Original AR4's? (need info!)

Fox682

I've uploaded some photos to imgur so you can see them.... They are quite high resolution (though some of the photos didn't turn out that well in my opinion)

I THINK these are a pair of Original AR4's

I'm looking to see if

1) Are these originals?

- Do they show any signs of modification or Different Hardware?

2) Where can I find some information so that in the future I can collect parts (Preferably original ones) so that they can be maintained and repaired if needed for as long as possible.

I'm not up to opening these guys without getting some information first as to what I'm dealing with. I'm not what you'd call an audiophile and I'm probably pretty young compaired to most of you. I'm a Computer Engineer-kind of geek.

I appreciate good audio! That and I love old electronics anyways.

I've given them some power and ran some audio through them, They didn't distort or crackle from what I could hear.

Let me know what you guys think!

Here's the Album Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/XefZL#5

(56K warning, the original Images were taken from a Nikon D7000 and are pretty high resolution)

Yep, by all appearances those seem all original, with regards to cabinets, woofers, tweeters and paperwork, at least. The one exception being, of course, the black paint applied to walnut cabinet, linen grille cloth, and metal badge. If you're not up for stripping paint to reveal original walnut, black cabinets could be real nice, but I'd suggest you think about replacing the grille cloth and trying to restore the badges.

If this is your first restoration, please be very careful removing the woofer - - - sometimes the woofer sealing putty is very tenacious and needs some gentle persuasion to break the seal before letting go of the woofer frame (basket). Remove four screws, and then use something like a wide blade flat screwdriver at several points on the perimeter to pry it free.

I am working on a second pair of AR-4's currently, and I've only taken them apart enough to confirm what's inside (should be just the pot control, a single coil and a 6 uF cap, see below). Second pic is a full frontal, and third pic shows charming little ink stamp on the inside of the cabinet left by the fabricators. Below are a few links for some added information.

Archived