Jump to content
The Classic Speaker Pages Discussion Forums

Curt55

Members
  • Content Count

    7
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About Curt55

  • Rank
    Newbie

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Sorry I should have been more specific. The last two photos are of where I focused my attention when I decided not to do anything to the AR1. They are my work in progress rebuilding the crossovers in a pair of AR3a
  2. The trim may be birch or maple, it is easier to mill than pine, The plywood is pine most likely AC fir. Unfinished utility cabinets
  3. My Dad had them built into the wall and he had a magnetic catch , you can see the two screw holes, that secured a louvered shutter that was hinged. I can only guess that my Mom requested the shutter, but who knows. They were in the living room wall. I can easily fabricate new trim out of cherry and the veneer the raw wood cabinets.
  4. I decided to do nothing. I can live with a few dead spots on the rheostats. Here are some photos of the cabinets , and what I did in the meantime. If you think leaving the cabinets original is best , I will take your advice. I would like to veneer them though if it would not hurt the value.
  5. Thanks guys, I see the light. Do you think I need to get to the original pots. There are some dead spots but I can live with it . The cabinets are unfinished and not in great shape. My thinking was to fabricate new cherry trim and apply cherry veneer. I am a retired woodworker so my fabricated trim would be an exact replica. Those aircraft rheostats have the 3rd tap inside the covers and my thinking was I could silver solder over some coils at one end to get to 15 ohms. I will save that experiment for a pair of 3a. I think they require 16 ohm.
  6. Hi all, I am a new member but have been lurking recently. I am about to get behind the AR1 woofer and replace the cap with a Solon PB 24UF and the rheostat. The rheostats I plan to use are military aircraft surplus 17 ohm 50 watt. They came in a sealed aluminum clad bag with desiccant and a colored dot indicator that reacted to the humidity slowly after I opened the bag. Very cool I thought. They were packaged in 1960. Here is a photo of one woofer and 755. I have a questions about the woofer. Do you think the surround needs more goo ( is that the correct term). When I depress the cone rebounds slowly and takes about 2 seconds. I have been successful in the past with newer drivers using a slight vacuum to repair dust caps, and dome tweeters. Should I try that or leave well enough alone. It looks like it is going to be a bear to release the woofer from the sealant, slow and careful I will go. Electrical duct seal is what I plan to use for re bedding. Here are some photos
×
×
  • Create New...