Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'crossover'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • The Classic Speaker Pages
    • News
    • Library Additions and Corrections
  • AR and its New England Progeny
    • Acoustic Research
    • Advent
    • Allison
    • KLH
  • Other New England Speakers
    • ADS
    • AVID
    • Bose
    • Boston Acoustics
    • Bozak
    • Cizek
    • EPI
    • Genesis Physics
    • Snell
  • Speakers and Electronics In Need of a Home
    • Dahlquist
    • Dynaco
    • Rectilinear
  • Other
    • For sale / Wanted
    • Members Pictures - Speakers, Electronics, etc.
    • Mods, Tweaks, and Upgrades to the Classics
    • Other Speakers and Electronics
    • The Kitchen

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 4 results

  1. I will start this off by saying although I've dug through many threads about restoring, recapping, refoaming, repotting these speakers I am pretty much a total newbie to actually doing the things. The other day I came across some pretty decent looking AR-5s on the local marketplace. Took em home, took off the grills, and the foam is gone. Alright, I can handle that. Pulled the woofers. One measures 6 ohm, which is fine I think, and the other, open. Not great! So I dig out the rockwool and look at the crossovers: One appears to be fine, the other looks like where the resistor wire (?) is on the little board has basically burnt to a crisp including a bit of the surrounding insulation. I didn't remember to make not of which speaker came out of which cabinet but am I right to guess that the blown woofer probably came out of the cabinet with the fried resistor? My questions are: 1. What might have happened here and what kind of damage may this have caused to the blown woofer, if in fact it came out of the same cabinet? Or are these things unrelated? 2. What might it cost to get this blown woofer fixed? I'm looking around and guessing I won't be able to find the right drop in part any time soon. I'm not far from Millersound, I'm guessing that is the best place to go for a repair. Thoughts? Next move is going to be clean up the pots (or bypass) to see if the mids and tweets are functional. Then caps after that. Thanks for any help
  2. Hi, I am looking for the crossover schematics for the Allison Threes. I have a set of late model cherry Allison Threes, and a set of early first gens. Crossovers look totally different.
  3. hello classic speaker gurus! this is my 1st post, though i've been a member for a while. i am taking a look at my AR 5 crossovers to see if they need updating. i did some research and found carl's schematic (attached), another schematic (looked the same), and some pictures. so i was surprised when i opened up the box and found this: http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/Dk50KRQL/1/6272416 i expected 3 capacitors: 4uF, 24 uF and 72 uF. instead i only found one object i immediately recognized as a capacitor (i am a novice at this). it is the 4uF cap. so where are the 24 and 72 uF caps? there is a boxlike object with several wires running into it that seems to be sealed with wax? are there capacitors in there? i bought them from an engineer who said he had restored them but i don't think he remembered the details. maybe i can try to contact them. anyways, would love any advice! AR5_schematic.pdf
  4. Well, I had been warned by many here that my beloved 38 year old AR-9's would eventually need to have their crossovers recapped. I was listening to a quadraphonic SACD on my system (The AR-90's are the front speakers and the AR-9's are the surrounds) when I noticed reduced output from the right rear AR-9. I immediately stopped playing the music and used a white noise test tone on the speaker. The tweeter not only had reduced output but was crackling away. Miraculously, I was pleased to discover upon re-capping that the tweeter DID NOT BLOW. Perhaps these tweeters are very robust, or perhaps the bass-free rear channels of the quadraphonic SACD saved it, or maybe I just dodged a bullet. Anyway, I replaced all of the upper range capacitors. The three smallest capacitors are Dayton PMPC (1%); the 30uF and 40uF caps are Dayton DMPC (5%); the 24uF cap is a Solen (5%) and the 80uF cap was replaced with a Jantzen 82uF (5%). I used Dayton or Janzen wherever possible as I understand that the Solens sound a bit brighter based on what I've read in these pages. I sent the old Callen capacitors, except for one of the 6uF units, to my cousin for measurement. The results are shown in the attached diagram: - One 6uF cap was off by 400%. This is the one that probably had failed and caused the immediate problem with the tweeter. - Both 30uF caps were way off by over 40%. - All the 4uF and 8uF caps still measured very close to their ratings. - The 24uF, 40uF and 80uF caps were in the range of 20% or less than nameplate. Given that both of the the 80uF caps were very close to each other at +15%, I suspect that they have always been that way. It is interesting to note that the AR-9's now sound somewhat clearer the the AR-90's but the 90's sound a tad sweeter. The AR-90's are a bit more forgiving and sound better with crappy source material while the AR-9's are more revealing and sound better with great sounding source material. Regardless, the upper range crossovers of the AR-90's will get redone next month as doing so is inevitable. Much thanks to all of you who provided input on this site regarding recapping these speakers. It was very helpful. AR Surround
×
×
  • Create New...