AR-7's with walnut cabinet thrift find

smccheese

Hello AR Enthusiasts,

I am writing to continue with the historical documentation of another set of AR-7 speakers recently found at a local thrift store this past weekend. This is my first set of AR's; most of my other East Coast speakers are KLH - Model 5, 17 and 22's. Attached are photo's showing the condition of the speakers, as well as the insides. I can't seem to find history of serial numbers to date them. The serial numbers are 002362 and 003277. The speakers were in pretty rough shape cosmetically, but appear to be functioning. I am in the process of refoaming and recapping. I've already sanded and refinished the cabinets, but will share those images once the full restoration is complete. I am interested in finding the approximate date of production. I'm assuming it would've been around 1973ish based on what I've learned was the start of this run for these speakers. I must say that I was completely blown away at the clarity of these speakers, even with the deterioration of the surrounds. I am looking forward to completing this project. I just want to contribute to the documentation of these classics and share my enthusiasm with those whom appreciate it - they're not getting much appreciation in this household - just "more speakers? Do you really need 10 pair?"

post-103965-1254411423.jpg

post-103965-1254411535.jpg

post-103965-1254412269.jpg

post-103965-1254412289.jpg

post-103965-1254412303.jpg

post-103965-1254412329.jpg

post-103965-1254412367.jpg

post-103965-1254412385.jpg

"more speakers? Do you really need 10 pair?"

Nice find! I too have the walnut veneer--they are currently the rear speakers in my home theater, with AR4x's as fronts. The veneer ones are relatively "rare". Of course the vinyl ones SOUND just as good, but the wood is just nicer. SNs are 008517 & 008518

I'm sure many (most?) of us can relate to the "do you really need 10 pair" sentiment but it sounds like you have a tolerant spouse (as do I).

Enjoy!

Kent

I am interested in finding the approximate date of production.

If you take a look at the numbers stamped on the back of the drivers, you will be able to tell approximately when they were made. It will have a three digit and and a four digit combination, the four digits will consist of weeknumber and year of production of that specific driver.

I have a set of walnut veneer AR-7 as well, and although the sound is the same as the vinyl veneer ones, the touch is very different.

BRgds Klaus

If you take a look at the numbers stamped on the back of the drivers, you will be able to tell approximately when they were made.

Klaus,

Thanks for the info. Driver numbers are 538 7247 and 538 7250.

These would've been some of the first batch sent out for production, if the 1973 release period is accurate.

Do you know what the number stamped inside the box near the caps would represent? I'm just curious.

Cheers,

S

Do you know what the number stamped inside the box near the caps would represent? I'm just curious.

No I have not seen that kind of numbers in the (mainly European made) cabinets I have been into, could it be the part number for the cabinet, maybe?

BRgds Klaus

Hello AR Enthusiasts,

I am writing to continue with the historical documentation of another set of AR-7 speakers recently found at a local thrift store this past weekend. This is my first set of AR's; most of my other East Coast speakers are KLH - Model 5, 17 and 22's. Attached are photo's showing the condition of the speakers, as well as the insides. I can't seem to find history of serial numbers to date them. The serial numbers are 002362 and 003277. The speakers were in pretty rough shape cosmetically, but appear to be functioning. I am in the process of refoaming and recapping. I've already sanded and refinished the cabinets, but will share those images once the full restoration is complete. I am interested in finding the approximate date of production. I'm assuming it would've been around 1973ish based on what I've learned was the start of this run for these speakers. I must say that I was completely blown away at the clarity of these speakers, even with the deterioration of the surrounds. I am looking forward to completing this project. I just want to contribute to the documentation of these classics and share my enthusiasm with those whom appreciate it - they're not getting much appreciation in this household - just "more speakers? Do you really need 10 pair?"

smccheese:

Your AR-7s were built somewhere in the 1973 time-frame. AR only built the wood-veneer cabinet models for about a year before going strictly to walnut-grained vinyl in 1974. However, that said, the first AR-7s were not actually walnut; the wood was birch or similar, and stained in walnut and finished in an oil finish. AR-6s, 2axs, 5s, 4xs and so forth were actually walnut veneer with an oil finish.

The original selling price for a pair of AR-7s in 1973 was $60/ea; in 1974 that price went up to $69/each, and by 1975 -- last year of manufacture -- the price had gone to $75.00/each. AR-7s were always packed two-to-a-carton for shipment.

AR-7s were great little speakers!

--Tom Tyson

Hello S,

What strikes me as unusual is that your photographs show an AR-7 with the tweeter offset right-of-centre (assuming the photos have not been flipped). Are they both like this?

At present I have 3 pairs of AR-7, all wooden veneer; one pair are in the low 004xxx serial range, (American made, drivers date from Feb 73, same caps as yours, but the cabinets have a darker colour finish). They have the tweeters offset to the left (when the units are viewed/orientated vertically), as have my others. To date, any pictures or documentation that I have seen, show the AR-7 tweeter on the left.

You may have found something quite rare!?

Robert_S

post-101656-1254592398.jpg

Tom,

Thanks for your input. This is why I put this out to the AR community to learn more about these speakers. I've searched everywhere online for info and am sure others will in the future. I really enjoy finding cool old gear and learning from the experience. The history is almost as fun as hooking them up and enjoying their sound!

S

Hello S,

What strikes me as unusual is that your photographs show an AR-7 with the tweeter offset right-of-centre (assuming the photos have not been flipped). Are they both like this?

At present I have 3 pairs of AR-7, all wooden veneer; one pair are in the low 004xxx serial range, (American made, drivers date from Feb 73, same caps as yours, but the cabinets have a darker colour finish). They have the tweeters offset to the left (when the units are viewed/orientated vertically), as have my others. To date, any pictures or documentation that I have seen, show the AR-7 tweeter-left, as such.

You may have a something quite rare!?

Hi Robert,

Yes, both are like this; both tweeters are right of center. I just double checked the second speaker. This is really interesting. I didn't even notice this when viewing other images of the AR7. My brain just flipped them around.

Perhaps it was someone's first day on the job and they flipped the front piece when assembling the cabinets?!

I wonder how this effects the sound design vs the standard versions?

S

I doubt the sound would be affected by the paired left/right offset variation, given that the distance between the drivers, the geometry per unit, remains essentially the same.

What your find enables you to consider, should the notion appeal, is a valid excuse to seek another early pair, (left-offset tweets)—and put together (perhaps the world's only known?) two pairs of driver-placement mirror imaged AR-7.

. . . they're not getting much appreciation in this household - just "more speakers? Do you really need 10 pair?"

Necessity and desire bear no relation!

Robert_S

What your find enables you to consider, should the notion appeal, is a valid excuse to seek another early pair, (left-offset tweets)—and put together (perhaps the world's only known?) two pairs of driver-placement mirror imaged AR-7.

Robert,

I like the way you think! What's really the difference between 10 and 11 pair? And that would be very unique, for sure.

This brings up another point. I was about to attempt my first refoam job on these guys. Should I save this pair until I have more experience? ($70 a speaker was the quote from a professional in town) Which gives me an excuse to add yet another pair since none of my other speakers are in need of a refoam (most are KLH)!

Thanks,

S

Robert,

I can't believe this, but I was mistaken about the second speaker's tweeter set right of center. I started cleaning for the refoam and had them side by side. One is right of center (earlier serial number) and the other is left. So I have one pair of driver-placement mirror imaged AR-7's!

I also discovered that I have two different cones. There is a member named Vesa that brought up this issue on a previous thread. The serial numbers on both of his drivers are identical to my drivers:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...;f=3&t=4305

I wonder if he has a similar issue with the cabinet tweeter positions?

S

Hello S,

Maybe it's for the best, I did feel a pang of guilt in encouraging you to seek out even more speakers. (Welcome to ARcaholics Anonomous, my name is Robert, I have been living with this addiction, off and on, since 1977.)

Still, the fact that you have a mirrored pair is certainly of some interest—this is the first time I've heard of such a thing (thought I don't know enough about early production-run AR-7 to speak authoritatively).

One thing I've learnt about classic AR speakers, is to expect the unexpected, especially when it comes to behind-the-grille matched-component consistency. AR's concern would appear to have been, first and foremost, consistency with the quality of sound. I recall reading that many drivers were deemed not-up-to-scratch, and were trashed/replaced, during the testing of assembled units. This could in part explain the frequency of 'mismatched' drivers appearing in units that are close, even consecutive, regarding serial numbers. The replacement driver installed would be out of chronological synch (in the component batch queue), and minor differences (like, for example, subtle per-batch changes in the colour of the cone material) would seem frequent. (I'm merely surmising here, so if anyone knows better, please contribute corrections!)

In your case, given that someone else has noticed the same inconsistency between two drivers, bearing the same (three weeks apart) date codes, I'd guess that they delineate a change, either with the cone supplier, the implemented design, or the manufacturing process, sometime during that three week period.

As Tom Tyson has previously noted, the early AR-7 woofer was AR Part #10708-1, whereas later this was changed to the #200001-1 driver (see enclosed System Assembly drawing for the 1976 flavour vinyl-clad AR-7 specifications), but again, in your case, this may not be relevant as the cone-type anomaly that you have observed possibly pre-dates the introduction of the 'Universal' 200001-1 8-inch woofer, given the date stamp on the basket/magnet assembly.

My advice: fix 'em up, listen to them, and if you can hear a difference between them, perhaps that is the time to seek a driver that matches the better of the two.

I wonder if he has a similar issue with the cabinet tweeter positions?

That's not something that I would consider to be an issue, more an intriguing and fortuitous discovery!

Robert_S

post-101656-1254687347.jpg

Unusual AR-7?!

post-101656-1254687386.jpg

AR-Drawing464 - AR-7 System Assembly 1976 (@25% scale).

AR only built the wood-veneer cabinet models for about a year before going strictly to walnut-grained vinyl in 1974. However, that said, the first AR-7s were not actually walnut; the wood was birch or similar, and stained in walnut and finished in an oil finish. AR-6s, 2axs, 5s, 4xs and so forth were actually walnut veneer with an oil finish.

--Tom Tyson

Hello Tom,

It may interest you to know that on this side of the pond, AR-7 were available with both genuine walnut and genuine teak veneer. I know because I have a pair of each, and also an earlier pair of the stained (birch?) wood veneer version that you mention.The latter were a puzzle to me, as despite the original shipping carton bearing two labels, marked "colour walnut", they did not look anything like walnut; much too dark overall, with the grain pattern running in parallel bands, exhibiting a chatoyant luminosity, much like the gemstone tiger's eye. They do, rest assured, look superb, and your explanation solves the aforementioned conundrum.

The ersatz-walnut vinyl-finish model seldom appears here in the UK; the teak veneer version seems to have prevailed.

Unfortunately my digital camera is temporarily out of commission, but I do have some images, sourced from online-auctions, of the (real) walnut and teak veneer European editions, for reference.

Walnut Veneer AR-7:

post-101656-1254749537.jpg post-101656-1254749548.jpg post-101656-1254749556.jpg post-101656-1254749567.jpg

Teak Veneer AR-7 (Set 01):

post-101656-1254749950.jpg post-101656-1254749962.jpg

Teak Veneer AR-7 (Set 02):

post-101656-1254749971.jpg post-101656-1254749979.jpg

'Tis a rare thing indeed sir, to be able to inform you on matters concerning classic AR speakers.

Robert_S

Hello Tom,

It may interest you to know that on this side of the pond, AR-7 were available with both genuine walnut and genuine teak veneer. I know because I have a pair of each, and also an earlier pair of the stained (birch?) wood veneer version that you mention.The latter were a puzzle to me, as despite the original shipping carton bearing two labels, marked "colour walnut", they did not look anything like walnut; much too dark overall, with the grain pattern running in parallel bands, exhibiting a chatoyant luminosity, much like the gemstone tiger's eye. They do, rest assured, look superb, and your explanation solves the aforementioned conundrum.

The ersatz-walnut vinyl-finish model seldom appears here in the UK; the teak veneer version seems to have prevailed.

Unfortunately my digital camera is temporarily out of commission, but I do have some images, sourced from online-auctions, of the (real) walnut and teak veneer European editions, for reference.

Walnut Veneer AR-7:

post-101656-1254749537.jpgpost-101656-1254749548.jpgpost-101656-1254749556.jpgpost-101656-1254749567.jpg

Teak Veneer AR-7 (Set 01):

post-101656-1254749950.jpgpost-101656-1254749962.jpg

Teak Veneer AR-7 (Set 02):

post-101656-1254749971.jpgpost-101656-1254749979.jpg

'Tis a rare thing indeed sir, to be able to inform you on matters concerning classic AR speakers.

Robert_S

Robert,

Thanks very much for your clarification! Rest assured that I learn something new every day! It's easy to overlook the Euro-ARs, and the finishes (and sometimes cabinet styles) were decidedly different from those in the US. The Teak and Walnut versions that you have are really quite handsome, and the first one's of the AR-7s I have seen in those finishes. The vinyl-clad cabinets AR used at the end were some sort of effort to lower costs for the speakers to be more competitive in the market place; soon after, the AR-7 had been replaced with newer ADD models.

One of the defining features of European-built AR cabinets seems to be the speckled-pattern paint on the back panel. I have a pair of AR-2axs from Europe, and this pair has the unusual cabinet molding on the front and the speckled back panel. Thanks for your images and for the clarification!

--Tom Tyson

Robert,

Thanks very much for your clarification! Rest assured that I learn something new every day! It's easy to overlook the Euro-ARs, and the finishes (and sometimes cabinet styles) were decidedly different from those in the US. The Teak and Walnut versions that you have are really quite handsome, and the first one's of the AR-7s I have seen in those finishes. The vinyl-clad cabinets AR used at the end were some sort of effort to lower costs for the speakers to be more competitive in the market place; soon after, the AR-7 had been replaced with newer ADD models.

One of the defining features of European-built AR cabinets seems to be the speckled-pattern paint on the back panel. I have a pair of AR-2axs from Europe, and this pair has the unusual cabinet molding on the front and the speckled back panel. Thanks for your images and for the clarification!

--Tom Tyson

The AR-7 became the AR-7x here in the UK before the ADD models . I believe it had a veneered cabinet.It certainly had a

black foam front and AR-7x badges in brass.

Does anyone know a source for the speckle-pattern paint? I could really use some.

Mike.

The AR-7 became the AR-7x here in the UK before the ADD models . I believe it had a veneered cabinet.It certainly had a

black foam front and AR-7x badges in brass.

Does anyone know a source for the speckle-pattern paint? I could really use some.

Mike.

Auto supply shops sell "spatter" pattern paint in rattle cans on this side of the pond. Never saw the speckled paint on speakers but it might do the trick.

Kent

Speckled (or spatter pattern) paint forms the back finish of both my 2ax's & my 5's - both British-assembled, with, I assume, locally-made cabinets.

IMF 'Super Compacts' of the mid-1970's have a similar finish on the back, though larger models I have seen don't; perhaps the cabinets came from the same source?

Notably there is no overspray round the sides of any of the cabinets I have seen - the finish is good right to the edge of the back, however.

Similar paint, I recall, was popular as a finish of the walls of public lavatories in the same era! Sorry to lower the tone of this discussion, but it is not a finish I have seen used anywhere else!

Archived