3a Improved Dutch Ad translation

Steve F

My overseas contact provided this translation:

The AR-3A/Improved

The evolution of a new loudspeaker

Since 1959 the ‘3’ series of Acoustic Research has been the leader in the reproduction of music. It was the AR-3 that was the first loudspeaker that used the ‘acoustic suspension’ principal for low frequency reproduction. For mid and high reproduction, two special ‘dome’ reproducers, developed by AR, are used. The next step in the evolution was the AR-3a, which brought an improvement in the mid and high, made possible by choice of new materials and techniques, as well as careful dimensioning of these two reproducers. Frequency response, directivity and colouration were positively influenced by this.

Now, after several years of research and development, the AR-3a is improved. Research and manufacturing techniques, drawn from the AR-LST and several other AR loudspeakers, have enabled AR designers to change the acoustic energy response of the AR-3a/Improved to the current insights regarding acoustics.

Maintaining its characteristic properties, a small change has also made the very small colouration in the mid area disappear. The changes just took place in the crossover; other components, like reproducers and their housing, are exactly the same as with the AR-3a.

The AR-3a/Improved has an acoustic energy response which is more even than that of the AR-3a. With a 2-position switch, a choice can be made for a reflective or damped listening room.

For a reflective space (as is most common) an as much as possible uniform acoustic energy turnover has been selected, assuming an average loudspeaker placement. For a damped space, the AR-3a/Improved, with the switch in the right position, has an even frequency response, measured from the center of the loudspeaker.

The AR-3a/Improve is Acoustic Research’s most beautiful loudspeaker, developed especially for music reproduction in the living room. As with every other AR loudspeaker, the AR-3a/Improve has a 5-year warranty.

Acoustic Research International

Tempofoon BV

Kap Hatterasstraat 8

Postbus 540

Tilburg

For more information our representative in the Netherlands will send an extensive brochure.

Steve F.

post-100522-0-45634800-1313413755_thumb.

My overseas contact provided this translation:

The AR-3A/Improved

Since 1959 the ‘3’ series of Acoustic Research has been the leader in the reproduction of music. It was the AR-3 that was the first loudspeaker that used the ‘acoustic suspension’ principal for low frequency reproduction.

Now, after several years of research and development, the AR-3a is improved. Research and manufacturing techniques, drawn from the AR-LST and several other AR loudspeakers, have enabled AR designers to change the acoustic energy response of the AR-3a/Improved to the current insights regarding acoustics.

Maintaining its characteristic properties, a small change has also made the very small colouration in the mid area disappear. The changes just took place in the crossover; other components, like reproducers and their housing, are exactly the same as with the AR-3a.

The AR-3a/Improved has an acoustic energy response which is more even than that of the AR-3a. With a 2-position switch, a choice can be made for a reflective or damped listening room.

The AR-3a/Improve is Acoustic Research’s most beautiful loudspeaker, developed especially for music reproduction in the living room. As with every other AR loudspeaker, the AR-3a/Improve has a 5-year warranty.

Steve F.

Hi Steve

Thank you for posting the translation.

Interesting reading but I believe a small error was printed out.

The AR-1 or possibly even AR-1W was the first AR speaker acoustic suspension system.

It will be interesting to see in the future what the slight crossover modification changed the sound of the original AR-3A speaker system.

We can maybe adapt such a simple change ourselves.

Hi Steve

The AR-1 or possibly even AR-1W was the first AR speaker acoustic suspension system.

It will be interesting to see in the future what the slight crossover modification changed the sound of the original AR-3A speaker system.

We can maybe adapt such a simple change ourselves.

Hi Vern,

In an earlier thread about the AR-3a improved there is an excellent crossover schematic by Minh Luong and John O'Hanlon. I can't find it in the library but it deserves to be there.Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Steve

If you look at the ad itself in the first pgh, it clearly says (in Dutch) ,"Since 1959 the ‘3’ series of Acoustic Research has been the leader in the reproduction of music. It was the AR-3 that was the first loudspeaker that used the ‘acoustic suspension’ principal for low frequency reproduction."

I suspect that AR meant that the AR-3 was the first speaker in Europe to use the acoustic suspension principle. Perhaps the AR-1 series was never exported to Europe.

Steve F.

If you look at the ad itself in the first pgh, it clearly says (in Dutch) ,"Since 1959 the ‘3’ series of Acoustic Research has been the leader in the reproduction of music. It was the AR-3 that was the first loudspeaker that used the ‘acoustic suspension’ principal for low frequency reproduction."

I suspect that AR meant that the AR-3 was the first speaker in Europe to use the acoustic suspension principle. Perhaps the AR-1 series was never exported to Europe.

Steve F.

Hi Steve

You may be quite right, thank you.

Hi Vern,

In an earlier thread about the AR-3a improved there is an excellent crossover schematic by Minh Luong and John O'Hanlon. I can't find it in the library but it deserves to be there.Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike

If this information is anywhere on this site it should be moved and listed under it's own model number in the AR library before it gets lost again.

I have posted a number of articles and such when I was an early member about 6 or so years ago.

They have submerged deep within the topics and should be applied to the AR library topics as are archival copies.

This is not just with AR alone.

I know what a big job it is to do.

Hi Steve F.

Thank you for the translation on the AR-3a Improved catalog. Here are the pictures and crossover info on this fine and unique AR speaker.

Best Regards,

Minh T. Luong

Hi Minh

Minh to the rescue again.

Thank you very much for posting these.

The schematic sheet is particularly informing.

Has anyone transposed the AR-3A and AR-3A improved schematic and attempted to create a conversion from AR-3A to improved?

Even if only the crossover and not the drivers if they should be different.

Archived