4 ohm 3/4 inch tweeters for sale

Carlspeak

I have 6 of these for sale. They can serve as a replacement for original AR 3/4 inch tweeter. It has a coated fabric dome and 3&11/16 inch diam face plate.

Price is $10 each. Seller will provide a 4&3/4 inch adapter plate for an additional $10 each. This will allow adaption of the 218V to fit an AR3a, or 2ax tweeter opening.

• 1 month later...
In response to your question John, check out the attached file.....

Carl, do you think you could shoot a pic of the tweeter in the adapter ring so we can see how it looks? Do the dimensions dictate that the ring can only be a glue-in, or could it be drilled and then the tweeter screwed to it to make a bolt-in assembly that doesn't require making permanent mods to the cabinet by gluing something to it?

Carl, do you think you could shoot a pic of the tweeter in the adapter ring so we can see how it looks? Do the dimensions dictate that the ring can only be a glue-in, or could it be drilled and then the tweeter screwed to it to make a bolt-in assembly that doesn't require making permanent mods to the cabinet by gluing something to it?

Gene:

Here is a picture of the adapter plate I can fabricate that can be screwed to the cabinet with the existing screws and holes. It is 1/4 inch thick and made of MDF and painted black. The tweeter shown is not the PE tweeter, but you should get the idea regarding how the PE tweeter would look with a screw on (NOT glued on) plate. The screwed on plate will run $20/tweeter as opposed to the glue on one I offer for $10.

post-100237-1222715746.jpg

Gene:

Here is a picture of the adapter plate I can fabricate that can be screwed to the cabinet with the existing screws and holes. It is 1/4 inch thick and made of MDF and painted black. The tweeter shown is not the PE tweeter, but you should get the idea regarding how the PE tweeter would look with a screw on (NOT glued on) plate. The screwed on plate will run $20/tweeter as opposed to the glue on one I offer for $10.

Carl, looks good, but it appears you had to machine some screw heads? Would that be needed with the PE tweeter, or is this one just bigger?

Carl, looks good, but it appears you had to machine some screw heads? Would that be needed with the PE tweeter, or is this one just bigger?

No machining Gene. That shiny screw head is simply that. I didn't have a black one left to put there so I used a new shiny one. The adapter plate comes with 3 countersunk holes to accept those large 1/4 inch flat head tweeter screws. It has a hole in the middle to clear the body at the back of the tweeter and that's basically it.

The flat head screws seat flush with the adapter plate so the tweeter can be mounted and screwed to it with self tapping screws. No rocket science here.

No machining Gene. That shiny screw head is simply that. I didn't have a black one left to put there so I used a new shiny one. The adapter plate comes with 3 countersunk holes to accept those large 1/4 inch flat head tweeter screws. It has a hole in the middle to clear the body at the back of the tweeter and that's basically it.

The flat head screws seat flush with the adapter plate so the tweeter can be mounted and screwed to it with self tapping screws. No rocket science here.

Got it. The head-on shot looked to me as if the tweeter was countersunk flush with the adapter plate rather than laying on top of it. Ok, put me down for one tweeter and one screw adapter, I'm in a mood to experiment. I'll send you an email direct to the address on your website with my address and you can let me know what the total is with shipping and how you want to handle payment. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some preliminary testing impressions using one of these in a pair side-by-side with an original 4600-1 AR-3a tweeter:

post-102742-1224563864.jpg

The test speakers were a pair of AR-3a's currently undergoing

restoration. The PE tweeter was installed in the right channel

speaker with a .15mH coil across its back terminals (not visible,

behind the tweeter), and a pair of front-wire leads soldered

to the front terminals.

The tone of the PE tweeter-fitted speaker is almost identical

to that of the speaker with the original 4600-1 tweeter in the

other speaker. The PE tweeter's level is a tiny bit higher, but

easily compensated for with the level controls. I set the PE

tweeter at the white dot and the 4600-1 at the last "E" in

"INCREASE").

The big difference between the two tweeters becomes evident

when I back away from the speakers. As I back up to a point

where I am positioned at roughly 45 degrees off the tweeters'

axes, I can hear the highs from the PE tweeter speaker falling

off, while the 4600-1 is still audible at more or less full strength.

With two original 4600-1 tweeters, the listening "sweet spot"

extended more or less across an entire room, but with the PE

tweeter in one speaker, when I am positioned to the side of

each speaker at an off-axis angle of about 45 degrees I can

still hear the 4600-1 while the highs from the PE tweeter have

more or less faded to inaudible. The result is a lop-sided

"sweet spot" that extends to several feet outside the speaker

pair on the side with the 4600-1, but not on the side with the

PE tweeter.

My initial evaluation: if you have a pair of AR-3a's with one

bad tweeter, the PE tweeter with .15mH coil is an acceptable

temporary substitute while you search for an original replacement

if you can live with a lopsided listening zone. If you change out

both tweeters, the PE tweeter can duplicate the tonal balance

of the originals, but with a significantly smaller listening

"sweet spot."

I'll post a followup once I get the new grilles on and see how

the addition of the fabric layer affects the sound.

Guest BillHoover
I have 6 of these for sale. They can serve as a replacement for original AR 3/4 inch tweeter. It has a coated fabric dome and 3&11/16 inch diam face plate.

Price is $10 each. Seller will provide a 4&3/4 inch adapter plate for an additional $10 each. This will allow adaption of the 218V to fit an AR3a, or 2ax tweeter opening.

Will these work for AR-5 tweeters? Mine put out no sound, even with pots jumped. I'm learning about refurbishing my speakers and wonder about the impedance difference between the AR-3a & AR-5. Thanks!

Bill

I'll post a followup once I get the new grilles on and see how

the addition of the fabric layer affects the sound.

New grilles are installed. As I expected, the fabric layer and the hardboard frame do reduce the dispersion of the original 4600-1 tweeter slightly, but don't seem to have much effect on the PE tweeter that had narrower dispersion to begin with. The sweetspot is still lopsided, but not as obviously so as with the grilles off.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: obtained a replacement 4600-1 tweeter from a listing on you-know-where. The difference between the 1968 dated original and the PE replacement was instantly obvious wrt tonal balance and dispersion. I'll stand by my initial impression that the PE tweeter is an acceptable temporary stand-in while you hunt for an original, and that long-term replacing both tweeters would be perfectly listenable if you can live with the accompanying semi-collapse of the soundstage. But if your goal is to restore a semblance of the original AR-3a performance, it's still no replacement for the original 60's-70's dome units.

• 5 months later...
Guest venice52

Hi, I read your post yesterday. Do you still have one or a couple of your tweeter?. Are they from AR or from third part? If from AR, which is the part number printed on the back label? Can you make a photo? I still own and use a couple of AR3a Impr. They sound great!

Thanks for your attention

Guest venice52
The AR5's impedance is 8 ohms. The PE tweeters are 4 ohm and usable in the 3 & 3a.

I have one original AR 3/4 inch tweeter rated 8 ohms I'm willing to sell. PM me for pricing, etc.

Archived