (read building as cheap as possible) all of their boards

Thanks for your input as always

Best regards,

Craig

• 3 years later...

I did a quick search and came up empty but I suspect a good tech could troubleshoot it and figure it out. Is it worth it? I dunno. When you ask around maybe just call it a Cambridge Soundworks Model 12. I think the Mick Fleetwood thing is just some sort of special edition but still the same innerds. Where are you? I know a good tech in NJ.

Fun fact: the CSW Model Eleven was a modern version of the 1960s KLH Model Eleven suitcase stereo. The CSW Model Twelve was the successor to the Eleven. Similar but I think the electronics were changed. I have 2 KLH Elevens but no experience with the CSW.