2ax stands...

1OldRocker

Seems to me that I have read several posts from people looking for AR stands that will fit the 2ax, so I thought others might want to read this...

After restoring my 2ax's I began to think about getting stands for them. I did some research and decided I really liked the "X" type stands AR used to make. Unfortunately, these are too large for the 2ax. Being a crafty old guy, I figured I'd make 'em myself! I didn't use any special tools - just a basic table saw. If you make your own, just be sure to use a hardwood.

My stands are 11'' high, just like the originals and I tried to size my stock the same as the original stands. I used 1" square stock for the legs and 3/4" x 2" stock for the cross pieces. Since the 2ax isn't exactly square, the stands had to fit together at a slight angle. Instead of fitting together at a 90 degree angle, these fit together at an 81 degree angle. I marked out the slots for the cross pieces at their centers and cut them on the table saw using the miter gauge - just made several cuts and widened the slot a little at a time until I had a snug fit. I attached the legs to the cross pieces with a mortise and tenon joint, all cut on the table saw. I glued the joints and pinned them with finish nails and they are nice and strong.

post-105274-1281485036.jpg

This pic shows the slight angle. Cross pieces are 14" with a 1/2" tenon on each side (15" total).

post-105274-1281485182.jpg

Originally, I wanted to make these out of walnut but I decided that I wanted to paint them black. I used some oak that I already had laying around, so I didn't even have to spend any money on these! I also had some self-adhesive felt pads I put on top to protect the speakers.

post-105274-1281485271.jpg

I'm pretty happy with these. They are nice and sturdy! If you are kind of handy and have access to a table saw, you might want to consider building your own 2ax stands. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Yeah Mike, It has crossed my mind to make these stands tilt the speakers back a bit. I thought about cutting 1/2" or so off the back legs. I suppose with some type of threaded spikes, like you mentioned, there might be a way to make the tilt adjustable. Good idea!

Tom

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks guys! Yeah Mike, It has crossed my mind to make these stands tilt the speakers back a bit. I thought about cutting 1/2" or so off the back legs. I suppose with some type of threaded spikes, like you mentioned, there might be a way to make the tilt adjustable. Good idea!

Tom

Hi there

I still own 2 pairs of original AR walnut speakers stands.

They have been used a very brief time as they were not suitable for intended use, in my opinion.

Of the two pairs they both appear to be made in different factories and possibly time periods.

Their method of attaching the uprights to the cross-bars are different.

With the original felt pads that AR supplied for on top of the uprights a slight bump and over the speaker would fall.

The only classic speaker AR made that was not suitable for use was the AR-4X's because of it's smaller base size.

The only limitation would have been was the corner to corner support with the speaker sitting only on the uprights, not the cross-bars.

Even heavy AR-3A's move if slightly bumped.

Attempting to further change the angle of the speakers would invite even greater potential instability.

There certainly a place for speaker stands but no pets or children would be a start.

• 3 months later...

Archived